WHY I LIKE DONALD TRUMP

What do I like about Donald Trump?

He reminds me of another leader who I worked for in the Metro-Dade Police Department. His name was Charlie Black.

Black could be crude sometimes. He was often politically incorrect. Whatever came out his mouth was pure Charlie, he didn’t mince words.  He was afraid of nobody. And, he was honest…to a fault.

The most impressive aspect about Charlie Black was his ability to cut thought the bureaucratic morass and get a job done. Big or small, there was nothing that would stand in his way. He knew best how to get from A to Z without detours, without BS, without bowing to politics or giving a damn about media. He was not always pretty, but he was effective.

As a robust Chief of Detectives, starting at age 32, he garnered enormous respect and admiration from the two hundred detectives that worked under him. Some feared him. He was tough to keep up with because his mind was always five steps ahead. The wheels forever turned. He knew how to assess talent, loyalty and intellect within his ranks, and get the best from them. And as a result, cases were solved, the county leaders were happy, cops felt emboldened and appreciated and bad guys went to prison.

“Frank, I need this document signed by the Sheriff of Monroe County, as soon as possible,” he once barked.

“Yes, Sir. It’s take me at least three hours to drive to Key West.”

“Not good enough,” he countered. Black picked up the phone. From my chair I heard him bark, “Get the STOL aircraft gassed up now, Jim. Marshall Frank will be up there in 20 minutes. He’s going to Key West, asap.”

Charlie looked at me with a sly grin. “Get going, Frank.”

Not a big deal maybe. But the incident was typical of a natural leader who used his brains to circumvent a standard procedure and get it done better and faster. Me?  I enjoyed the ride over the Everglades where the pilot flew at 500 feet to circle a nudist colony. The Monroe County Sheriff?  I caught him at home, wearing shorts and a tee-shirt and his face lathered with shaving cream.

That kind of thought process was applied to everything he did, whether planning for street riots, major events, criminal investigations or dealing with wayward police officers.  He wasn’t admired because of one issue or another, he was admired because the important jobs got done.

People can rip apart Donald Trump from here to eternity. The truth is, some are already predisposed to hate him and others are already predisposed to love him. People see what they want to see.  Some folks have their pet peeves and judge Trump by his stances on veteran support, the environment, or gays, women inequality, blacks, white, purples, guns-no guns, Muslims, Mexicans. Russia, China and hateful news reporters.  He’s not going to satisfy on all fronts, not even to his staunch supporters. But what he will do is be as Charlie Black would be: himself. Like him or not. He will set priorities, he will use the best of people, and he will accomplish missions…all in the best interest of the people.

And, he cannot be bought.

May I repeat:  He cannot be bought!

Trump is unique because he refuses to conform to the political mold. He’ll anger Republicans as fast as he’ll anger Democrats.

Politicians, both parties, don’t like the idea that he will push for term limits in order to rid Washington of career politicians.

They don’t like that he will work toward enacting laws that prohibit senators and congressmen from being elected officials one day and becoming lobbyists the next day.

Many politicians, particularly in the Democrat circles, are afraid that he will enforce laws and arrange systems that will give more jobs to Americans and less jobs, at lower pay, to illegal immigrants.

Some political circles are worried that pay-offs under the radar from corporations will come to an end, thereby returning jobs and production to the United States.

Some news circles are infuriated that Trump will not kiss butts just to gain favorable imagery.

What they really don’t like is that he will say and do what is in his heart, and – as mentioned in his inaugural address – what is best for America, because in our government, America must come first.

I didn’t like some things about Charlie Black. But I trusted him. I admired him. And I knew how really smart he was and that his primary mission was to get the job done, and to get it done right. That’s also true of Donald Trump.

Charlie passed away in his sleep in the summer of 2015, at age 79.

I wrote a tribute.  Here it is:

Click here: GOODBYE, CHARLIE

Hello Donald. Good luck. I know you will do a great job for Americans.

29 Responses to WHY I LIKE DONALD TRUMP

1. Christopher Jones January 21, 2017 at 11:44 am #

A tip of the hat and an R I P to Charlie.

The never Trump folks aka the lame stream media last night took apart one of the most wonderful speeches I have ever heard. RETURN THE POWER TO THE PEOPLE resounded throughout, and yet I heard the left wing idiots say it was a speech that Hitler would have given. What? WHAT? How disconnected from reality can they get?

I am PROUD to have supported him, and prouder still that Trump is now the President. The adults have taken over from the fantasy island crew. We are on the precipice of incredible growth in the U. S. Now, sit back and enjoy.

2. George Wolf January 21, 2017 at 11:57 am #

How fortunate that you were able to know and work for someone like Charlie Black.

I have known a couple of people like that and I think that I became better because of them.

Thanks for your thoughts…

3. Donald January 21, 2017 at 11:57 am #

Whether or not readers like or support President Donald Trump, they better hope he succeeds because if he fails our nation fails. In fact, everyone should ask God to bless our new President and his entire administration. Like him or not, he is a man of action and will get things done. Even if he only succeeds at half of the things he promised, we will be a better nation for it and most of our citizens will love him. Washington DC is full of protestors who no doubt hope he fails. The is irrational! Like it or not, he is our President and we desperately need him to succeed!

4. Murray Levine January 21, 2017 at 12:01 pm #

I agree with every word on Charley black. Your insight about Trump is right on. The only problem is Charley did not have a congress to deal with.

5. Jan Siren January 21, 2017 at 12:13 pm #

regardless of how good a leader Charlie Black was, how flawless his integrity as a law enforcement officer, none of which I question, you are drawing a false analogy here.

Donald Trump isn’t Charlie Black.

Expertise in business – which I grant Donald Trump has; I’d love to have him involved in the decisions about how my 401(k) funds are invested – simply doesn’t translate into public service. Different skills, vastly different motivation.

In fact, I might even be concerned that a single-minded focus on business success might put blinders on such a person with respect to every other human interaction.

Believe me, I will keep this guy under careful scrutiny. Turn to me for advice and comment on him as time passes!

Jan Siren

• Edward A. Hensley January 21, 2017 at 8:09 pm #

Principle and Integrity matter Jan. Charlie had it and took it to that big
      police beat in the sky. Probably helping the Marines secure the Gate
      for St. Peter. Trump has it, with a keen ability to choose the Best and
      the Brightest for each specialty in his Administration. America is in
      much better hands than All State Insurance could ever offer.

6. Dr Jack A. Milavic January 21, 2017 at 12:37 pm #

Charlie was an outstand man. Although Trump is 70 years old he is the first non-career, corrupt politician to obtain the Presidency. For the last fifty years people have complained that our politicians are out of touch with their constituents and corrupt.

I loved his acceptance speech and NO it was not dark but uplifting and encouraging.g

7. Larry Henry January 21, 2017 at 1:18 pm #

Marshal
    There were two men in my business experience like Charley Black. Fletcher Magbee of Magbee Lumber in Norcross, Georgia. And my father, Hugh Jay Henry here in Knoxville, Tennessee. Both are deceased now. Back then I was a lost ball in high weeds. But the things I observed in them final came to pass in me after I became older.
    Obama and his entourage of liberal misfits was a disaster from the get-go. Not one of his cabinet ever worked in the private sector. And none of them had any great love for our republic. In fact, just the opposite was true. They viewed America as the problem, not the solution.
    Hillary Clinton was a money-grubbing vicious old woman, and Nancy Pelosi is the poster lady for CRAZY. From there it goes downhill for Democrats.
    Congressional Republicans weren’t much better. All they did was step-n-fetch for Barack Obama the whole eight years he was president. So the national debt and all those regulations are partly their fault.
    Donald Trump is a breath of fresh air. And that air smells like freedom and jobs and national security. Something we haven’t known since Pelosi and Reid took over the House and Senate in 2006. I fought for Donald Trump. I believe in him the same as I believe in my Marine Corps. Donald J Trump will make America great again. So thank God for The Donald, and God bless our United States.

8. Frank. M. January 21, 2017 at 1:48 pm #

Marshall, you are right on with the comparison between Trump and Charlie Black. I worked for Charlie and you for many years and can only say that it was an experience that I treasured. When things needed to get done, Charlie was the go to guy to get them done. Enjoyed our relationship and miss him. He was a great guy and a great leader. Charlie had his faults but he was one helluva man and I would follow him to the gates of hell. RIP Chief Black.

• Glenn Moffett January 21, 2017 at 10:34 pm #

Is that you Moose? I came on in ’68 and was in Central 8 years and remember Marshall and Charlie well. They we’re legends and saw them on many homicide scenes. I never worked for either one but they were always out there with their men, day or night. I don’t know if Trump & Black is a fair comparison, but if it is, some big changes are a comin.

9. Catherine January 21, 2017 at 2:04 pm #

My husband and I cheered as we watched Donald J. Trump inaugurated. (On our couch ,in front of the TV). We prayed together for his successful election, his safety and for God’s wisdom to guide him. I felt that the prayers offered at the inauguration were the most honest and heartfelt I have ever heard in a political setting. His family is a testament to his kindness and ability to lead. The US will be better off for his leadership.

The detractors are barely covering their fear – they have been uncovered and like cockroaches are scurrying to get out of the light. The political do-nothings who have been feeding at the public trough for the last generation know that their days are numbered in politics. The truth will out.

10. Eugene Nagel January 21, 2017 at 2:05 pm #

so, Dade cnty sheriff dept! in ’68 Dade cnty had two political conventions, 6 weeks apart. i was busy with Miami fire rescue. Chief Bullock was just getting started with county ems. we heard that all kinds of mayhem would be heaped onto Dade cnty during the two conventions. a lot of federal money poured in and a captain of fire rescue (ken mccullough) and i asked to see Major Shelton. he had a pot full of money to make about 10 one hour video training films for the thousands of police. Ken and i asked that one of them be about first aid for the police. Shelton said, “make it and we’ll show it to the tactical squad (motorcycles) and if they don’t laugh you out of the room we’ll show it to the others”. we covered getting doused with acid, gasoline and lit, etc, and what could be done to treat various attacks. the tactical squad didn’t find it funny and it was shown to all of the police. a bit of history, as it were.

11. Tom January 21, 2017 at 2:20 pm #

Having been in sales for an extended period of time, I was fortunate enough to have run across some real characters. I as eager and enthusiastic to the end of my sales career and misjudged from time to time, but I believe that what you have said is true…to get somewhere you have to break a few rules from time to time, and perhaps even threaten a few heads…but…the end generally is letting you stand upright while others are vertical.

Marshall, as always you have said the right things about Trump. I don’t like everything he says and I know he exaggerates because that is the way that he thinks. He is a brilliant man for the job he is about to embark on and I hope he takes Soro and few others “out” during his time in office.

12. Marcy January 21, 2017 at 2:56 pm #

I never had the opportunity to work for Charlie Black while I was on the Department, Frank, but I worked for my own Charlie Black. Like Charlie, he was intelligent, honest and definitely not politically correct in how he said things. I trusted his judgment and most of all, I trusted him with my life. He always had my back and I always had his.

As a female, he treated me no differently than any male that worked for him. I was judged by my ability to get the job done. Sometimes, getting the job done meant being “creative”, but it was always with the best interests of all, including the Department.

Like you, Marshall, I think that Trump will accomplish what is best for this Country and that is why I voted for him.

13. Just Me January 21, 2017 at 4:59 pm #

We had eight long, draining years of the smooth-talking, FlimFlam Obama who was an expert at delivering someone else’s words off a teleprompter. Obama was great at posturing and posing while delivering great speeches. However, Obama’s actions have done severe damage to our country, our military, our finances and our allies. Only fools or those who support Obama’s anti-American agenda deny it.
    So, while Trump is coarse, he loves our country, our military and our allies which makes him the antithesis of Obama and the rest of those lefty Socialist/Communists who quiver at Obama’s feet.

14. Ron January 21, 2017 at 7:46 pm #

It is ironic when you speak of the brashness of Charlie Black. The one thing I remember about him was he did respect hard work and if you were a hard worker and got the job done,he knew about it and respected you for it,although he may not have showed it in so many ways.I do remember when I worked with you and the others in Homicide,the “good old boys” wanted to boot me out because I was not a party hearty guy who wanted to go out with them all the time.That is when I was told that Charlie told them he would transfer them out to find more “party hearty” friends because he liked my work ethic and my productivity.He was brash and sometimes crude but I respected him for what he did for me and it is when I found out that my work was noticed and appreciated.As far as President Trump,I am very pleased he wants to put America first and shake up Washington.I think he will get things done.he does not kiss ass and owes no favors except to those of us “deplorables” who voted for him.God bless America.

15. Edward A. Hensley January 21, 2017 at 8:36 pm #

Grand Slam Frank, on “Why I Like Donald Trump,” which could also
    go under the headline, “Why All Americans owe Trump a chance.”

I have told a new FB Conservative Christian Friend my standard line.
    I voted for a POTUS, not for the POPE. Yes, I stole that, actually from
    the Rev. Franklin Graham or was it from a Black Preacher for Trump?

Nice to read R.I.P Charlie Black again. Not a bad way to make that
    final transfer, home with a loving wife & just moving on in your sleep.
    But at 79? Damn, I’m 78 now, shooting for 88, then 98. Let’s both stick
    around as long as we can Marshall, then go with as much class as
    Charlie Black.

16. Les January 21, 2017 at 10:56 pm #

Marshall, I am so happy to have an adult in the White House for once. I have been dismayed by the number of non-assimilating “refugees” Obama flooded our neighborhoods with. Hillary would be more of the same. Finally we have someone who will stand up for our vets, our law enforcement men and women, and our border patrol. We’ll finally have meaningful borders again, and I don’t care who calls us protectionists. Open borders, catch and release policies and sanctuary cities have put our country in a big mess. Our president wants to fix these problems. What did Hillary ever offer except more liberal trashtalk and lining her own pockets at the expense of the people. who she called “deplorables.” Well, this deplorable is finally proud of our country and the men and women who keep us safe.

17. John Askins January 22, 2017 at 7:26 am #

I just finished reading this column, “GOODBYE CHARLIE”, and all of the comments. Totally awesome. What a way to start the morning.

18. John M. January 22, 2017 at 11:22 am #

Hi Marshall,

I read your comments about “Why I like Donald Trump” and found some of them quite interesting. As to the reasons you like Trump,

1) “He cannot be bought!” I tend to agree with you; however, two things bother me: (1) he has a history of bankrupting companies, and (2) he has not released his tax returns. Either or both would have prevented him from getting loans from most banks. So, what is he hiding? And, does he have serious financial problems which might become obvious if one had access to the tax returns. As a long-time banker who has done a good amount of lending and who, as a banking consultant, has written Credit Policy Manuals for close to 100 banks, just because a man says he is rich (or a billionaire) doe not mean he really is, and more importantly, whether he is of sufficient character to trust.

2) He will certainly shake-up the political establishment – he already has and will most likely keep doing it.

My thoughts on his election:

1) As to Trump and Hillary, 320 million Americans and that’s the best we can do? I held my nose and voted for Hillary. However, my cynical attitude was that, no matter who won, I was going to be very happy that the other one lost. And I was.

2) My wife woke me up at 4 am on November 9 to tell me that Trump won. Needless to say, I could not get back to sleep. However, within less than 48 hours and a few well written articles / columns, I realized what happened and that I, like the Democrat Party and many Americans, missed what was going on with the “deplorables” or, more respectfully, the working man, the rural dweller, the middle class, etc. and why they voted for Trump.

3) Hillary defeated herself by, in order of importance: (a) using the term “deplorable”, (b) Comey reopening (or claiming to have reopened) the email investigation at the last minute, (c) probable Russian interference. Hopefully, she will stay defeated never to appear on the American political stage again.

3) Cynically, I believe that 3/4 of American voters deserve Trump: the 1/2 that didn’t vote and the nearly half of the remainder who voted for him. At this point you probably have figured-out that I might be a Democrat. I was an Independent up until age 54 in 1999 when the GOP put-up a 40 year old alcoholic, drunk driving, coke snorting business failure to be President of the United States and followed-up in 2008 by putting-up a guy, McCain, whom I would have voted for when he was younger and who by 2008 would have been the oldest man in history to assume the office and backed him up with the ignorant bimbo, Palin. W showed me the error of my ways, and I registered as a Democrat – first time I ever affiliated with a party – and volunteered on the Bob Graham for President campaign.

4) There was a news report from Mount Vernon yesterday that George Washington rolled over in his grave yesterday morning around 11am (just kidding, obviously) but you get my point.

5) Trump could make a very positive difference if he actually can effect some of the changes that he talked about during his campaign when he was mainly just saying stuff. If he can influence the elimation of some of the onerous regulation of business and American life in general, he could turn-out to be worthy of being the fifth face on Mount Rushmore. We will see….

19. reality January 22, 2017 at 11:23 am #

Cutting thru bureaucratic morass for law enforcement is forgetting the consitution and civil rights of American’s. Law enforcement is well versed in that as they enforce their own version of the law and get away with it.

20. Eileen Dykeman January 22, 2017 at 1:18 pm #

A beautiful tribute to your friend, Charlie; and I agree with all your comments re Trump. I have two concerns about Trump:

1. His enemies will continue a non-stop smear campaign and will try, at some point(s) to get him impeached.

2. Although his personal physician likely deems him to be very fit for the position of POTUS, I think it may also be likely that he could be considered medically obese. This, along with the combination of both his age and workaholic nature, cause me to fear that he could sustain a massive MI before he even gets a shot at a second term.

I truly hope I’m wrong on both accounts.

Lastly, the general media’s coverage of the women’s March is a joke. Of course, the women’s group has the right to protest, just like any other group; but, for heaven’s sake, no one is trying to take away any woman’s right to vote (the comparison to the women’s suffrage movement a century ago is ridiculous).

21. john mckay January 22, 2017 at 7:38 pm #

RIP CHARLIE,AGREAT GUY WHO I SHARED SOME GOOD TIMES WITH.GARY ,BUTCH AND JOHN UHER WERE OTHERS IT IS WAIT AND SEE WITH TRUMP,YOU CAN TALK THE TALK BUT CAN YOU WALK THE WALK.

22. Dave January 23, 2017 at 9:57 am #

Very interesting parallel with a lot of truth

23. Charlie Greene January 23, 2017 at 9:58 am #

Well said Marshall.
    Charlie

24. Dennis McGroarty January 24, 2017 at 6:05 pm #

Nice comparison. I can see similar characteristics in both men.
    I am sure we are going to finally go in the right direction.

25. Mike W January 29, 2017 at 4:45 pm #

JUST LIKE CHARLIE — GET ER DONE PRES. TRUMP

26. Sammie February 1, 2017 at 2:21 am #

I enjoyed reading this. My Dad was a man like this, too. He passed away 11 years ago. I really miss him.

27. Jose March 6, 2017 at 2:54 pm #

Your guy is a pathological liar and the Ruskies are in his hip pocket.