SHOULD THERE BE A “GAY” REALITY BACHELOR?

I consider myself a fairly liberal minded person in regards to many social matters. But the “gay” issue has somehow gone out of control.

I have a gay granddaughter. My wife and I have gay friends. I think gays are entitled to the same “rights” as any American, particularly in the areas of jobs and services, and etc.

However, I don’t think gay boys should be permitted into female bathrooms because they “feel” like a female. (See link, below) I don’t think taxpayers should be burdened with medical costs if some convicted murderer in prison wants a sex change operation. (See link, below) I don’t want to know about the sexual orientation of every celebrity or politician in America, as though that defines people. I don’t care about their preferences about where and with whom they exchange sexual pleasures. Why does their sexual business have to be my business?

I don’t think the issue of gay-versus-straight should ever be raised in the Boy Scout membership inductions, because once that becomes publicly important, it loses to focus of the Scout program. And, because of media and social pressures we are basically validating boys preferences regarding their private activity with their genitals. It becomes known, when we don’t need to know it.

When a boy of fourteen announces he is gay, he is saying, “I like sexual contact with other boys.”

Why do we need this?

Sorry folks, like it or not, but to be gay is to be “different” than straight, and vice versa.  Call me homophobe if you want, I object to seeing a female in the Walmart men’s room, because she feels like a male. And neither do I want to see boys in the Walmart lady’s room, and I think most women would agree.

Though he made nearly seventy films, Rock Hudson’s legacy is not as an actor, it’s the revelation that he was a gay man, after all.  Coming out of the closet basically erased his movies from the cable archives because folks could no longer perceive him as a leading man actor having romance with a woman. Yes, he was just acting, and we know that intellectually. But emotionally and psychologically, fans could no longer perceive Hudson as a heterosexual, leading man figure. And now that Jody Foster is out of the closet, I seriously doubt we’ll see any more movies with her in a straight, romantic role.

This brings me to the controversy concerning the reality TV show, The Bachelor, which I never watch. Somehow, this egomaniacal girls-chase-boy extravaganza recently found its way into the news, not because of anything occurring in the show, but because of a few off-show comments by the Bachelor himself.

Some ignorant reporter asked 32-year-old Juan Galavis the dumbest question: “What do you think about having gays on this show, or a gay version?”

Who said, Don’t ask the question if you don’t want to hear the answer?

First of all, it was a loaded question which received the desired results: Controversy. The reporter was looking for a “Gotcha.” It was also asked of the wrong person, who has nothing to do with producing television shows. Third, Galavis is just a pawn in the reality show industry, doing his assigned role, why back him against the wall with such a question?

Galavis, a Venezualan who struggles a bit with English, responded that he thought it was a bad idea…not a good example for kids…”  And then this comment:  “There’s this thing about gay people… it seems to me, and I don’t know if I’m mistaken or not… but they’re more ‘pervert’ in a sense. And to me the show would be too strong… too hard to watch.”

After reading the outraged responses by people and the networks, one would think he praised Hitler.

He is a 32 year old man with his own opinions. Those opinions are shared by millions. He is entitled to his opinions. He apologized later saying he didn’t mean the term “pervert” as it was heard, that his command of English is not all that good.

The Bachelor is a show about dozens of girls who seek the affections of one man. That happens to be a heterosexual-based premise. Galavis was raised in another country and another culture where views may not be the same as Americans.  Regardless, he is now being condemned by the pro-gay army and the media while the show’s producers are tap dancing with a torrent of apologies.

It’s time to get real. I believe in equal rights for homosexuals, particularly when it comes to the rights afforded in the constitution. We’ve had wonderful gay people in the arts, the political arena, sports, and all other walks of life. That’s a good thing. But it’s not a good thing when someone is condemned for expressing a candid view, particularly when they were asked. There’s nothing wrong with a person who might feel that gay people are not exactly like himself.

Like it or not, there is a difference.

Outnumbered: Juan Pablo Galavis is the first Hispanic to lead the love charge on The Bachelor, but he doesn't feel the show has room for gays

Click here: Juan Pablo Galavis Says There Shouldn’t Be a Gay Bachelor | TIME.com

Click here: All wrong — in California, girls can use urinals in the boys’ restroom | Fox News

Click here: Court affirms Mass. murderer’s right to get sex change in prison | Fox News

Click here: Jodie Foster comes out with emotional tribute to her girlfriend of 14 years | Mail Online

17 Responses to SHOULD THERE BE A “GAY” REALITY BACHELOR?

1. Just Me January 22, 2014 at 10:50 am #

Right on, Marshall.
    By the way, the term “homophobic” is a misnomer. That literally means that the person who is “homophobic” has a fear of homosexuals.
    People who believe homosexuality is a sin don’t “fear” homosexuals. They believe the homosexual lifestyle is a sin. They have a right to that
    belief – just as much right as homosexual supporters have to their belief. Neither side or perspective is the only way people must think and neither side is worthy of being labeled evil or homophobic. Regardless of which side one is on, they deserve the same respect as anyone else.
    What is important is how we treat one another, including those who have lifestyles or opinions we disagree with. Ridicule, a Saul Alinsky “Rules for Radicals” tactic has gotten out of hand and fosters and empowers hate and violence.

2. Steve Gure January 22, 2014 at 10:53 am #

I am sorry to say that this gay issue is completely out of control. It is being pushed down our throats in the name of “political correctness”, ad nauseum. It is a sad say when I* have to agree with President Vladimir Putin of Russia who says that gays will not be allowed to spread their propoganda at the Olympics. Otherwise, they will be welcome.

3. murray levine January 22, 2014 at 11:05 am #

They are born that way its not a choice.I also have gay friends who are entitled to the same rights enjoyed by the rest of us.let’s concentrate on Islamic terrorism not this bull crap

4. Lily January 22, 2014 at 11:08 am #

People are all equal under God and the constitution of the United States of America. When people start talking about the ‘Rights’ of this and that group, one is dissecting the very Rights as defined, since we are implying a separation of definition of humans based on preferences and tastes.The blah, blah, of the gay movement is nothing but a way of getting attention for political and personal gains. homosexuals have been part of humanity since the beginning of times, we see it historically documented from east to west. I am tired of this issue, soon we will see all sort of movement positioning different versions of ‘Rights’ from sexual conducts to dietary styles. Let’s get real, let’s stop decorating our little cabins and concentrate on saving the sinking ship America is turning into, due to lack of integrity, commitment and fortitude.

5. Commenter January 22, 2014 at 11:11 am #

I think the interviewers in the media ask questions like that to get the very response from the public that they are getting. Whether we like it or not, it’s an “issue” and people lay on both sides, or many, sides of the issue. There are those who like/love the gays (I think you refer to them as a “gay army”); there are those who don’t approve of them, don’t like them, think it’s a sin, or just don’t think they should have rights; and there are those who really just don’t give a shit one way or the other.

However, I think it’s becoming less of an issue as time goes on. So, until that time comes when it is just normal to everyone to encounter gay people in any arena, we will continue to get questions like the one posed to Juan Pablo that will provoke responses from the public.

While I’m not a part of and don’t outwardly support gay “propaganda” or the “gay army,” I see them as a necessary part of the now, to create a change for the future, a time when more and more people just don’t give a shit one way or the other whether someone is gay or not.

6. Chris January 22, 2014 at 11:15 am #

I think “Just Me” hit the nail on the head. There are two sides to the issue…the side that does believe the homosexual lifestyle is a sin, and the others who wish us all to accept it…well, not really, they want to cram it down our throats.

Little Andy Cuomo put ran his mouth that “anti-gay” people were no longer welcome in New York. What is anti-gay? Is anti-gay a label you get if you think it is a sinful lifestyle, or you think that traditional marriage should be between man and woman, and that if homosexuals wish to do something legal and binding, they should be able to have their own union, not called marriage?

I do not hate homosexuals. I do not shun them. My Christian beliefs REQUIRE me to pray for them, and welcome them into any place I worship. To me, homosexuality is no different than any other “sin”. No better, no worse. Since I care deeply about all people, and also (as Jesus commanded) love all people, how can I be “anti-gay?” The fact is that the Bible clearly tells us to hate the sin, but love the sinner. That has to be carried to Muslims even…their radical lifestyle is horrid, but they still need to be prayed for.

The age old debate arises of course, that you are born that way. Really? Sorry, but I know for a fact that is not entirely true. I have met men AND women, who had been actively involved exclusively in homosexual relationships. They changed. They became strait, if you will. They have married people of the opposite sex, and had families. (There is a huge number of “former gays” in this category, who remain very quiet, because they don’t wish to be ostracized or made fun of, or hated on by the wackos of the militant homosexual community.) How can someone be born that way, and change?

I don’t have the answers to this. I do know that there are no absolutes…something that the militant homosexual community has been touting for years now. Little Andy Cuomo is wrong to have said what he said, and shows that he is indeed a bigot. He has done this for political gain, in a state which is divided into NYC and the rest of the state, which has two entirely different philosophies.

Bottom line…who would watch such a reality show? The two or three percent of the public who are homosexuals? Plus if you do one for a male, you then need to do one for a female. Somehow, I just don’t think television viewers are ready for two dudes doing whatever it is they do with each other.

• Commenter January 22, 2014 at 1:25 pm #

Chris, there are way more than “two sides” to the issue. And really, there are more than just those who think it’s a sin and those who want to “cram it down [your] throat”… a lot of people really don’t give a —- one way or the other.

And, in response to who would watch such a show? MILLIONS would. Have you seen the horrible reality TV that gets 5 star ratings? There was a bi-sexual dating show years ago (can’t remember the name of it) where both men and women were competing for the same bi-sexual woman. People eat up that kind of show, regardless of gender or sexuality. No, it may not have the same wide viewing as the original Bachelor/Bachelorette, but it would be way more than 2-3 percent, or limited to gay people.

And if you’re not gay, how could you possibly know for a fact that people are not born that way? I can say that I know for a fact they are. If you were born naturally attracted to the opposite sex, would you like it if someone argued that you were not born that way? Well, I can tell you for a fact that it doesn’t matter whether you were or weren’t because you probably have made a choice about who the right partner for you is, or have chosen no partner at all. Regardless, it’s really no one’s business (and no one’s opinion should really matter) who you have chosen to pair up with.. whether man, woman, or yourself.

Further, only SOME Christians even believe that homosexuality is a sin. It’s not a sin any more than other antiquated “sins”. In practice, Christians don’t actually follow the “rules” of the Old Testament. You should know the bible isn’t meant to be taken literally. If Christians did, they would have no problem with polygamy, and things like tattoos, wearing mixed fabrics, eating pork, and seeding lawns with a variety of grasses would be forbidden. If Christians actually followed the dictates of the Old Testament, then today if the parents of a new bride could not, upon her husband’s request, prove that she was a virgin, that bride would have to be stoned to death. Christians would also have to stone to death any Christian guilty of adultery. And the Christian day of worship would be Saturday, not Sunday.

Stop saying your religion requires you to pray for the gays. You need to get with the times and stop taking things so literally.

• Chris January 22, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

Commenter:

I have to take issue with your statement -

your words-
        “And if you’re not gay, how could you possibly know for a fact that people are not born that way?”

I don’t have to be black, to know people are born that way, any more than I don’t need to be a woman to know people are born that way. Those folks cannot change any more than I can change and magically become black or a woman.

I wrote that I have met people who literally believed “you were born that way”, and changed. You conveniently do not address that FACT. There is NO scientific fact that shows people are born gay. That was promoted by the homosexual community, and has since been debunked. As to this being something new…please…don’t insult me. I know that this has been an issue since mankind appeared…and btw, we all know it goes back to the first writings of the Bible, and how old is that?

You also mistakenly say “my religion” requires me to do or not to do something. I am not of a “religion.” I am a Christian, and proud to say so. A religion is Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist…etc…and I do not identify myself with one of those labels. And whether or not you like it, I do not intend to stop praying for anyone. I do take literally those admonitions that Christ gives. You have the absolute right not to, and I will not chastise you for your beliefs. However, you need to get off your high horse, and stop telling me what I should or should not do.

your words:
        “Stop saying your religion requires you to pray for the gays. You need to get with the times and stop taking things so literally”.

You also are quick to point to the old testament. The Bible is a chronological book…going from the ways practiced in the old testament, to those in the New testament. The New testament has dozens references to homosexuality being an abomination, but Christ repeatedly says to love one another…that the ultimate judgment is God’s. If a person professes to be a Christian, and then says homosexuality is not a sin, I would dearly like to know how they came up with that conclusion. If they can show me where I have gone wrong, I will be happy to change my beliefs. Again, Christianity is based on the New Testament, not the old. The new supersedes the old, and the new is how Christianity came about. For you to go back and imply we have to follow the rules of the old, is an argument that holds no water…we are not under law, we are under Grace.

Finally, where do we draw the line on who should pair up with who? If anything goes, we have erased all the lines. Anarchy follows, I fear.

7. Donald January 22, 2014 at 11:20 am #

We have become to quick to pigeon hold people with PC labels. If you believe homosexual acts are a sin you are homophobic, even though a cursory look at the human anatomy will reveal that sodomy was not the designed intent; if you don’t support women in everything they want to do you are misogynistic, if you criticize President Obama for anything, you are a racist, if you don’t believe in abortion you are out to destroy a woman’s right to control her own body, although pro-choice folks never speak about rights for the baby.

The man was asked a loaded question and responded with his own personal opinion. He has a right to hold and express that opinion. The idea that no one can say anything that might offend someone else is nonsense. You have a right to express yourself, even if you hold a stupid and unfounded opinion. Freedom of speech does not mean only freedom of politically correct speech!

8. Jerry January 22, 2014 at 11:24 am #

You pretty much summed up my feelings on this Marshall. Thanks for putting into words what I couldn’t.. or at least didn’t try. We too have family members and very close dear friends who made their sexual preference known many years ago before it was “chick” to be gay and before our news media and politicians turned this issue into a circus. And both they and we are happy with what we all respectively have and are accepting of each other on a family level…

9. Kathleen January 22, 2014 at 11:47 am #

So well put Marshall better than I could have done. As always I look forward to you columns and articles.

10. Tom Ault January 22, 2014 at 1:16 pm #

Our society, in general, has become ridiculous. We have race issues, we have homosexual issues, we have the problem with anything we say might hurt someone’s feeling, and the situation goes on and on and where it is going to stop is beyond my ability to reckon.

I grew up, as you did, in a world where we could tell a joke without offending anyone, where we could associate with all races on a pretty equal level without offending them.

Today you are afraid to go anywhere if you have to speak, or rub shoulders with anyone different for fear, with the new mindset, that you could hurt someone who will draw a weapon and attack you….a very sick world. And unfortunately, our legal system and our government are not helping any more than the media is.

As always Marshall, you are right on…..keep up the good work.

• Commenter January 22, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

While I agree with almost everything you said, I would have to disagree about the legal system and government not helping. The legal system is currently doing everything it can to help people stand on a more equal ground. Just like the civil rights movement, it takes time, but it doesn’t mean there aren’t strides being made to make forward progress.

11. David Lee Valdina January 22, 2014 at 2:15 pm #

Woody Allen Quotes

“I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

“In my next life I want to live my life backwards. You start out dead and get that out of the way. Then you wake up in an old people’s home feeling better every day. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, and then when you start work, you get a gold watch and a party on your first day. You work for 40 years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement. You party, drink alcohol, and are generally promiscuous, then you are ready for high school. You then go to primary school, you become a kid, you play. You have no responsibilities, you become a baby until you are born. And then you spend your last 9 months floating in luxurious spa-like conditions with central heating and room service on tap, larger quarters every day and then Voila! You finish off as an orgasm!”

“The difference between sex and love is that sex relieves tension and love causes it.”

“Is sex dirty? Only when it’s being done right.”

12. Ashley January 22, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

I have to make what some will think is an insignificant distinction but absolutely isn’t: the issues of prisoners wanting sex changes and girls & boys being allowed to enter each other’s bathrooms has nothing to do with homosexuality. I know “LGBT” lumps everyone in the same group, but gays and lesbians are not the same as transexuals. The gay community often welcomes “transgendered” people because they face similar struggles, but they are not the same thing. I like women and have never had any desire to be a man. Similarly, I would never want to be with a woman who wanted to be male. I also want to be able to use a bathroom and locker room knowing a man isn’t going to walk in. Likewise, gay men, despite perhaps liking art and fashion, are still men who have no desire to mutilate their genitals, get breast implants, and claim to be “women”. Gay men can drink beer and watch football with the best of them. Some gay women and men may dress differently than their heterosexual counterparts, but if they are gay, they are happy to be a male or female attracted to other males or females, respectively. I don’t want any harm to come to people who identify as transgendered, but I don’t want to be placed in the same group as they are.

13. Larry Epstein January 24, 2014 at 3:49 pm #

Each of us shouldn’t take him(her)self so seriously. Early in the last century, George Bernard Shaw was friendly with an actress who liked to cross dress, smoke little cigars, and do the nasty with other women. Somehow, Shaw (maybe yes, maybe no, every memory is apocryphal if you live long enough) got himself involved in a conversation with her (Mrs. Patrick Campbell, I seem to recall) about what was right and what was wrong. Shaw, who wrote the basis for “My Fair Lady”, “Pygmalion”, the straight play (no pun intended), ended his advice to her by saying, “Do whatever you want, just don’t do it in the street and frighten the horses.”

Why not do whatever you want, let everyone else do what he/she wants (adults only, of course), and stop belaboring the rest of us with your religious pieties.

14. Jerry January 24, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

Nice Larry, you have a way with words… BUT isn’t what you’re suggesting call Anarchy? And with Anarchy can any modern society survive?