WE’VE TAKEN EQUALITY TOO FAR

(This Op-Ed by yours truly appeared in the June 9 issue of Florida Today)

Some folks might call me a bigot, or some other neo-expletive, but I feel we’ve carried this “equality” thing a little too far.

Most of us ascribe to the question, “Why fix something if it’s not broken?” Yet the loudest voices within minority groups have managed to create fixes that were not needed to begin with, all in the name of “diversity” and the pandering for bloc votes.

The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America, consisting of 2.3 million and 1.8 million members respectively, are wonderful organizations that have thrived for over 100 years. They teach harmony, unity, survival skills and more. Now, the “diversity police” have altered a fully successful program by merging girls into the Boy Scouts.

Perhaps gender-neutral scouts should all be issued bras and jock straps, equally, so as not to discriminate against one sex or the other. Yes, that’s dumb. So is breaking down organizations that work well.

Then there is the discussion about public restrooms. According to a study issued by Pew Research, 3.8 percent of Americans identify as gay, lesbian or bi-sexual. Of that, 0.6 percent identify as transgender. Thus, thousands of restrooms throughout America are now being denoted as “gender neutral” in order to accommodate that 0.6 percent of America. What about the other 99.4 percent who are not transgender? Or the 46 percent of Americans polled and the 60 percent of churchgoers (Pew Research), who want to keep restrooms gender separated. Do they matter?

If a parent brings a four-year-old daughter into a restroom, do we want her exposed to the private activity of male users?

This raises another question about the LGBTQ acronym, which supposedly covers members of the gender-different community. I’m fine with minority groups seeking fairness and equality in basic constitutional rights, but the letter “Q” — which stands for “Queer” — has a negative connotation. As a young lad, when I took dancing and violin lessons, I was repeatedly bullied in school by that derogatory term, causing deep emotional problems. Can anyone explain why “Queer” needs to be included in gender sex-orientation identity? And how, exactly, is “Queer” defined?

The gender-alternative issue has impacted our military establishment. Again, we fixed something that wasn’t broken. Female divisions were functioning well and contributing toward military operations. Women in the military accessed the same benefits and opportunities as men. But, they would use their own barracks and restrooms. Yet, the Obama administration instituted a policy which allowed for transgender people in all military/combat operations and training without separatism. Never mind that Mother Nature, in general, creates males naturally bigger and stronger than females. That’s not only a fact, it’s vital in fighting wars.

Though the numbers are small, a Rand Corporation study claims that sexual-adjustment surgery for transgenders cost the taxpayer no more than $8 million a year. Cheap enough. But it begs a question: Why should American taxpayers be held responsible for costs involved for voluntary, unrequired medical surgery? That’s much like a person joining the Army so he/she can get a free nose job.

It’s good that new changes are being enacted by President Trump.

Miss America Pageant administrators have decided to drop personal appearance as an element in choosing winners. The mentality: We shouldn’t identify some women as prettier than other women. My stepfather would have said, “Oy vey.” Pageant administrators need to get over it. It’s normal. People have admired men and women’s natural assets since the beginning of time. There’s nothing wrong with beauty being an element in a “beauty” pageant.

Some folks feel that passing or failing tests and competitions is harmful to kids. Whatever happened to striving and working hard to do well?

Then there are multi-millionaire football players who complain about life in America. Sorry, no sympathy there.

Think: North Korea, Iran, ISIS, Venezuela, terrorism, domestic violence, runaway illegal immigration, addiction epidemics, economy, jobs, energy and honesty in government.

Now we’re talking about real needs for fixing.

Florida Today:   We’ve taken ‘equality’ too far

30 Responses to WE’VE TAKEN EQUALITY TOO FAR

1. Christopher Jones June 9, 2018 at 9:43 am #

Excellent. We have lost our collective minds. The Scouts will retain the BSA name, but just call themselves scouts. The girl scouts are going to remain gender specific. Go figure.

2. Helen Bennett June 9, 2018 at 9:49 am #

I agree that girls do not belong in the Boy Scouts because the BSA is a bigoted organization. They do not allow freethinkers/atheists to join.

• Pat June 9, 2018 at 3:35 pm #

I agree. They should allow all kinds of thinkers like yourself: Stupid thinke

3. Tina (Lil Sis) June 9, 2018 at 9:56 am #

Right on as usual and I had a good laugh too! Another “Glad I’m old” moment.

4. Cliff June 9, 2018 at 10:18 am #

Marsh:

I was bobble-heading up and down until I got to this sentence.

1. The intimidation is clear here. You really intended to refer specifically to BLACK millionaire players. Here’s the beef they are protesting.

2. Since you do did not grow up and live in black skin, it’s easy for you to dismiss their complaints without “sympathy.”

3. For example, in your recent piece about cops, you admit that a small minority, or similar term, are the ones causing problems in racial tension by their conduct, and that the overwhelming majority are good cops. Well, first, the BLACK community is being hurt by that “small minority” of cops, so to them it’s a BIG deal, which is why it seems out of proportion to you. Again, you don’t have the black skin. Second, it’s been 28 years since you’ve worn the badge. My bet is that you have no idea what racially motivated ATTITUDES still exist among that overwhelming majority of “good cops.”

4. I’d be interested to know how many black friends you have right now among your circle of friends. Not blacks you worked with or know from organizations, etc. I’m talking about outside-of-work social friendships.

5. And I’m not even including the recently exposed and numerous national instances of black racial profiling being reported. That profiling arises from ATTITUDES among whites. And that profiling is still alive and well among your small minority of bad cops as well as among a swath of good cops.

Thank you for allowing me to express my views forthrightly as you have in your article.

Your dear friend and neighbor who still loves you!

• Steve Gure June 9, 2018 at 2:50 pm #

The standing of cops in general have been lowered and this results in their performance in general. Unfortunately this is also, the result of the preasure to include more bl;ack cops

• Alan June 12, 2018 at 12:05 pm #

Getting tired of “poor me, I’m black.”

5. Charlie Greene June 9, 2018 at 10:21 am #

Marshall. it is beyond ridiculus. never in my lifetime would I have thought I’d see what’s happening now in the name of political correctness. I’ll bet if Trump goes back to Beauty contests on TV after he’s out of office there will be plenty of bikini’s .

6. Jim Casey June 9, 2018 at 10:29 am #

MLF the “Q” you definitively state is “queer” can also stand and more often, in my experience, stands for “questioning” but that doesn’t fit your narrative.

7. Dick L. June 9, 2018 at 10:31 am #

At my work they say the Q is for Questioning. Aka ‘can’t decide’.

Beauty contests with no beauty Criteria? Name change? Congeniality Contest. Just a thought. DL

8. Catherine June 9, 2018 at 10:33 am #

I’m sure you have heard by now, but “Q” stands for “questioning”, which is just as bad a “queer”, perhaps even worse. I mean, who doesn’t know if they are male or female?

The woosification of America, championed by Obama has had a disastrous effects on the young men and women of the millennial generation. Perhaps a topic for a future column.
    Just look around. Even during the worst of the 60’s, young men with long hair still were virile young men. today we have “soy boys” who couldn’t defend their wives or girlfriends if their very life depended on it. The young women are not much better off – attempting to out-degrade themselves ala the Kardashians. It is a sad and pathetic generation.

Granted, there are a few god-fearing young people, raised in families of faith with both a mother and a father, who understand the roles God designed for them, but we are losing ground fast.

Anyway, have a nice day.

9. Frank M. June 9, 2018 at 10:39 am #

We have gone down the rabbit hole…….we are doomed. The inmates are running the asylum as we have gone far beyond the pale.I fear for the future and for my grandson.

10. Joe June 9, 2018 at 11:43 am #

Fantastic Marshall, But you forgot “Chosen Freeholders” being changed to “Commisioners” in New Jersey Monmouth County because the term was related to pre colonial America which was largely white and that it did not reflect twenty first century America.

What other types of changes are taking place throughout the country ? Statues, being torn down,and Male and Female terms in literature being changed to gender Neutral. Watch out there could be more change on the horizon as the MSM pushes a openly lesbian actress Cynthia Nixon into the NYS Governors Office. If that office wasn’t a joke enough, since the Elliot Spitzer scandal, Paterson scandal and now Cuomo corruption allegations.

Thanks Obama for your Culture War, you have made Great Progress.

• Cliff June 9, 2018 at 9:25 pm #

A law colleague of mine back in the early ’80s who lived in south Jersey referred sarcastically to the “Board of Frozen Cheeseholders.”

11. Dr Jack A. MIlavic June 9, 2018 at 2:15 pm #

Dear Very Old Friend,

As always, an excellent article. I realize you were addressing a dangerous political correct subjects but retained your objectivity and truth.

Although sometimes I feel frustrated with some or many social and career issues I strive to appreciate all we enjoy as citizens of this great country. My ancestors’ immigrated from the old country. At times I infer displeasure with some of our laws and political issues I remind my self, ” If my ancestors remained in their respective country where would I be today? I now ask all those protesting and demanding special favors to ask themselves the same question.

12. Bill Eades June 9, 2018 at 2:45 pm #

Marshall.
    I agree with you 100% and never thought I’d see what’s happening in America to hell with all of this political correctness.BS it is destroying our country apparently ok to destroy our flag and disrespect our country but if someone attempts to destroy a rainbow flag see the reaction and what these same people say about free speech… it’s only free speech if you agree with them

13. George Sigrist June 9, 2018 at 2:52 pm #

Read the column in FLORIDA TODAY, and I agree with you. God created the male and the female. There are no in between sexes, no third part of the species, no lab experimental people, robots, or animals. We either have a penis or a vagina…..that is it! No other natural method of ridding the body of urine. Sadly, the PC morons in this country have been trying to “create” other sexes, other means of bodily functions to do whatever, and, in my opinion, they are trying to change what God has made. If these idiots really want to do something beneficial they might think about helping mothers who give birth to babies with various types of birth defects, or work in burn centers or something. They need to stop trying to change and/or alter the course of mother nature. Problem is in this society, nobody has the backbone to stand up to the PC morons. Ask these companies to chip in for causes such as ALS, Alzheimer’s, muscular dystrophy, cancer, etc is like pulling teeth, yet ask these companies to alter bathrooms, signs, etc. to please the PC morons is no problem. We have been caving in to these idiot groups for too long. It is time for society and for America to grow a spine. Until that happens, more of the same will continue

14. Lowell Sasser June 9, 2018 at 3:00 pm #

Thank you for the way you voiced your displeasure with equality in America. Enjoyed your column in the local, 34981, TCPalm.

As a student and birth right, of the Old South I have daily grown agitated at the 12 percent population of African Americans who badger, batter the 80 percent white Americans. Too, I find no way to express my pinions on racism that the local mullet wrapper will ink. It is disgusting and alarming that we have relinquished so heady a quantity of rights to the detriment of the majority. When the constitution was written Black Slaver was a globally accepted institution. Equality of men was not concerned with Blacks as they were not considered human. Now, just 242 years later they have destroyed our education system and may destroy a reverend and valued monument by saying “It Offends me.” If such is not treading on the rights of others, what would be? The greater mass is reduced to meowing after thousands of years of civilization. The fabric of Equality is shredded. Busing for equality has so diminished white education , the elite have abandoned the system to the underfunded, grandiose label of Equal Education. The Freedom we so cherish is demolishing the populace the constitution was meant to protect! What value Equality given not earned?

Lowell Sasser

15. David Lindemer June 9, 2018 at 3:08 pm #

Simply, thank you for your guest column in Florida Today this morning. Enough said.

16. Dean June 9, 2018 at 3:10 pm #

Absolutely! Well done Marshall.

17. Ron Fischer June 9, 2018 at 4:18 pm #

It may be politically correct to say that “all men are created equal”, but they simply are not. Men and women are born to excel ass they are able to do so. Anything less than that is purely a diversion from reality.

But, the advocates of political correctness are also the voices of socialism and cultural obedience.

Political correctness is a dangerous mind set.

Excellent article Marshall

18. Eileen June 9, 2018 at 7:40 pm #

Agreed – on all issues!!!

19. Les June 9, 2018 at 10:45 pm #

Marshall, I am so sick of the minority telling the majority how they should think/act. No, I would not want my daughter to be a girl scout, to support Planned Parenthood. I would want my son to be courteous to women, to care for them, instead of demanding they be just like the men. I believe in equal opportunity for all, but I draw the line at equal (same) bathrooms for all. I don’t care what one does in the privacy of his or her own bedroom, but I don’t want those activities in my face and be told I have to approve. Why should children of kindergarten age be taught about sexual abberations when they have no idea about gender dysphoria. Not only is it 1984, it is public insanity. Keep writing – maybe you will get through to the idiots who are trying to ruin our civilization.

20. Lee Martines June 10, 2018 at 4:31 am #

Another great one, Marshall. Having stayed in scouting until age 17, I considered the organization beneficial to young boys, providing a healthy environment for learning through some of their formative years. Although some of the teenage scouts may relish the idea of the addition of teenage girls, I somehow don’t believe the change would be beneficial to either gender. It does make one wonder what additional merit badges could be considered for the combined membership, however.

I’m afraid you stopped too short with the acronym, which has now been expanded to LGBTQQIP2SAA: lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, queer, intersex, pansexual, two-spirit (2S), androgynous, and asexual. Occasionally, we’ll see a third a for ally, and sometimes it’s preceded by an s for straight ally. Sorry I don’t have the time or the desire to research the meaning of all this gobbledygook.

I’m totally with you regarding sexual-adjustment surgery. It is totally asinine to bill the taxpayers for an elective procedure such as this.

Being neither Jewish nor speaking Yiddish, “Oy Vay” still seems to be the proper response to the proposed Miss America Pageant changes. Even at my age, I am still a red-blooded American male and enjoy seeing beautiful women with nice figures. I suspect their audience will suffer accordingly.

We grew up being taught that a sense of accomplishment would be beneficial in our future but the liberal “PC” idea is to give everyone a participation trophy with no winners or losers. Just take a look at our youth to see the ridiculous effects from that way of thinking.

21. Charles Pierce June 10, 2018 at 8:03 am #

The Democrat/Progressives are not looking for equal opportunity they are looking for equal outcome. That of course is impossible as it does not take into account the physical and mental differences between individuals and the sexes.

22. Jan Siren June 10, 2018 at 9:55 am #

you know my first response to a discussion of gender is “vive la difference!’

No stranger to the “free beaches” when I lived in California, I saw all shapes and sizes. My guess is that only a tiny percentage of people there, male and female, were motivated by vanity. (Descending and climbing the steep cliffs that separated those so-called “free” {admission was always charged} beaches from the rest of civilized society may have marginally improved beach-goers’ physiques.)

But I do have to ask what gender has to do with flying a highly automated aircraft, or driving a tank, into combat? Maybe, just maybe, some nerd who spent his youth in front of a computer screen shooting down Martians has an edge over the guy who spent his summers lifeguarding and showing off his pecs..

Now we’re talking about real needs for fixing.

Jan Siren

23. Bill Solen June 10, 2018 at 10:32 am #

Controversial groups and individuals do not want to be treated Equal they want to be treated Special.

24. Bruce Morgan June 10, 2018 at 2:03 pm #

Mr. Frank:
    I read your op-ed in today’s paper, and I very much agree with you. America is becoming unrecognizable from the country we grew up in, especially since 9/11.

25. Tom June 10, 2018 at 5:02 pm #

As you know I have been writing about this nonsense for some time, but to no avail. The people of today want to be led around by their noses, say nothing even when they should, and apparently like to be thought of as mindless.

We need more people to speak up before this country becomes run by a few over-inflated people with the knowledge of uneducated mice.

Thanks for saying it like it is. I too have had friends that are different, and none of them would like to be involved with this nonsense that is being thrust upon us.

26. Marv June 13, 2018 at 10:24 am #

Minor Points:

I did not know that the US Government was responsible for the said surgeries. Perhaps those who are in custody of the government then that is a moral thought based upon law, religion, moral compassion, and sense of the 100% male or female gene count. The gene count is beyond anyone’s control so some will pray at it and others will psychoanalyze it; both of which are imperfect for all peoples.

Second, familiarize yourself with the third stanza of our National Anthem.

Last, review the first paragraph.