HOLLYWOOD STARS FALL FROM PEDASTALS – FLORIDA TODAY OP-ED

Hollywood glamour fades in face of un-American actions

What is it about Hollywood celebrities that make them think their excrement smells like garden roses? Do they truly believe the whole world should love them as they love themselves?

Why should mere mortals like us pay attention to far-left slants from propagandists like Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn? Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep, Jane Fonda, Penn, Quentin Tarantino, Steven Spielberg and others are all great actors and directors. But their claim to fame is pretending to be other people and getting paid mega-millions. That’s it.

They don’t save lives. They don’t fight for our country. They don’t fix veterans issues or support cops who risk lives daily for them. Sure, they donate to charities for tax credits and pretend to be humanitarians. Very few would have the moxie to give up a first-class airline seat to an American soldier, as did Amy Adams.

They are, for the most part, beneficiaries of the capitalist system they claim to abhor. And God forbid their favorite presidential candidate loses. Their fame gives them power few others will ever have.

Meanwhile mega-stars like Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Clooney, Damon and Kevin Bacon publicly decry the pro-gun lobby, speaking out for stricter (or total) gun control, while they stuff their billion-dollar portfolios with the rewards for explicitly glorifying guns, movie and after movie. Celebrity hypocrisy in motion.

I’ve been a movie buff since the days of wine and roses, Cary Grant, Bette Davis, Liz Taylor and Spencer Tracy. I write movie reviews. I applaud costume makers, set designers and photographers, not just actors. I predict winners at the Golden Globes and Oscar presentations (often mistakenly). I’m like a wannabe kid who dreamed of playing violin in Carnegie Hall or dancing with Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly, or spending one glorious moment in the presence of Liz Taylor. The Academy Awards is etched onto my personal calendar. I usually can’t wait for the next picture with Daniel Day Lewis, the greatest actor of the 21st century.

I’m well aware that the Hollywood elite are mostly liberal and I don’t care. Everyone has rights to opinions and to free speech. But what we are seeing today in the wake of the Hillary loss is unadulterated anti-Americanism designed to create a chasm from which we may never recover.

Imagine a Hollywood director ranting in the streets of New York (Tarantino) and dubbing police officers as murderers. Imagine a Hollywood actress like Ashley Judd going on a major tirade against our newly elected president, likening him to Hitler. Imagine a mega-star like Madonna declaring that she felt like bombing the White House. Better yet, the audacity of Robert De Niro openly wishing to punch the president in the face. There’s not enough word-count space for the whole story.

Streep, Hanks, Madonna, Cyrus, Tarantino, Clooney (and the list goes on) – all believe their fame and notoriety gives them license to twist minds and boost political hatred, which catches on like gasoline to the flames because they live in an adoring fame bubble.

After 77 years of loving these people and their movie creations, my bubble has burst. I will never again tune in to an Academy Awards show, nor the Golden Globes, just to hear and see these rich whining babies abuse their platform of fame to defile my president, my country and my love for the creative arts.

Streep and De Niro are great actors. Tarantino is a great director. They should all be expelled from the Hollywood royalty scene. Same goes for filthy-mouthed rappers and rich-kid delinquents like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber who not only can’t act, they can’t sing in tune.

These are the people who are establishing the new culture for nascent America. And they do it with the full fervor of an adoring media.

It’s a sad day for me. No more Academy Awards. No more Robert De Niro or Meryl Streep movies. No more America which prides itself on diversity, not divisiveness. I will miss them.  And I suspect so will millions of others.

Marshall Frank is a retired Miami-Dade police detective and frequent contributor to FLORIDA TODAY.

34 Responses to HOLLYWOOD STARS FALL FROM PEDASTALS – FLORIDA TODAY OP-ED

1. Bill February 24, 2017 at 10:04 am #

So you have something in common with George C. Scott (Patton). Thats good

2. Peter Aydelotte February 24, 2017 at 10:06 am #

I am well familiar with Hollywood types as my grandfather was blacklisted and went to Italy to make westerns during the Mcarthy era, later to return and make movies in the USA. I have never been awe struck by famous folks, they all dress like we do and there is nothing different except their profession.
    Working numerous off duty lobs on the sets of movies in Miami I found out that most of these actors are bigger asses than most with an I am better than thou attitude.
    I remember sailing on day on Biscayne bay in the afternoon and as I approached the west side of the bay I tacked the boat to hewad back to my marina as a big thunderstorm was brewing and I wanted safe harbor. Well this was in the Miami Vice era and a speed boat came up and said Mr Johnson would like you to move your boat, I stated I am going to my marina and my boat is moving as fast as it can sail, I am not altering my course so Mr Johnson can wait, thank you, I continued on my way. I do not respect arrogance nor those that think they are of a privileged class. I do not respect ideas that are not consistent with law and order nor the constitution.

3. Tina (Lil Sis) February 24, 2017 at 10:35 am #

What can I say…you are right on as usual. I too don’t bother with any of the “award” shows, like who cares!

4. Charlie February 24, 2017 at 10:41 am #

You wouldn’t happen to have the new Canadian addresses of Clooney, Bag Lady Whoopie, Cher, Streep, etc.
    I ‘d like to write to them telling them thanks for leaving and don’t come back.

5. JH February 24, 2017 at 11:01 am #

I’m with you Marshall. Also, if the people of America who have an addiction to entertainment (i.e. pro sports, movies, theater, etc.) would burn their season passes, stop going to the movies and stop watching/supporting ESPN it wouldn’t take long for the “entertainers” to reconsider their actions when the $$$ stops flowing into their pockets and nobody shows up to support them. “Entertainers” seem to believe they are in control, when it’s just the opposite…w/o the American supporters they are out of a job.

6. JOHN REINCKE February 24, 2017 at 11:53 am #

Hey Marshall, I’ve always been a fan of yours. Allow me to add, in this world there are those who “talk” and those who “do”. Those Hollywood types have no idea of what it is like not to “pretend”. Kepp writing Marshall – you are a true “doer”.

7. Ron February 24, 2017 at 12:19 pm #

regarding what Pete had to say,I remember the day I walked into Station number 2 ( Central District) as the day shift Lt. and was told of all the buzz because Don Johnson ( Miami Vice) had been ticketed by a Central Officer for going 100 MPH on I-95 earlier during the night.What was I going to do and should the ticket be cancelled? I said send it on through the system and let him pay it. He was lucky he was not arrested.I found out later ( although not confirmed) that the Sheriff paid the ticket or got it cancelled. That type of elitist attitude is why I do not give two hoots about these type of people. When Meryl Streep went on a tirade about President Trump she was so gleeful,but when it came back to her in a negative way,she cried.She could dish it out but not accept it.I do not watch “award” shows because they are some of the worst produced shows on the air.It is safe to say,I agree totally with Marshall on this topic.And also,in my opinion the great majority of movies are not worth leaving the house to see. And because we now have a president who actually wants to put Americaa first there are many who can not stand it.

• Jkr February 24, 2017 at 4:30 pm #

I doubt that the sheriff paid or had Johnson’s ticket cancelled.

8. Les February 24, 2017 at 12:59 pm #

These self-absorbed, overpaid narcissists don’t speak for me. They like hanging out with the elites because it makes them feel more important. Better they should hang out with the police, the doctors and nurses who try to patch up the latest victims of societal crimes, or spend a day helping out in a homeless shelter. Maybe then they would realize how unimportant they really are. As far as their political opinions, they are shallow and misinformed. They can’t even articulate why they hate Trump. Doesn’t anyone follow the Ten Commandments any more?

9. Just Me February 24, 2017 at 1:34 pm #

Thank you Marshall for writing the truth about these spoiled, ungrateful celebrities. They want to take our guns, but have hired security with guns to protect them – hypocrites.
    Their freedoms are protected by our police and military, yet they vilify both groups.
    If it weren’t for the average folks out here in the real world who buy their music and go to their movies, these spoiled celebrities wouldn’t have two nickels to rub together, Yet they ridicule and arrogantly look down on the very people whose adoration pays their bills.
    We haven’t been to a movie in many years because of their constantly infusing their movies with anti-American, anti-military, anti-police, anti-Christian doctrines and the Climate Change/Global Warming/Weather hoax which is meant to redistribute the US taxpayers’ money.
    Listen up Celebrities – We don’t want to hear your political rants. Just entertain us. We didn’t pay hard-earned money to see you and be lectured to and insulted.

10. Jack A. Milavic February 24, 2017 at 2:19 pm #

As a long time SAG member, I completely agree with everything you have stated. Hollywood elite have very little social redeeming values except allow people to escape reality couple of hours and charge them excessive ticket prices. If on a deserted island and had to exist for one year using labor to build and grow food and limited to ten people how many of those 10 would you choose to be a Hollywood elite.

11. Chris February 24, 2017 at 2:23 pm #

As always… Spot on.

12. Eileen February 24, 2017 at 2:39 pm #

After Meryl Streep’s political performance at the Golden Globe Awards, I wrote to NBC to inform them of my decision to boycott their station, as well as any other stations that host Hollywood award shows, from my TV viewing list (the only worthwhile stations anyway are the specialty ones that educate about nature, history and TRUTHFUL news (found on Fox News stations). I am also boycotting movies that feature the names you mentioned; they obviously don’t respect their fans who have conservative values, and I will not spend anymore of my precious time and money on those ungrateful hypocrites.

13. Ray Renfro February 24, 2017 at 4:42 pm #

I grew up in the fifties when most movies were black and white and pretty hokie but I loved to go to the movies. I remember in 1949, my father was stationed in Ft. Hood, Texas. I was just 6 years old and lived for Saturday morning where my mother would drop me off just outside the main gate in a little town named Killeen. There had to be 7 or 8 movie theaters in this small town, all showing cowboy movies, cartoons and a serial. At 10 cents a movie, a dollar went a long way. I’m sure now, this is how I got addicted to watching movies.

Several years ago, when Netflix came out, I signed up. I have really enjoyed having Netflix but I have found it getting more difficult to find good movies in the last couple of years because I do not enjoy watching movies featuring these left wing actors. I have tried to watch some of the movies staring actors that have spoken out but their present in the movie ruins for me. So I just don’t watch those movies anymore.

I’m sure that a lot of the actors speak just to get the free publicity but I think it is going to backfire as more people start boycotting their movies. I think most of the actors are being used by the left to spread their propaganda. Stalin referred to these people as Useful Idiots.

14. E. J. Reinhold February 24, 2017 at 5:28 pm #

Marshall:

I was checking over possible movies to see tonight and then looked at the actors and directors and said to my wife, they hold us in contempt, and hate our system of government, our flag and our history so why should we support them? We are both hichering down in two of your novels instead. Not a dime more if our money going to the Hollywood hate crowd.

15. Kurt W February 24, 2017 at 9:03 pm #

Great piece. I stand with you.

16. Dale February 24, 2017 at 9:34 pm #

I agree, the stars need to stick to their scripts and leave the politics to the politicians. We used to tune in to the awards to see who won the respective categories… not to hear more blasphemous political opinions.

17. Anon February 24, 2017 at 9:35 pm #

You’re Friday , 2/24/17, Hollywood celebrities article, is right on the money, thanks

18. Lee February 25, 2017 at 12:45 am #

“Entertainers” are the most egotistical people on the face of the earth! They thrive on recognition and adoration! There are currently over 60 guilds, societies and organizations providing “awards” to the LOOK AT ME – LOOK AT ME – LOOK AT ME crowd! I see that there is a conservative movement to boycott the Academy Awards Show as a result of the idiotic actions of the 90% liberal members of the entertainment industry. I’m all for that! I’m also in favor of the suggestion of recognizing the unsung heros of the military, police, EMT, and firefighting ranks instead of the so-called entertainers!

19. Charlie February 25, 2017 at 6:46 am #

And what about that no talent idiot Bieber drag racing through the streets of Miami at 90 m.p.h. I never saw the outcome of that but my money is he got off with only a wrist slap, if that

20. Reb February 25, 2017 at 8:55 am #

Marshall Frank – I will agree with this analysis. The stars and the product… has been in steady decline for decades. If your family would like to see a fine movie, try Turner Classic Movies, the folks could possibly find great Hollywood products

from the past. The 1940’s through the 1960’s had Gone With The Wind, Mutiny on the Bounty, Inherit The Wind, Elmer Gantry and The Music Man…. to recall a few of the best. – reb

21. George S. February 25, 2017 at 8:58 am #

Great column today on “Hollywood.” I completely agree. Hollywood has become so secular, and, in fact, anti Christ-like, much like most of California of late. If anyone else threatened to “blow up the white house” they would be locked up, but Madonna gets away with it???!!! I am refusing to spend money on further movie theatre admission tickets, and will not support these whiners any longer. Ashley Judd needs to return to school and learn about Nazi Germany, the REAL Nazi Germany prior to making any sort of comments. She has not made a successful film in so long I suppose she is resorting to what she feels is “community activism.” She has no clue what Nazi Germany was like, and….when Trump puts six million Jews into ovens and tries taking over all of North America……then, and only then….. can she bitch and moan and make soapbox speeches.

These people want to allow “refugees” inside our borders, let them put them up. The liberals and Hollywood can put them up and support them. Can people not see what has happened in Sweden, Germany, France, Belgium? Are they ignorant or live in caves? And you know if we had another Sept. 11 event they would be the first to bitch and moan about Trump not protecting the citizens here. Trump could have picked Mother Teresa as Secretary of State (were she alive) and Nancy Pelosi would piss and moan. Eric Bolling on Fox News Channel said recently that, “If Donald Trump found a cure for cancer, the left would complain about it.” These people are paid to entertain and make movies…..they should stay the hell out of political rhetorical comments. And what do they have to bitch about anyway….they earn enough collectively to pay off the national debt….come on!!! IDIOTS!!

I too used to be a film buff, watch all the awards shows……no more! Between the far left morons making idiotic political comments, and, a couple years ago with the NAACP commenting on the “lack of black nominees” in film categories, I am frustrated with all of it. And I feel the same way about people like Katy Perry and the rest of the pop culture music industry…..get a life! And for those morons with half a brain…..Trump stated during his campaign what he would do if elected…..he is doing just what he claimed he would! PAY ATTENTION MORONS….nothing different or new is occurring! Most of his plans and executive orders are exactly what he told us he would do.

We do not see the Cleveland Indians protesting in the streets because the Cubs won the World Series. We do not see Atlanta fans burning vehicles because Tom Brady came from behind to win the Super Bowl. Hey liberals….democrats….college students and professors….your candidate lost. GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON!!!!

One final thought: Hillary lost folks! We underwent eight years of Obama’s Sharia law and Islamic rule out of the White House, Iran ass kissing, Gitmo emptying of prisoners, non vetting of refugees, loss of jobs, millions on food stamps and other government sponsored programs, continued outsourcing of jobs, shunning of our greatest ally, Israel….where were the protesters then??? Evil and secularism are trying to take over this country, and this must be stopped. Or believe me, we will certainly have another Sept. 11 event, only worse!.

Great column. Am still a huge fan of your work.

22. Tom February 25, 2017 at 9:11 am #

Marshall, i have felt the same way for a long time.
    You’ve started the feelings of probably most all of us conservatives.

23. FJM February 25, 2017 at 11:15 am #

FANTASTIC, Marshall. You are absolutely correct on all counts, as usual. I was a movie guy when there were movies out there that were great or even good. I have met some of these Hollywood “celebrities”, as they like to think of themselves and as pointed out by your readers, they are full of themselves and, for the most part, JERKS.

However, Marshall, I did get to spend some time with Debbie Reynolds when she was in Miami doing a show. A very lovely LADY.

Keep up the great writing.

24. Anonymous February 25, 2017 at 5:31 pm #

The most HOLLYWOD elists were R ,Reagan and Johbn Wayne BOTH WWII COWARDS
    Also R Reagan was a traitor selling weapons to Iran to fund hos illegal Contra war. As for
    police protecting us well the facts prove otherwise . It’s put in 20 years retire with a fat pension and gut .

25. Charlie February 25, 2017 at 7:18 pm #

To Reb
    I’m with you Reb. I watch T.C.M. frequently. Movies like High Noon, The African Queen and Key Largo. You can’t go wrong with a Humphrey Bogart film. Bogey was a man’s man.

26. Tom February 25, 2017 at 10:39 pm #

I could not have said it better if I tried. My and your thoughts are much alike, but I am going one step further…I am refusing to see any more of this garbage that is called acting because most of it is either killing, raping, graphic sex and/or filthy language .Good acting may be there, but the above listed things that they feel necessary are NOT necessary and add nothing to the movie. In some cases the very heart of the movie is damaged beyond repair by these sinful portrayals.

Marshall, I have spent almost 82 years on this earth and I have at long last become completely disgusted with those brain dead actors, who as you stated, spend most of their lives trying to be someone else, and getting paid for it.

And one additional thing…I wish those that said they were going to leave our country would do it and stop their portrayal of American United States Citizens…just another acting job for them.

Great actors have come and a many gone. Let’s hope that one day these overzealous spoiled celebs wake up and small the roses.

27. Bob James February 26, 2017 at 2:10 pm #

This is one of your best columns ever. All of your readers know of your affinity for show business from the stories of your mom and dad, who were very entertaining performers in their own right (especially your dad’s “moon-walking routine”) and your own endeavors to become a classical violinist of some note. Also, we have all benefited by your own excellent critical assessments of current popular movies. That is why this column of yours is so special, since it is about a subject that you have real feelings for and know a lot about.

My guess is there may be as many as 63 million American movie-going voters who feel exactly the same as you do about these Hollywood radical leftist stuffed shirts. If these 63 million fans vote their conscience by tuning out the Hollywood Oscar show tonight, it will not go unnoticed by the main stream media, who love to count noses of how many people are watching the show.

28. Paul Vincent Zecchino February 26, 2017 at 10:36 pm #

Marshall –

Concur, completely. It’s been years since either of us have been to the theatre for the precise reasons you cite. Last film seen, five/six years ago now was “Act of Valor”, the moving story of Navy Seals with much footage edited from sixteen hundred hours of real training ops footage. Saw it once together, then the second time took friends.

We enjoy films but rather than give our money to hollyred only to have them use it against us when they hand it to leftist politicians and criminal front groups, if we like a film we’ll wait and buy the DVD, used off E-Bay from a fellow citizen.

Can’t see the point of funding those who use our dough against us.

There are probably more conservative actors than we realize, because if they don’t run their own companies they have to be very careful about expressing themselves.

Tom Selleck of “Bluebloods” comes to mind, and his ‘Jesse Stone’ series is the best.

James Woods, who always steals the show, is also LA PD Reserve Officer Woods, and very conservative.

My acting coach, a very kind lady who did a lot of TV work during the 60s and 70s, said just what you said in many ways. One thing she always mentioned was that it’s much easier for a dope to act, because they don’t have too much going on inside.

She said if one has things on their mind, the camera will pick it up by the eyes and minute changes in facial expressions. She said the ideal actor is a simpleton with not much insight, just the ability to ape someone else, and with little going on upstairs.

She also said much of their political expressions are tailored for them by their PR people to keep them in the public eye.

When, for example that Ashley Judd gal shrieks like a cat what got its tail caught in a big, fat, wringer washer, and gasses off about the evil Trump, it’s a sign of two things: one, that her press agent told her to say it to stay relevant, because two, the studios don’t call so much anymore.

29. Lisa February 27, 2017 at 4:57 pm #

I so enjoyed your column about the movie stars—you were right on. I am so tired of these whiny millionaires. They made too much money and then they trash our country. Excuse me, but our capitalistic society is what made you rich. I’m tired of their opinions—who said they were smarter than we are.

I stopped watching their self-congratulatory shows years ago—worthless.

30. Sarah F March 2, 2017 at 1:13 am #

Obama’s Sharia law, are you kidding? Where is the evidence? Marshal, disagree completely and find the piece and lots of the comments very closed-minded.

31. Clearstory March 3, 2017 at 5:44 pm #

There is no more profession that has fallen from grace than law uneforcement. Hardly a week goes by than we don’t read about some cop doing something illegal or immoral or just plain stupid,and getting away with it. Just today reading about the 7 cops in Baltimore or locally, kicking down doors ,having sex on duty ,etc. We were all subjected to the nonsense of cop programs on tv in the 50’s far from the truth . Those of us living in big cities know the only difference between cops and the mob were ones wore uniforms were the ones to fear. Worst yet was the few honest cops not on the take did NOTHING..Put in 20 years stay out of harms way and retire with a fat pension and delude yourself how much you did. The problem with law enforcement and military they are mostly to the political RIGHT. Closed minded and unable to think outside of their narrow minds. 76 and white .

32. adamsalan March 5, 2017 at 1:02 pm #

“It’s a sad day for me. No more Academy Awards.”
    Oh, Frank…give it 11 months and you’ll be looking for that calendar with the date for the next presentations. But I agree with you.
    P.S. I don’t think I’ve ever, in 68 years, watched the Academy Awards presentations. Most of the reason of why not is what you have written about.

33. William Stevens March 5, 2017 at 7:43 pm #

Patriots have become an endangered species in Hollywood.