BITCH, BITCH, BITCH

We all bitch about something, sometime, somewhere…little annoyances ( and big ones). Here are eleven issues that are at the top of my everyday list.

1. Retail Charity Traps.

I am offended when drug stores, super markets and other retail outlets are required to ask customers “Would like to donate to…such and such?” First, that puts the shopper in an uncomfortable position of saying “no” thus presenting an air of being insensitive. Second, it is presumptuous to draw shoppers into a trapped scenario to ask for charity donations. Three, retailers have no idea if a shopper is dirt poor or if she/he is contributing millions to charity already. It’s wrong, they should all stop the trap-begging at the register.

2. Screaming kids.

I have kids, I love kids. But I don’t love screaming kids especially when we are in a public place like a movie house, restaurant or shopping establishment where we have an expectation of being free from public disturbance. They are not cute. They are not entitled to impede myenjoyment at a restaurant where we are paying small or large sums of money to enjoy a socialouting. Some parents are thoughtful and take their kids outside. Other parents are depolorable thinking nothing of disturbing others.

3. Mega-loud Radio Music.

One day, I’m going to pull along side a car full of Justin Bieber types, open my window and blast Beethoven’s 5th as loud as the radio will go. This has nothing to do with the type of music one prefers, it has to do with plain rudeness. Some folks, particularly in the senior variety, have an aversion to high-decibel noise. It’s no less than disturbing the peace.

4. Coming Out:

Every week, it seems we hear about some movie star, singer, sports athlete or politician who has “come out,” ordained like heroes by the media. I think I speak for most folks when I say: I don’t give a damn. What someone does with the sex organs behind closed doors, and with whom, is none of my concern and neither should it be headlines for public consumption. Sex life is a private matter, but sadly, not in the 21st century, particularly if homosexuality is part of the equation.

5. Tattoos and Piercings:

I know I’m considered old fashioned and out of touch old fogey, but I matter as a citizen just as much as anyone. When I see someone whose arms, back and neck are covered with tattoos and their faces are impaled with metal objects in lips, eyebrows, nostrils…and who knows where else…it makes me wonder how much time they spend looking at themselves in the mirror every day.

6.   Cell Phone Addicts:

Families sit at a table, mute, devices in hand, texting, playing games, talking on the phone, while no one pays any attention to each other, and we wonder what has happened to our ability to interact and communicate. Kids are provided devices as mechanical baby sitters so moms and dads are free to text and talk. People who use devices for photos, texting and video at theater events are grossly inconsiderate of others.

7. Hanging Pants:

Boys who wear their pants below their underwear should be arrested and charged with indecent exposure. It is offensive and a public insult.

8. Rap Music:

It’s an oxymoron. Yes, there’s always a beat, but I never hear any music. Rappers are notorious for getting in trouble by committing criminal acts, a horrible role model for kids of all ages and races. Much of the rap culture is laden with foul language, sex and hate rhetoric, particularly toward cops and parents. It’s inconceivable that parents not only endorse junk music, they often listen as well giving validity to a culture that is rude, crude and reeking of depravity.

9. Movies and Rock Stars who Glorify Drugs:

It’s all about the money, values be damned. More than ever, we are seeing recording stars and Class A motion pictures depicting drug use as a cool behavior, with subliminal messages that countermand everything and anything their parents and other family members are trying to teach.

10. Telemarketers:

Should absolutely be banned. Same with poll takers, political hacks, snake-oil sales people and anyone else who use a personal phone number to trap you into a pitch you don’t want to hear. Not everyone can easily grab a ringing telephone due to physical restrictions, yet they try and then find themselves begging to be left alone. It’s more than an annoyance, it is a violation of privacy.

11. Politicians Who Lie:

When elected officials takes an oath of office to uphold and protect the constitution, they are swearing to tell the truth. When he/she lies for political expediency, it is tantamount to committing perjury. Once a politician knowing tells a falsehood, he/she should be removed from office as untrustworthy.

There are certainly more, but these are at the top of my list. How about you?

42 Responses to BITCH, BITCH, BITCH

1. Donald February 18, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

I certainly agree with all of these and could probably name a few more. We have evolved to an ever increasingly egocentric society in which many of us couldn’t care less about how we affect other people. I have several times let people in restaurants know what I think of their telephone conversations in my ear while I’m trying to enjoy a meal. They always look surprised when I object to them whipping out a cell phone to carry on a loud conversation in the booth next to mine. The same is true in movie theaters. I have several times recently asked other patrons to please turn off their cell phones because the light is distracting from the movie. The too always seem surprised that anyone would object. One more thing I would add: I hate to listen to public conversations in which I have to listen to people express their thoughts with the kind of profanity one used to find only on bathroom walls. We seem to leave lost our civility as a society.

2. Laura February 18, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Definitely a generation gap here!

3. Celia Miles February 18, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

I’m with you on each and every one–and I don’t feel guilty about saying “no” in a retail line.

4. George Saufley February 18, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

Stanley Milligram did this experiment on how rewards change perception Dr. Phil’s show yesterday and today demonstrates how extreme this psycho-sociological process can be. Extreme examples of this occur millions of times every day and that’s why we have a problem with mental illness and the highest incarceration rate in this country. Politicians pass laws demanding social change but have no clew on how to implement these laws so second rate managers are rewarded to implement cruel extreme behaviors to get this done resulting in low morale and desperate behaviors.

• George Saufley February 20, 2014 at 12:17 am #

We have become a “victim culture” that victimization has become a “rite of passage” back in the 1980′s I was accused being in the office and engaging in inappropriate behavior in the office at a time when I was more than 60 miles away from the office celebrating our wedding anniversary with my in an upscale restaurant. What it says is that our politicians, lawyers, judges and managers are completely dysfunctional when leading managing in a diverse society.

5. Ron Fischer February 18, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

In many ways, Marshall, you are describing the 21st Century equivalent of the re-enactment of the fall of Rome. These “annoyances” are constant reminders of the decline in morality, civility, and common courtesy towards each other. They are the trappings of the drug culture, ignorance, and cultural poverty.

The pot is simmering and very soon it will burst into a boil. We don’t have the government credibility to manage the consequences when the lid comes off.

You have described very well, the “scariest movie of all”.

• Roland Peterson February 18, 2014 at 3:38 pm #

Right on Marshall & Ron. I am often pained to hear religious leaders urging us lemmings over a cliff. My impression of most social activists is they want to sow confusion and unrest to that our republic will fall. Too few consider Roman history. The rudness & selfishness are only symptoms of our social decay.

6. John McGuire February 18, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

A few comments:

5. Tattoos and Piercings:

Comment: If you had all this stuff on you or in you, why would you want to scare yourself by looking in the mirror? This could cause deep depression and regret.

10. Telemarketers:

Comment: If a telemarketer catches me at a convenient moment, I enjoy messing with them. (1) I show apparent great interest in what they are selling. (2) I ask them complex or nonsensical questions about the produce/service/investment and about which they do not have an answer. (3) Especially in the case of those trying to sell crappy or fraudulent investments, when the telemarketer tries to close me, I say: “I am willing to take 50″, at which time they ask $50,000 and I say: “No, $50. This is especially fun when the telemarketer assumes $50,000 and puts the manager on to take the order and I correct him about the amount. The result of all this is diabolical pleasure and knowing that I have wasted the jerk’s time and maybe gotten him reprimanded by the manager for wasting time on me without knowing the commitment.

7. Tom February 18, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

Unfortunately Marshall, these gripes will continue long after our existence. By the way, when is your next book coming out? I’m looking forward to it. Tom

8. Dave Rivers February 18, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

No argument here, in fact total agreement. Just be careful with #3 in Jacksonville!

9. Jim Harris February 18, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

Thank you Marshal, you said what millions of us think.

10. Tara February 18, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

I agree that most of these annoyances are certainly “bitch-worthy.” I would however, make an exception for “coming out.” Although it is commonly equated with sex as in the act itself, being gay is not about sex. The emotional pain and exhuberant relief of finally being able to be secure enough about one’s self is what coming out is all about. Its not just celebrities, but also regular human beings who bravely come out of the closet. If a celebrity coming out encourages others to be honest, then the celebrity has actually used that celebrity pulpit for good.

My son told me that the hardest thing he has ever done was coming out to me, his mother. One of his happiest moments was my response to his admission. Not all who are brave enough receive acceptance. But it is worth the pain of coming out to live as one is, and not as one who must pretend.

All of us who live with secrets know how that feels.

11. Chris February 18, 2014 at 3:43 pm #

Love it love it love it.

For No. 1, I tell them I am a charity, and I am broke, and would they consider donating to me. Usually, they shut up.

For No. 2. Don’t know how to combat it other than avoid the restaurant that won’t put a stop to it. Then, get on Trip Advisor, and tell them why the place stinks, and you would recommend NO ONE ever go there. They will get the hint and do something when business declines.

For No. 3 & 7 & 8. I love big bands and the music from that era. Any time I am near the thump thump crap emitting from the pant draggers, I kick up MY music as loud as I can. Nothing like a little Opus 1 played at level 10 to make them take their often vulgar music elsewhere. As for their pants, all you need to do is look them strait in the eye, and ask them when they got out of prison, and do they miss their homosexual lover. Follow it with…hey, that is prison lore…the “receiver” always advertises with his pants at half mast.

For No. 5. We need to start a new set of words for the homosexual community. They (a minority) should not be allowed to co-opt the word marriage. If they want to do a union of some type, they (the ones who already co-opted the word gay) ought to consider being gayried, or they are going to gayrry someone, or they just had a gayrraige. As for coming out, who indeed cares. But don’t change 6000+ years of the definition of marriage. And one more thing…come up with something different, you gay guys, than referring to each other as your husband. Too confusing to me. Refer to your spouse as your gayband or something.

For 6, 10, & 11. Ban them, arrest them and possibly shoot them. I would love to shoot my phone. The only problem with shooting a lying politician, is they pretty much all lie, and … well … guess that would mean a high cost of ammo.

9. Shoot the Hollywood idiots who put that crap out.

Honestly. You want to make a politician tell the truth, Hollywood stop putting out sewage, and rude cell phone users quit being idiotic, tell them all there will be one day a year, that it is legal to shoot them. And we won’t tell you what day it is, until 6AM the day of open season. How much fun would that be….

12. Les February 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm #

I’d like to add my pet peeves to yours:
    1. kids at McDonald’s who can’t make change when I order a senior coffee.
    2. Robocalls before 9 a.m., even if they say they are courtesy calls. It’s not courteous to wake me up!
    3. Schools indoctrinating children about sex before they are old enough to know what sex is.
    4. Rudeness on cell phones – talking loudly into their phones while I am trying to hear what my friend is saying at a restaurant.
    5. Multitasking while driving. I actually saw someone trying to read a map while driving over 70 mph on the interstate.
    I don’t think kids today are taught how to think, common courtesy, common sense, or
    responsibility. I hate to think where this generation will be in 50 years.

13. Rico February 18, 2014 at 4:15 pm #

I haven’t read all the posts, but if somehow it wasn’t mentioned, let me throw in two of my biggest pet peaves. The first is appeasing a minority of folks while ticking off the majority and secondly is political correctness, “a scourge on America,” a quote from Ben Carson.

14. swifty February 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

You hit on most if not all of my primary gripes. Yes, I am with you on all.

I have a permit to carry but, I only carry in places I know to be dangerous and never when I am out for simple recreation in a pub or other public place that might annoy me. I don’t think I would ever pull the weapon at the wrong time but, I am aware of temper tantrums in all of us. It is human nature and not to be trusted.

15. Snake Hunter February 18, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

YEP…. It’s a wild and diverse world out there, as any enforcement officer knows!

I have a nephew that tattooed….SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS… ON THE BACK OF HIS NECK!

Guess Who? —- > BIGGEST LIAR ON DAILY TELEVISION….. IS IT BARRY?

“YOU CAN KEEP YOUR HEALTH PLAN,,.. KEEP YOUR DOCTOR….. Period!”
    Hey, Call For A Special Bi-Partisan Investigation, asking for Possible Impeachment?
    ( YOU THINK THAT”S UNBELIEVABLE ? HILLY>FOR>PREZIDINT With slick willy bubba >>> or cute huma-huma-huma ( in Oscar de la renta threads \>>> Oil Slick — Ouch! )
    Or Is it.. Buy ONE. Men’s Designer Suit.. GET 2 FREE // Next Week,,, GET 3 FREE !
    …. At >>> Joseph A. BUNCO!!!

Hey, Somebody! Call The VISE/ BUNCO SQUAD. Major Consumer Fraud On TV??

For All Of The Snot-Nosed Pinheads & Potheads Out There….. YOU BOUGHT IT…
    THE FREEBEE FOOD STAMPS… FREEBEE MEDICAL PROMiSES.. I DID NOT.
    NOW, YOUR KIDS ARE GONNA PAY THE PRICE… GOD HELP ‘EM.

WEALTH Re-Distribution? Uh-Huh. Then Who Creates Tomorrow’s Jobs, Pinhead?

reb —- >>> >>> >>> >>> . http://www.lazyonebenn.blogspot.com
    ___ ___

16. Justme February 18, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

Re: # 7 –
    -At a Palm Bay restaurant, I said to a young man – “Are you aware that I can see all of your underwear?” (his pants were down below his butt).
    -He said, “yes.”
    -I said, “Please pull them up. We’re in a restaurant and no one wants to see someone else’s underwear when they’re eating. Do you have a belt or suspenders you can wear to pull your pants up? Because if you don’t, I’ll gladly give you one.”
    -He said he had a belt at home. He promptly pulled his pants up.
    -I said, “Please use a belt next time you go to a restaurant.”

After he paid for his food and left, the waitress thanked me for speaking up. She said she wasn’t permitted to say anything to any patron whose pants hung down like that.

What kind of a restaurant forbids its wait staff from making the rest of the patrons more comfortable?

PS. I used my best grandparent voice when talking to him. He wasn’t rude in return, just surprised that I asked him to pull his pants. up.

17. Frank M. February 18, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

I have a problem with when I say “thank you” to someone their answer to me is “no problem”. I didn’t have a problem to begin with I was just trying to say thank you for fine service. The proper response to thank you, is “you’re welcome”. How hard is that???

• Patti McBride February 19, 2014 at 11:19 am #

Oh, that’s one of my biggest pet peeves, too…have never heard anyone else say that bugs them, as well. It’s rude and I’m tempted to say something but just haven’t thought of a good comeback yet, lol.

18. Brooks February 18, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

MY RESPONSES TO THIS LIST: First four on your list, next four to follow.

1. Retail Charity Traps.
    If by “trap” you mean being manipulated to do something against your will, you have selected a very narrow topic. I don’t buy the line that you are powerless. There are manipulators all over the place. Wake up. Grow a spine. Learn to say no along with the rest of us. Stop worrying about what others think of you when you say no; I always thought you were the type of person who says no and is proud of it. When did you turn into such a wimp?

2. Screaming kids.
    I agreed with you about what is expected of parents with kids who are getting noisy, let alone screaming, in places like theatres and high-end stores. However, when you walk into an eatery that advertises itself as a “Family” restaurant, please recognize that noisy kids come along with family. When you walk through a Wal-Mart, who said no one should disturb your “expectation” of silence? I’ve never been in a Wal-Mart that was noise-free. If you don’t like all the noise, go down the street to that high-priced restaurant where the parents are wealthy enough to afford a babysitter. Better yet, move into a rest home: plenty of silent dining there. And please, only shop in very expensive stores downtown, where it’s so quiet and peaceful mainly because people with families can’t afford what they sell there. But for God’s sake, wear your earphones, wherever else you go. Hey, let me ask again: when did you turn into such a wimp?

3. Mega-loud Radio Music.
    So you turn right around from complaining about noisy kids to becoming one yourself. “Fight noise with noise,” right? I appreciated your complaint about people playing loud music in cars, but have you tried rolling up your windows? Pulling out those handy earphones? Growing a spine? The behavior of the people in the other car certainly is rude. That doesn’t mean that you must also be rude. My personal recommendation, as you watch the rest of society march with determination straight to the pits of hell, is to sit back and smile. At least you’re not marching in their parade.

4. Coming Out:
    I also think the media celebrate the public display of a star’s homosexual persuasion way too much. Wouldn’t it be nice to be a star and turn suddenly to the cameras to announce, “I want everyone to know that I am a heterosexual, and I enjoy sex with my partner. Read my new book about my growing awareness of my heterosexual nature.” May we all follow your sound advice and stop caring so much about what other people do with their private parts to show love.

Next four to follow

• Patti McBride February 19, 2014 at 11:34 am #

Fine for you to respond with your own opinion on what Marshall posted but not fine that you can’t do so without throwing insults toward him in the process. It’s rude no matter how clever or funny you think yourself to be.

19. Brooks February 18, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

5. Tattoos and Piercings:
    You turn right around from advocating apathy about whether a star is gay or not, to taking an unusual degree of interest in whether a person is tattooed or not. What people do with their own bodies is their business, whether it’s allowing their partner to sodomize them or wearing so many tattoos they qualify to be their own personal work of art at the local museum. I don’t much care. It’s doubtful I’m going to take my business to a store where everyone is caught up in some undignified contest to be nominated for the Illustrated Man, but then, that’s my business. When your store stops making a profit because of your hiring decisions on behalf of employees who want to look like drug dealers, don’t come crying to me. It’s your capital. It’s your investment.

6. Cell Phone Addicts:

Like Stephen King, I don’t own a personal cell phone. I think I’m in good company. I do agree that electronic devices are detracting from our ability to interact and communicate with each other as human beings, but I deal with this by focusing on my own ability to interact and communicate well. I do this with someone who is a cell phone addict and watch their eyes widen in shock at the human being across from them. I breathe the air and feel a sense of power. My job is to interrupt your cell phone conversation at my cash register at work, which allows you to purchase something at my store. And the person on his or her cell phone thinks I’m the rude one.

7. Hanging Pants:

If a person from any ethnic background came to me looking for work but couldn’t pull up his or her pants, or leave his or her underwear beneath their clothing, I would like to be able to produce a pacifier, hand it to them, and tell them, “We don’t hire people here who can’t dress themselves. Come back when you have learned how. Maybe an adult in your family can help you with that.” Of course, if I did that, I could expect to be shot or beaten to death. Better just not to respond to their job application so that the government can support them on my tax dollars because I was too timid to paint them a picture. You see the catch-22 here, don’t you?

8. Rap Music:

I agreed with your position completely here. It’s not music: it’s a poetry recital, and a pretty dismal, vulgar, violent one at that. You said it advocated violence “particularly toward cops and parents”, but you left out women as another group, Frank. It’s a pretty serious, pathetic social problem when you hear some groups actually defending rap music as an art form that “just reflects our culture.” There are other ethnic groups in our country who have risen above violence and crime rather than equate violence and crime with who they are as a people. I would suggest that so-called rap music is the lazy person’s way to make lots of money at the expense of other lazy people just looking for an excuse to shoot people, do drugs, and remain unemployed because they never learned to pull up their pants, much less grow up.

20. Brooks February 18, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

9. Movies and Rock Stars who Glorify Drugs:

My only suggestion about battling this cultural phenomenon and fighting its influence on my own children is to educate them about drugs in the first place. I want my kids to be equipped with the information to make intelligent decisions, and I am glad to say that my own 15-year-old daughter is making them now. The best way to fight this phenomenon is to talk with your kids and educate them. Addiction to drugs may look cool, but addiction takes no prisoners. There is no glory in seeing a star dying from drugs in the end: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and a multitude of talents have been lost to addiction, and you can almost see the lineup of stars just waiting to die, surprisingly soon. Educate your kids about what you see happening. You cannot protect them at every turn in the world. The internet is chock-full of resources for having that discussion.

10. Telemarketers:

Well, while I do agree that telemarketers intrude on us all the time, I don’t buy the illusion that I am powerless here as well, Frank. Ever heard of caller ID? Ever heard of the Do Not Call list, which works in nearly every case I know of? No one, absolutely no one, has some magic power that is forcing you to answer your telephone every time it rings, physical restrictions or no physical restrictions. You have more power than you realize here, but once you start answering every telemarketing call that comes along, not to mention buy something, you yourself open up a regular Pandora’s box. Again, there are many resources on the internet for dealing effectively with telemarketers in short order. When did you start becoming such a wimp, Frank?

11. Politicians Who Lie:

Oh my, Frank. Where have you been all this time? You can tell whether a politician is lying: his or her lips are moving. Removing a politician from public office for lying just seems so ordinary and trivial nowadays; I want to suggest that you try removing a politician from office when there is evidence that he has deliberately created a traffic jam in New Jersey at the peak of rush hour. Now there’s a man you could vote in as President of the United States. There are just so many more salacious things to remove politicians from public office for. What you need to do first, though, Frank, is go out on the streets and interview the ordinary Joe Sidewalk about how politicians are actually, legitimately removed from office. Most folks have no idea. Maybe that would be a good place to start. Meanwhile, I wish you well as you recover from this last, important discovery, that politicians lie. You had better prepare yourself for a brave, new world. Worse things happen all the time.

21. Mike February 18, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

Totally agree with the coming out issue. That’s your business, not mine or anyone else’s. Please just “stay in” –I don’t need to know.

For all the waiters and waitresses reading this, my mom is NOT a guy, so stop asking “how are you guys today” when you greet the table.

22. roger ryan February 18, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

IM WITH YOU ALL THE WAY MARSHALL, I HAD 6 CHILDREN 4 GIRLS 2 BOYS, AND THE WORSE THING YOU COULD DO TO THEM WAS TAKE THERE BOOK AWAY FROM THEM AND TELL THEM TO GO TO THEIR ROOM.
    WHERE EVER WE TOOK THEM THEY BEHAVE, AND THE ONES WITH THEIR PANTS DOWN AROUND THEIR BACK SIDE, NEED 1 DAY IN BOOT CAMP, AND 5 WENT TO COLLAGE, ON STUDENT LOANS, AND THEY PAID THEM BACK…..Roger

• Ron Fischer February 20, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

We need a lot more like you Roger! I’m proud of you because of what your kids have done!

23. Marie and Vinny February 18, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

All we can say is Amen !! l

24. Carol Grupe February 18, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Marshall, I absolutely agree with all of your ” bitches”, As I am in the same age group, I guess that’s part of it. We were brought up with manners and respect, whatever happened to that?
    As for the “dunning” at the checkout lines,I have adopted a blanket “no” policy and don’t feel guilty. We will donate to the charity of our choice.

Keep up the good work!

25. Denis February 18, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

Funny Stuff. I particularly like how the republic is about to fall because someone wears his pants to low or some loud kid doesn’t want to eat his peas in a restaurant. Wait you weren’t joking?? I used to be that kid. Good thing I didn’t eat near someone with your outlook on life. They would have shot me. Rome did not fall because people were rude. It fell because their economy was based on slavery and gold. They eventually could not pay their army with gold and silver and they gradually subsituted other base metals until the coins were worthless. The army slowed down its enslavement of conquered peoples. Even then it took 200 years for it to completely cave in. Get a grip Marshall. The world is not going to hell in a handbasket. For everyone’s safety I hope most of the responders to this article are not packing heat. After all the people who text in movies, loud kids in restaurants, boys with low hanging pants and anyone else that pisses old farts off get shot, there might not be anyone left to pay our Social Security Taxes.

• Patti McBride February 19, 2014 at 11:47 am #

The ultimate reason Rome fell was because of gross moral depravity…the same kind of things Marshall addressed in our world/societies. And it’s not old farts going into schools and theaters shooting/randomly killing people.

• Chris February 19, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Bravo Patti M. You hit the nail on the head. It WAS moral depravity that caused Rome to fall. When anything goes…well, anything goes.

I still believe in right and wrong. This whole gray thing means no one can make a moral error. Baloney.

• Ron Fischer February 20, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

Patti you are absolutely dead nuts correct! We have a moral cancer growing in this country and the first symptoms are the absence of respect; respect for others and respect for self.

Read about the Decline and Fall of Rome, even if it frightens you!

26. Charlotte February 18, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

Thank you, Marshall for a very timely, excellent and well needed article ( which I will forward to all on my mailing list)……….my thoughts personified!! All the comments were excellent – especially the correlation to Rome – which I have expounded for many years…………Charlotte

27. Larry G. February 19, 2014 at 8:00 am #

“STOP GLOBAL WHINING”

“If there was a $5.00 charge for each whining episode we could wipe out the National Debt over night.

28. Eileen February 19, 2014 at 9:25 am #

I agree on all, Marshall, and they’re reflective of a deterioration of our society. I’ll add, more than a pet peeve, something that makes me very angry; the abuse and overbreeding of domestic animals as well as the exploitation of animals in the wild. All animal abusers should be forced to do a “sentence” of community service and be banned from ever owning another pet; and there should be stricter protection worldwide that would save animals from being killed simply because people want ivory sculptures, fur on their backs or the privilege of boasting about how many animal heads hang on their walls. A much simpler pet peeve is Progressive Insurance commercials of “mascot” 1960′s Flo who is NOT at all “progressive” but rather an insult to today’s women.

29. Kathleen Wattles February 19, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

You are “right on” again I agree with all of them and appreciate hearing how many others agree.

30. Denis February 19, 2014 at 6:28 pm #

I thought Slavery and mass murder for profit was moral depravity but I could be wrong. My point was that Rome was always morally bankrupt by this forums standards and yet it took hundreds of years to desolve. It had nothing to do with their unrestricted mating habits. I like the example of Rome because it best describes how this country may slowly decay. It won’t be because kids play loud rap music or people pester you for money at retail checkout but because our money will not be worth the paper it is printed on.

31. Marcia February 19, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

O.K,, now that so many of us are in agreement about these issues, where are the courageous among us who will be willing to begin the process of turning the tide like so many of our ancestors did to invoke change? The reason we’re seeing some of these trends in our society is because people, many of whom are actually in the minority, organized themselves, got a very liberal Hollywood to back them vocally and financially and forced their agenda. Just sayin’…

32. blaine keller February 19, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

Your method of handling booming radios in other cars touched a cord with me (as did all the others). I’ve always wished I had the means to invent an electronic tech device that could turn their radio up to the absolute max and then blow up their radio / device. I say enough understanding and coddling BS. We need to return to an eye for an eye, or an ear for an ear!

33. paul vincent zecchino February 21, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

Marshall & friends –

Agree with all pet peeves. Tattoos at one time ‘meant something’ according to the forensic clinicians but today it often simply means the person fell for the fad and in future will spend well at the dermatologist to get the tats removed.

Maybe my family and I run with the wrong crowd but none of us have as good friends people with tattoos. Acquaintances? Sure. But good friends? No. Just the way it worked out.

Re: screaming kids. When we were kids, may Heaven help us if we acted up public. Today? Mustn’t stifle the little darlings’ ‘creativity’.

My wife and I, upon hearing a kid screeching, simply smile and say, “Isn’t that nice? We’ll be reading about him when he’s eighteen!”

Agree fully with Ron Fischer. Gibbons wrote long and well of these behaviors, as did Matthew in Chapter 24, Luke in 21, and Mark in 13.

34. Bill Stringer February 23, 2014 at 9:01 am #

Good one today. Let me add to the list:

In my work career I was constanly on the roads of South Fla. I worked the Keys to Sebastian from 1973 to 2008.
    I sold gourmet foods to supermarkets, gourment shops, delis, caterers, gift basket makers, hotels and resturants.
    I have over 3.5 million miles on me and 7 plus years sitting behind the wheel. So driving wasnt just a
    job it was a freaking ADVENTURE….HA HA HA

Morons who race on the Interstate or Turnpike zipping in and outta lanes terrorizing people.
    Stupid, stupid nutjobs who tailgate.
    Rubberneckers……I could tell some stories…..
    Nut jobs who use their horns as weapons.
    People who walk their dogs off leash and are indignant when someone pulls em up and reminds the fools of the idiocy they can cause.
    People who make dogs mean so they can fight better….they need a beat down and time in Raiford.
    People who are hoarders and cat ladies, these people are sick and should get help….also the fire dept.
    should burn down their stinking filthy houses, give the newbies some real experience. It would be a great service to the rest of us.