AFTERTHOUGHTS

In my 2015 book release, The Way Things Oughta Be, I offer numerous chapters with analyses and suggestions for improving the world, whether it be politics, science, education, criminal justice, family issues, love and romance and so much more. At the very end of the book, I present a chapter titled, “Afterthoughts” which is a list of one-liners, without essay or analysis.

I thought some folks might be interested…so I extracted this chapter and created a short blog.  (With the author’s permission, of course) See what you think.

AFTERTHOUGHTS

Sometimes, a simple answer can identify a question.  According to your author, here are a few one-line reflections on – The Way Things Oughta Be:

• Smart people should think twice about the long-range consequences before blanketing their bodies with tattoo ink.
  • Parents who sit with their kids at restaurant tables engrossed with tablets and smart phones tell me they’ve lost the ability to communicate.
  • I’m a fan of space travel, but I also wonder if the enormous costs outweigh the benefits, and those billions of dollars could not be better funneled to more pressing needs.
  • Abolish car alarms. They are useless costs added to the price of an auto.
  • Schools, libraries, and other public properties should ban boys from wearing pants below their butts and exposing underwear. There is nothing wrong with standards.
  • The term “African-American” is a misnomer that fails to account for all the indigenous Arabs and whites who also come from Africa, which, after all, is a continent, not a country.
  • Non-citizen immigrants who arrive here and express hate for America should be given a one-way ticket back to their native country.
  • If a public employee refuses to pledge allegiance to the United States he or she should not be employed by the taxpayer.
  • The Pledge can easily be recited minus “under God” for anyone who so chooses, and should not be politicized.
  • Enemies in foreign countries with whom we are engaged in combat are not entitled to American civil rights. Advising them of their “rights” is an absurdity that benefits the enemy and not America.
  • Very little quality attention is paid to the problems of severe mental illness in America, which causes more grief, money and peril than we realize.
  • Unaccounted-for minorities, or other human categories that don’t seem to matter, include – mentally ill, prison inmates, returning ex-cons, and homeless.
  • Restaurants should post warning signs that advise parents they will be asked to remove loud and misbehaving children from the premises.
  • Telephone solicitations, political messages, and other nuisance calls that disturb millions, including the infirmed, should be declared a federal crime not protected by the First Amendment.
  • Young men and women who adorn their faces with multiple piercings should realize they are creating a gross distraction from their otherwise good looks.
  • Can anyone articulate a reason why the federal government needs a Department of Education?
  • English should be deemed, by act of Congress, as the official language of the United States, while at the same time encouraging bi-lingual education in schools and special education.
  • No veteran who honorably served his or her country should be allowed to live homeless.
  • I have a name. Please don’t call me “Man.”

“The Way Things Oughta Be” is a comprehensive book of unique ideas about a myriad of topics.  Signed copies available at my web site: www.marshallfrank.com or via Amazon.com

23 Responses to AFTERTHOUGHTS

1. Bill April 9, 2017 at 7:27 am #

Your comments on mental illness are the most true.

2. Helen April 9, 2017 at 8:39 am #

I agree with most, but not all, of these. The one that stands out most is the banning of telephone solicitors!!! (And I mean ALL of them.)

3. Rosemarye April 9, 2017 at 8:40 am #

I concur with most of your afterthoughts. I am a wordsmith and especially dislike “African-American” because it is so imprecise

4. Don G. April 9, 2017 at 8:41 am #

I absolutely agree 100% with every item!

5. Russ Johns April 9, 2017 at 8:51 am #

Hey Man! I agree with everything you said except one!

6. Anonymous April 9, 2017 at 9:12 am #

About that one-way ticket, i’m still waiting for Whoopi and her Hollywood friends to relocate out of our country as they had promised if Trump got elected. Further, I would include ALL those who hate the USA, including legal citizens, be given a one-way ticket to the country of their ancestors, with no return to the USA allowed; but the cost of those tickets might double the current national debt.

7. Charle April 9, 2017 at 9:36 am #

Excellent, Marshall – in agreement 100%

8. Sandy G April 9, 2017 at 10:55 am #

Man, you are so right!

9. Ron Fischer April 9, 2017 at 11:02 am #

I agree completely!

10. Tina (Lil Sis) April 9, 2017 at 11:09 am #

Good points! xox

11. Anonymous April 9, 2017 at 11:43 am #

I absolutely love your comments. African-American???? What the heck is that. Blacks??? they are brown. Please refer to any color chart for comparisons. Yes, now I am labeled a racist because I expressed some of my frustrations.

English by all means should be the official language. Darn, there I go again being anti illegal aliens.

And last but not least but my favorite complaint not covered above is the massive fraud, waste, abuse and corruption by all US Federal Government agencies must be stopped.

12. Ray Renfro April 9, 2017 at 12:30 pm #

Your one-line reflections on The Way Things Oughta Be is basically common sense. Unfortunately, many people are not blessed with any. When that is combined with people that are determined to impose their not so common sense way on everyone, common sense goes out the window. The idea of being able to choose what sex you feel like being is the “not so common sense” I’m talking about. This may be one of the more bazaar instances but there are many more that have infiltrated our culture in the past 50 years.

If the America was divided in two, one using the U.S Constitution as it exists is today and the other using the U.S. Constitution with your one-line reflections on The Way Things Oughta Be added, I think many Americans would choose the latter.

13. Blaine Keller April 9, 2017 at 12:37 pm #

Only issue is regarding the Dept of Education. Need to repurpose to train all of the inhabitants of Washington DC to be efficient, productive, responsible employees of the government they swore to serve.

14. Pat P. April 9, 2017 at 8:00 pm #

The “Pledge.”

Granted belief in G-D is not a prerequisite to civility but to deny the origins of humanity and its rules to civility is a prerequisite to evil. Pledging allegiance to G-D is a pledge to those origins of humanities rules of good behavior.

Even with its many aberrations I can’t imagine mankinds progression thru the ages without rules (i.e. thou shalt not kill) to good behavior. Our four fathers had it right ” IN GOD WE TRUST .” Make that an option and we are really in trouble.

• Lee April 9, 2017 at 11:41 pm #

Sorry Pat, but your statements don’t hold water. One can easily deny a deity and still follow the so-called “rules”. Every one of the “Ten Commandments” is simply a common sense statement, geared towards a civilized society. One does not have to believe in a deity to follow them. There may be atheists that pattern their life based on them, while self-professed Christians may break them regularly. How many criminals profess to be Christians? How many Muslim terrorists follow the religious rules of the “religion of peace”?

• Pat Pesce April 10, 2017 at 10:01 am #

2nd paragraph ” even with its many aberrations “. Atheists who obey our laws, based from religious teachings, are in denial of their origins.
        My core argument stands: a pledge to our flag which represents our values i.e. our religious teachings, is a pledge to those teachings.

15. Charlie G. April 9, 2017 at 8:03 pm #

Count me in as agreeing with them all especially # 7.
    Charlie.

16. Les April 9, 2017 at 10:36 pm #

I agree with banning all telephone solicitors. I just had major abdominal surgery, and it takes me at least 4-5 rings to get up and get to the phone, only to hear another call regarding credit cards or Medicare devices for seniors. These constitute 90% of the calls I get daily, and I am sick of it.

• BARBARA W LOWD April 10, 2017 at 8:53 am #

let it go to message, I do then when you have the phone near you delete all the messages at once, most caller will not even leave one.

17. Tom April 10, 2017 at 5:37 pm #

The federal government needs not only a Special Department of Education, but also a rule stating that all politicians should be required to take a course in education, history, humility, common sense, foreign geography and a few dozen other things I have not mentioned. It would perhaps make them more understanding of people who actually live in this country and contribute to it and its being, but do not make the minimum wage while not having expense accounts that are more than the average income. income.

Now it be more candid: The Department of Education is run by idiots who have no idea of what education means. The children attend private schools, have friends that have never really had to be concerned, because, ignorant or not, they have a few bucks to get by on.

Now, as to identification. I am an American, Danish, Low Dutch, who give a hoot person. In other words, my grandparents came from a country other than this one, had kids who had me and I would like to consider myself just a plain old American….wouldn’t it be nice if others felt that way instead of finding fault with their heritage and thinking that they should have some special name…It is time for the people in this country to consider themselves United States people and forget all the B.S. that tends to separate us like animals into herds….let’s get real folks!!!

18. Figaro April 11, 2017 at 9:12 am #

Fore-thoughts or “Afterthoughts” I like the way you THINK.

19. Paul April 11, 2017 at 2:43 pm #

Some good points, I agree most with not having to receive nuisance telephone calls. There should certainly be technology to prevent these calls, I get several a day, sometimes at inopportune moments and they can be most annoying. I think it would be hard to make it illegal in a land of free speech, but they could certainly be blocked.

20. Ingeborg C. Thomson April 21, 2017 at 10:41 pm #

I. C. Thomson

No one could have said anything above better than you. I agree absolutely. Amen