THE TROUBLE WITH LGBTQ

I have no problem with people who identify as a different gender than how they were born. In today’s world, it is certainly more acceptable than when I grew up in the 1940s and 50s. If a man feels more like a woman, and a woman more like a man, and they prefer to live those lifestyles, it is not only acceptable in 2019, it is also protected.

But have we gone too far?

No matter what mentality exists within a man or woman, and regardless of surgical procedures, nothing can ever change the fact they were born with the genetics and body parts of one sex or another (with rare exceptions). It’s no secret that male athletes will naturally develop higher muscle density and heavier bone structures. That’s nature.

I would be uncomfortable seeing a male adult, however altered, enter a ladies bathroom knowing my female child was inside. That’s not being a bigot, that’s feeling protective. No matter how a transgender adjusts the human body, some are naturally very tall and muscular, obviously male. In public places, the doors to rest rooms are designated by gender. Gender doesn’t change just because someone “feels” like the other sex.

Now, the issue of transgender rights is entering the world of sports. In 2018, two transgender high school sophomores Terry Miller and Andraya Yearwood came in first and second place, respectively, in the 100-meter race at the Connecticut State Open Finals angering some parents who complained they had a competitive advantage over non-transgender students. Miller also won the top prize for the 200-meter race representing her High School in Hartford. They were both born male, but they now identify as females. How unfair can it get?

If I had a super athletic daughter who was defeated in a power competition or speed race by two male-born athletes claiming to be female, I’d be angry too.  And I worry that this trend will spread via intimidation of sports systems that do not want to be labeled as bigots.

On the racial side of things, this is not different than the scandal about Rachel Dolezal of Washington State, who rose to become president of the NAACP chapter in 2014. The woman claimed to be African American when it was proven she was a Caucasian imitating a black, in order to acquire benefits. No matter what efforts were made to change her hair and darken her skin color, she is still Caucasian.

One wonders in the next fifty years, how will people be labeled according to race or gender, when the markers become blurred and anyone so inclined can be anything they wish so long as they claim it their “right.”

Homosexuality is an historical reality. Great artists Michelangelo and Leonardo DaVinci are believed by historians to have been gay men. Revered personalities on planet Earth have been gay, including people like Rock Hudson, Peter I. Tchaikovsky, Johnny Mathis, Ellen DeGeneres, Jodi Foster and Florence Nightingale. They would all come under the modern umbrella known as LGBTQ, (Lesbian, Gay, BiSexual, Transgender and Queer or Questioning).

But, why queer? According to my research, this is supposed to identify all other sexual orientations beyond the first four letters, which basically means anything and everything.

I find “queer” to be a pejorative term which, to my sense of identity, does more to denigrate than to designate people who attach to a multi-sexual label. As a youngster in school, I experienced a series of horrible experiences, bullied repeatedly by kids circling me screaming “Queer.” For anyone, no matter their orientation, to be called a queer is the most denigrating of all labels. If I were gay, I would insist that the letter “Q” be removed from the acronym.

Sports is all about fair competition. When it comes to athletic achievement, I think we need to draw a line and stop giving artificial advantages to athletes because they “identify” as another gender, but still make use of the body they were born with.

(I have authored 15 books, half fiction, half-non-fiction. Best seller has been my book of memoirs titled, “From Violins To Violins.” Signed copies available, just send me an e-mail) For more details visit www.marshallfrank.com

16 Responses to THE TROUBLE WITH LGBTQ

1. Jack deRemer May 29, 2019 at 10:22 am #

People can change their sexual preference. That is a choice, go for it. Wear whatever you like. Sleep with whoever you like, with their consent.

Gender is biology, and cannot be changed simply by adding or removing whatever physical accessories that you may have been or wish that you were born with.

2. Donald May 29, 2019 at 10:34 am #

Marshall is absolutely right! No matter how a male is sliced up by a doctor willing to do it, he will forever have the DNA and blood type he was born with. Altering the body never changes the DNA and blood type. When a transgender female, with a his DNA and blood type dies he will still be a he no matter what his body appears to be. I’m glad I’m closer to the end than the beginning because I don’t like a lot of what is happening in our society. Watching an obvious boy go into a girl’s bathroom because he says he feels and looks like a tall, muscular female, is mind blowing. It is beyond mind blowing when the he/she competes as a she and has an obvious muscular advantage over other girls. We may reach a point when individuals born as girls will not be able to compete with transgender girls, and this could literally destroy sports as we know them.

3. Bill Schultz May 29, 2019 at 10:45 am #

I understand that the Power Lifting authority has rejected females who were born male recently. Don’t know the details but I’m sure that the SJW’s will come down upon them soon.

4. Charlie Greene May 29, 2019 at 11:28 am #

Excellent points made here Marshall and I agree with all of them.

5. Toni C. May 29, 2019 at 12:12 pm #

Great commentary as usual!

6. Rico May 29, 2019 at 12:20 pm #

Well put Marshall. However, what the vast majority of society is faced with is the giant bull horn of a tiny minority and the liberal morons who support them. How do rational people allow two born males compete against females in Connecticut? My supposition is that liberals bullied those in charge into approval! The present genitalia should be the determining factor!

7. Cliff May 29, 2019 at 1:28 pm #

I agree with your arguments.

As a retired lawyer, I am repulsed by the libs’ attempt to get LGBTQ enshrined as a “protected category” under the 14th Amendment (equal protection).

My brief research has uncovered some scientific evidence for homosexualty, so at least the “LG” part of the alphabet soup has some standing to be admitted to Constitutional protection.

But “BTQ” does not yet have any solid evidence, and their likely isn’t any. (Psychological support – it can be subjective depending on one’s view – in my book does not qualify as solid evidence the way that biological factors do.) As far as I’m concerned, each of the three is a choice. What do I want to be this week?

While we should always be respectful and civil to each other, we ought not carve out special status for “choices.” Employers should be able to discriminate (make decisions) that exclude the BTQ group. Retailers, to the extent that this subject really bothers them sufficiently to lose a sale, should be able to deny service to them.

8. Mike Carr May 29, 2019 at 3:26 pm #

Marshall. I have a real easy solution to the dilemma. I don’t care how you “identify “, if you were born with a penis, you compete against males. If you were born with a vagina, you compete with females. PERIOD. Problem solved.

9. Lil sis May 29, 2019 at 7:05 pm #

Agree with many of the above comments. I am glad I am old this subject is beyond my comprehension!

10. Just Me (Psych. R.N. retired) May 29, 2019 at 9:10 pm #

Well done, Marshall.
    A person is XX or XY unless they have a genetic abnormality. That gender each sex is
    born with gives them an advantage of some sort over the other sex, depending on what the topic is.

“Males are naturally stronger, have a different shaped pelvis and hip articulation which allow them them to run faster, and have other advantages over a female in sports. Allowing males to participate in female sports, gives them the advantage over even the best female athletes and totally ruins the femaleathlete’s chances of becoming a winner.

Further, I don’t want a male in the women’s bathroom with me, regardless of who
    he “thinks he is.” What about the woman on the internet who thinks she’s a cat? She meows, drinks and eats out of a cat dish and uses a litter box. Should she force all public bathrooms to have a litter box for her? And, not to be outdone, there was another woman on the internet who thinks she’s a pony and sometimes trots around the horse ring with a horse halter on. Should she be allowed to race against other horses? One would think, “Oh that would never happen,” but then again, I never dreamed men would be allowed to play women’s sports just because they “think they are female.”
    This PC nonsense complete with name calling if you don’t agree with them has gone
    way too far.

11. Tom Ault May 30, 2019 at 8:54 am #

When I was growing up queer was a pseudonym for strange..”queer” had little to do with anything else, except of course, all of the stories about naval incidents that were always circulating at the time.

It is beyond me how anyone with any moral aptitude would want to degrade their being a human by trying to change what God created. Yes, there will always be freaks of nature and my heart goes out to them, but when they start advertising it with the hope of gaining fame or fortune or both, it is not only degrading to the rest of us, it is degrading to anyone who had the unfortunate situation thrust upon them and are trying to lead a normal life.

12. G.R. May 30, 2019 at 10:59 am #

Good article!!

13. Jose May 31, 2019 at 9:08 am #

I sure agree with you and Mike Carr has the simple solution. My goodness, our founding fathers would never recognize the country they created as it is today. No leadership, a crazy president, a do nothing Senate, and a congress with confused priorities. Our government representatives represent their parties and not the country and a Supreme Court that has suddenly become a political football. What a mess! Men want to be women. Women what to be men. I want to be a republican, but I don’t know what it stands for anymore. Oh my!!!!

14. Linda May 31, 2019 at 9:24 am #

I liked your write up and totally agree with you. But do not have a clue on how or where we are going with this. I think we are giving them too much leeway with everything

15. John F. May 31, 2019 at 9:27 am #

We now also have the non-binary, which does not identify with any particular gender. Perhaps we will need a new classification of restrooms in the near future.
    Good article, Marshall

16. Jan Siren May 31, 2019 at 3:32 pm #

i tend to think that the “trend” of an athlete surgically changing gender to compete as another gender is transitory. A fad that will run its course – on the day when the rewards for winning in a competition among males are no more than those for winning among females. That is where the attention has to be focused. Will there someday be a female Joe Namath? Is that the question we should be asking?