SHAME ON THE NFL

Enough already!

We have critical concerns all over the globe; National health care, immigration, threats of terrorism, violent crime, possible war with North Korea or even Iran. The best that professional football players can do for their country is defy the American flag and turn sour on the very nation that have made them wealthy?

When sports icons use fame to disparage our nation, it makes me want to throw up. I am not alone, many millions feel the same, especially military veterans, disabled soldiers and their families, police and fire personnel, nurses and doctors and teachers, and many more who dedicate their lives to America.

NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell, is an example of a tail wagging the dog. He and some  owners are so intimidated by multi-million dollar athletes that they cave under pressure rather than having the guts to take a stand on behalf of a nation that has paved their way to become millionaires.

Players are employees of organizations, as I was a cop for 30 years. Staff members work for organizations, not the other way around. I would never publicly denigrate or embarrass my employers, especially not while on duty. When players take the field and appear in uniform before eighty thousand people, they are representing their teams as employees. They are paid to perform athletics, not espouse politics. The organizations they work under should require compliance with rules and standards, or else find another job.

If Roger Goodell truly cared about his country, he’d call a sacrificial moratorium for one week without football and send his 1,700 players to Puerto Rico to help save lives and provide necessities to grief-stricken human beings who are suffering immensely. That, is doing something meaningful. Yes, I know they write checks and donate. But that’s the easy way out.

The players, led by millionaire quarterback, Colin Kaeperkick, are allegedly showing solidarity by protesting police brutality and discrimination toward black people. Really? This is a worn-out broken record, designed to spread Anti-American propaganda that is simply untrue.

Yes, a cop goes rogue now and then. But to suggest there is a systemic wave of cop hatred toward blacks is utterly ridiculous.  I assert that with thirty years personal knowledge.

In July of this year, a black police officer in Minneapolis, shot and killed a white woman in her pajamas trying to report a crime. Anyone hear about that?

When Michael Brown, a black youth, was shot and killed by an officer in Ferguson in 2014, another shooting took place the next day in Utah, where a black cop shot and killed an unarmed white man. Anyone hear about that?

Where is the sympathy and outrage over the five cops who were ambushed and killing in Dallas in 2016?  Or the two officers sitting in their patrol car in New York City in 2014, murdered. Thus far in 2017, 97 officers have died in the line of duty, thirty-three by gunfire.

The real problem is blacks killing blacks by the thousands, in Chicago, Baltimore, St. Louis and elsewhere, while the gutless mayors and governors of these arenas or murder try to redirect our attention elsewhere. Why aren’t the sports heroes of America joining forces in these crime riddled communities to establish education, skills, jobs, sports venues and music programs, and other avenues toward healthy living. They should be role models for kids, to save their lives, actually and figuratively. That would be meaningful, instead of making asses of themselves and calling it a “protest.”

According to the Justice Department, between 1980 and 2008 blacks accounted for 52 percent of murders, while representing only 13 percent of the population.  93 percent of black murder victims are killed by other blacks. There’s the problem.

Enough with the false propaganda. Let’s focus on real problems. If footballers refuse to publicly honor their country, they should be fired, immediately. It has nothing to do with free speech.

Meanwhile, the fans will be the ultimate judge.

35 Responses to SHAME ON THE NFL

1. Richard Plager September 29, 2017 at 10:47 pm #

Another well said message; congratulations for your thirty years of service; you have clearly stated the problem and we know who must help solve it; not the government, but the very people who are the cause.

Be careful out there.

2. Charle September 29, 2017 at 11:06 pm #

I am an avid football fan and agree 100%, Marshall.

Their disrespect is disgusting.

I am ashamed, not of them, but for them…..and hope they come to their senses soon.

The owners should fine those who behave in such a disrespectful manner, but probably can not do so legally, but should find another way to reprimand them – especially in their pocketbook!!

3. Eileen September 30, 2017 at 7:49 am #

Maybe football fans need to get together and boycott a few games?

4. Toni September 30, 2017 at 8:16 am #

Well said! Thanks for saying what so many of us are feeling.

5. Jean Seely September 30, 2017 at 8:39 am #

Well said

6. Jim September 30, 2017 at 8:40 am #

Great job Marshall.

7. Catherine Alexander September 30, 2017 at 9:19 am #

Absolutely true and succinctly stated.
    Thank you.
    And why is the mass media buying into the BLM lies?
    Cities like Sanford paying off their lawyers, bowing to the extortion?
    Just like Goddell.
    Cowards – they should be ashamed.

8. Blaine Keller September 30, 2017 at 9:22 am #

Haven’t watched a game this year. Watched some good movies though. Well stated, Frank. As usual, listen for the most noise, you will find the least reason and lack of common sense

9. Charles Pierce September 30, 2017 at 9:24 am #

The NFL may signed it death knells. I was reading the Wall Street Journal yesterday and one of the letter to the editor said it all “Hay sweet, why don’t you put on the game? What, to watch a bunch of guys who consider me a racist?” I will not go back to watching or supporting the NFL and the NBA is very close to the same situation.

10. Jkr September 30, 2017 at 9:32 am #

Players claim to be offended because the president referred to them as SOBs and therefore (they claim) was calling each of their mothers bitches.

Yet none seem to make such an assumption when they refer to each other with the particularly vulgar term that, if taken literally means incest with one’s mother

11. Christopher Jones September 30, 2017 at 10:00 am #

My hope is that NFL means No Fans Left.

I do not watch them anymore. My younger brother, an avid (former) fan refuses too.

12. Don September 30, 2017 at 10:15 am #

We are in serious trouble as a nation when 13% of the population controls this much negative power. I cancelled my Direct TV Football and Basketball packages. I will not watch another NFL game.

13. Laurie Jensen September 30, 2017 at 10:32 am #

Thank you, Marshall. I wonder how many of these protestors actually are simply playing a game of follow the leader? Sometimes it feels like our country is going down the toilet very quickly..

14. Rico September 30, 2017 at 10:57 am #

To me the lack of control by the NFL comes under the heading of political correctness. They are afraid of being labeled racists!!! Racist is a word the left uses to quell reasonable actions, and common sense in many instances.

15. Terry September 30, 2017 at 11:30 am #

The “GAME” is over. Now it’s anything for money. Owners want more, players want more, agents want more, sponsors want more, venders want more. So now we have a side show instead of a game. Do anything for publicity and to get on the news. Did anyone else ever wonder why they need almost naked girls leading useless cheers from the field?

16. Charlie Greene September 30, 2017 at 11:39 am #

I forgot which coach but one of them in the N.H.L. said any player sitting during the anthem will continue to sit for the whole game.
    Another reason why pro hockey is my favorite sport.

17. Lou Fischer September 30, 2017 at 11:43 am #

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I believe most Americans know this and are mad at the NFL and the politics presented as “fact” are infuriating.

18. Snake Hunter{s} September 30, 2017 at 12:07 pm #

Thanks, Marshall. – reb

___ ___

19. Ron Fischer September 30, 2017 at 12:15 pm #

The NFL is no longer on my TV. The NBA hasn’t been for years. Excellent commentary Marshall.

20. Jack Milavic September 30, 2017 at 12:58 pm #

Thank you, Sir, for the excellent article.
    I suggest all militant NFL Players review their US benefits and freedoms. If their ancestors were not sold into slavery by their relatives or tribal leaders and remained in Africa where would the individual protesting militant and racist NFL Player be today? Try making millions in Africa today as a football player. By the way, if you are so displeased in our country request your salary be remunerated to you in African dollars.

21. Tina (Lil Sis) September 30, 2017 at 1:24 pm #

Your articles are always good but this one is extra good! Hit a nerve with me. I wish I still watched the NFL or I could boycott it!!! We are so confused as to whom we should pay big bucks to in this country. Surly not the players or Hollywood….

22. Patricia September 30, 2017 at 2:00 pm #

Having actually worked for an NFL team in the late 70s and early 80s I have seen first hand how the team I worked for would often cave to controversy based on the actions of the fans — when fans called in “for” or “against” a controversial decision the reception immediately started tracking the calls until a substantial number of calls were on one side of the issue … of course the ticket office and cancellations of tickets also factored into the decisions. Today the advertising contracts and box suites control the owner decisions. Cable boxes in everyone’s homes provides instant ratings. The best way to get the owner’s attention is to actually have the advertisers hurt — they will then stop advertising which means that the NFL will not be able to charge outrageous fees to the NFL owners, which then means that the owners will not be able to pay the players these millions of dollars and maybe then responsible individuals will have the honor to play sports for a living! Today’s athletes have been nurtured and given an unimaginable life in the hopes that they will be the top of their athletic field — excuses are made, problems are ignored or fixed and you know have a world of entitled millionaries and billionaries with the millionaries being on welfare after they stop playing!

Anyone sickened by these recent actions should determine which companies are advertising — stop using those products and let the companies know they are no longer using their products; stop watching especially in November and the Playoffs/Superbowl; and not buy the NFL merchandise!

Where I live, one of the grocery stores supports the local NFL team and all the employees are required to wear jersey’s on Sunday — I no longer shop at that store!

23. Huck September 30, 2017 at 3:11 pm #

Very well stated! You deserve a medal — Huck

24. steve gure September 30, 2017 at 4:11 pm #

You are again, in my opinion, right on the money! I do not believe that you dig deeply enough on this issue. The fact is cops go after criminals no matter what color they are. Have you seen who are the convicted jailbirds? Almost 90% are black. I am speaking as a retired cop with over 30 years of experience. The NFL players, most of them who are taking the knee, are black. They intimidate the owners who find it easier to go along with them. Eventually everybody will lose respect for them. I do believe that this is the principal reason that Trump was elected. Political correctness being pushed down our throats and reverse discrimination. If I sound anti-black I am not. I met and worked with some outstanding black people whom I consider friends. The problem is that black people, like whites, have come under the influence of the wrong people and are not thinking for themselves.

25. Adamsalan September 30, 2017 at 4:29 pm #

Just 2 words to the NFL: Grow Up

26. Thomas Ault September 30, 2017 at 6:10 pm #

I recently wrote an article for our opinion page that pretty much reflected you thinking. These mega-athletes earn too much, think they are to be worshipped, and I am beginning to think they believe they can do anything.
    It is just my opinion, but I feel we have far too many celebrities that have become critics of everything and everyone, and most of them don’t have the sense to come in our of the rain.

Today’s world is filled with people who have made far more money than they are worth and are to ego centered to understand that. It is time to pay them what they are really worth instead of what they think they are worth. It is also time for the companies that use them for the advertising purposes only, discover that most of us would buy the products they push at those games anyway, and with a less guilty conscience too!

27. Don Carey October 1, 2017 at 10:48 am #

As with most things in today’s society, it’s all about the money. Fine each player who protests on company time a substantial amount and watch the players rise from their knees. Shame on the NFL Commissioner and the club owners for trading their respect of their country for a few bucks.

28. Will October 1, 2017 at 12:16 pm #

This was sent to me in an email titled A Police Officer Kneeled Today.. It would also include the military.

A police officer kneeled on the job today…..

They kneeled as they held the hand of a child as they took their last breath after being struck by a car while riding their bike.
    They kneeled while performing CPR on an elderly woman who was out shopping with her daughter.
    They kneeled as they comforted a lost child that was crying for their parent.
    They kneeled as they reached into a sewer grate to rescue a kitten that fell down inside it.
    They kneeled after being struck in the head with a bottle thrown at them by some angry individual in a mob of angry individuals protesting the police based on a false narrative.
    They kneeled from exhaustion after jumping into a lake to rescue someone who had fallen in.
    They kneeled as they delivered a baby in the back of a car on the side of the highway because that baby just couldn’t wait.
    They kneeled as they took cover behind a small dumpster as they were being fired upon after responding to a burglar alarm.
    They kneeled as they provided first aid to a battered person after they responded to a domestic violence call.
    They kneeled in the doorway of a burning house as they moved under the smoke in an effort to rescue a small child left behind by their panic stricken parents.
    They kneeled as they administered narcan to another teenager that OD’d on heroin.
    They kneeled as the helped a stranded motorist change a tire on a lonely dark road.
    They kneeled as they kissed their young child, asleep in their bed, early in the morning as they headed out the door knowing that once again they would miss their dance recital, soccer game or school play.
    They kneeled as they wept at the casket of their partner who was shot and killed on a “routine” traffic stop because he/she was a cop.
    But they will stand tall each and every time they are called upon. No matter if you spit on them, call them vile names, tell them you hate them and say the world will better off without them.
    They stand tall, ever the faithful sheepdog’s, guarding their flock from the wolves that would devour them.
    Thank you my Brothers and Sisters for all you do and for showing all what kneeling on the job is really about.
    True American’s become Police Officers while cry babies become overpaid ungrateful “athletes” who sleep well at night!

• Dick Calvert October 1, 2017 at 6:20 pm #

Well said Marshall, you saved me the time to make a similar post! Usually I am watching football but today and future weekends I will be doing other things. Hope a lot of folks do the same!

29. Tabitha Korol October 1, 2017 at 9:42 pm #

Maybe I don’t “deserve” to write because I never liked sports and don’t indulge in any to this day. Nevertheless, this turned out to be a national event and I’m in it for the patriotism aspect. I can’t say I’ll never watch again, because I never did, but these men are spoiled brats, filled with themselves, and not even for an achievement about which one might be proud. They invented nothing, cured nothing, and reap incredible profits for playing games. They never deserved the accolades and following they had, and deserve them now even less. Perhaps this will free up a few good minds of the audience to work to save our country from Marxism, Leftism, Islamism. Maybe this is a good wake-up call for the masses to change the way they spend their time, time that can never be retrieved, and that can be used to save our country and our progeny. Amen

30. Dick Calvert October 2, 2017 at 9:49 am #

Boycott the NFL until they clean up there act!

31. Mary overby October 2, 2017 at 10:22 am #

I agree with every thing that has been said about the NFL. My husband will not watch a game any more. All those players that did not stand for our flag are crying babies and should be fired. The owners could have stood up to them too.

32. Mary overby October 2, 2017 at 10:28 am #

I agree with you Frank all the way. All those players that disrespected our flag should be disiplined, and not a slap on the wrist. My husband will not watch another game and a lot of his friends feel the same way,. Thank you for your article.

33. George Sigrist October 2, 2017 at 7:00 pm #

To those of us who have served in the military this NFL player/owner “kneel-down” is a slap in the face. It is a slap in the face to all those who went off to fight in World Wars I and II and never came home. It is a slap in the face to those who died in Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan and other parts of the world, those fighting against oppression and evil. And to play football in England and “take a knee” in the country of which we fought against King George and his absurd taxation in 1775 and years beyond, is shameful, especially when England was one of the countries who assisted in bringing slave ships here to begin with. Then again, I would not expect the ignorance of NFL players to understand that, nor study history, nor do any research regarding same. The far left is made up of spoiled brats who only want their own way, and rant and rave and throw tantrums until they get their way.

If the NFL players wanted to do some good regarding protests, why don’t they protest all the black-on-black crime in our cities? Why did they not protest when Obama was in office and shunned Israel, shunned Christians, cut our military budgets basically in half, opened relationships with Cuba, tried his best to empty Gitmo, allowing jihadists to get back into battle circulation…..against our military? I could go on and on here regarding the Obama years and his many acts of what should have been considered treason….but oh no….Congress nor the Senate could not say anything about that…because Obama and his associates would then play the race card, and that could mean lost votes among the minority population. Political correctness has to stop!!! So, I ask you, regarding the NFL…..who are the actual racists? Those in the ghettos who hate whites and who blame Donald Trump for everything never said a word against Obama’s Sharia law/jihadist policies…..SHAMEFUL!

The NFL owners should have taken a stand, but…political correctness has them siding with the players…and they worship money….. very few folks in this country have a spine anymore. This is a country made up of people who are afraid to lose votes or money, or power, or all of the above…..way too many people have sold their souls to the devil in order to worship money, votes, power. And, sadly, I do not see society turning it around….not until right overtakes wrong, not until political correctness, evil, and secular ways end.

If everybody stuck it out…banded together…..and NOONE…..NOBODY….the rest of the season went to any of the NFL games…..maybe the players and owners would get the message…..but…sadly, much of America is oblivious to what is going on around them……

These idiot NFL players and NBA players need to realize that they make a ton of money playing a kids game, in a country which allows them freedom of expression and freedom of speech, and disrespecting the Stars and Stripes and the veterans who gave them those rights is WRONG!

Great work my friend…always.

George

34. John J. Noto October 4, 2017 at 11:50 am #

I am a Korean vet. The disrespect to our Flag and NATIONAL ANTHEM is disgraceful. I have friends who were killed to preserve our Flag and FREEDOM. You so call football players should experience REAL ACTION. You would not last 10 minutes.