THE U.S. CENSUS CHANGES: NOT ALL BLACK AND WHITE

Some folks will probably call me a racist. C’est la vie.

The Census Bureau has announced that black Americans will no longer be officially identified as “Negro,” in the Race category, thereby leaving the new official term to either “Black” or African-American.”

Click here: US stopping use of term ‘Negro’ for census surveys – Yahoo! News

Seems to me, if we call Caucasian people “white,” what’s the problem in calling Negro people “Black?” They both identify by color. They are not offensive terms.

Yet, the official title is destined to become “African American” the politically correct terminology of the modern era. But it is a total misnomer.

I have friends who are African-American. Some are black, some are white. So, why does an African-American always have to denote a race? Fact is, it is not a race, the term is associated with a continent. North Africa is highly populated with Arabs, Moroccans, Algerians, Tunisians, Libyans and Egyptians, none of whom generally identify as black. South Africa has millions of white citizens who are native to the country. Therefore, it seems to me that “African-American” – a term requiring seven syllables – should be scrapped for the simple counterpart to White: Black.

I recall this identity issue going on from my early days as a police officer in the 1960s when all black people were officially called “colored.” Then came the 1970s and 1980s which changed to “Negro.” From there, the new century approached and the politically correct term evolved into the totally incorrect term, “African-American” as though it brought some higher degree of respect with the race.

We don’t call Italians, Brits and Germans, “European Americans.” We don’t call people from Brazil or Equador, “South American Americans.” Geez.

I like Black. I like White. There are millions of beautiful black people and white people, and all other races for that matter.

Hispanic is not a race, because any race can be Hispanic, so why designate that as a race? There is Native American, which is PC for “Indian.” And, of course, “Asian” is now designated for people of Oriental heritage, though that is also a continent, not a race.

In the last two decades we’ve seen a surge of interracial marriage and millions born as mixed-face children. Why do we call them “African-American” as opposed to “White?” Better yet, why are these people not categorized “Mixed Race” or the absolute correct term, Mulatto?” Look it up in the dictionary: “The offspring of one white parent and one black parent.” That sums it up. But, it’s sure to offend someone, in some racial category, so let’s leave that one alone.

There’s the old saying that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all the people all of the time, so why don’t we just get over it?

That’s as black and white as I can put it.

18 Responses to THE U.S. CENSUS CHANGES: NOT ALL BLACK AND WHITE

1. Renay February 27, 2013 at 12:19 am #

well, they don’t say “English American”, or “Irish American” or “Russian American”
    or “Italian American” well, you get it!

2. Donald February 27, 2013 at 1:31 am #

Interesting you should post this blog today. It is serendipitous. Here is a letter to the editor I sent to Florida Today last week:

Dear Editor,

Why do you insist on using the term African/American as though it is synonymous with black or Negro? That term has nothing to do with race. It is a reference to national ancestry, comparable to Irish/American, Italian/American or Asian/American. In truth, African/Americans can be black or white.

If Ernie Els, Gary Player, Retief Goosen, and Rory Sabbatinil, each white professional golfers from South Africa, became American citizens they too would be African/Americans.

It is intellectually dishonest to refer to blacks as African/American, as though that was a racial reference. They may be African/American, but they are black African/Americans. We also have many white African/Americans.

The truth is there are only three anthropological references to race: Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid, although there are any number of ways to refer to bi-racial peoples, e.g., Mulatto (a combination of black and white), Polynesian, West Indian, etc.
    President Obama is often referred to as the “first black President;” however, the New York Daily News recently quoted Oscar winning actor Morgan Freeman as saying: “America’s first black president hasn’t arisen yet. He’s not America’s first black president — he’s America’s first mixed-race president.” Morgan Freeman was right.

On the other hand, President Obama may legitimately be called the first mixed-race African/American President.

3. Les February 27, 2013 at 2:18 am #

Why do we need to categorize by race? Either we are American or we are from somewhere else. I am tired of giving preferential treatment to “minorities” who are no longer minorities. The civil rights movement of the 60s was 50 years ago. It’s time we moved on to become a cohesive American population. Anyone who doesn’t want to assimilate is free to go back where he/she came from. period.

4. Rico February 27, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Political correctness has continued to raise it’s putrid head and encompasses every facet of life even anthroptometry! What happened to caucasoid, negroid, mongoloid and austroloid?

5. Swifty February 27, 2013 at 3:36 am #

Reminds me of the zebra that asked God if he was black or white.

6. Snake Hunter February 27, 2013 at 5:34 am #

I WANT A PERMANENT I.D TAG ON THE FOREHEAD OF THOSE S.O.B.’s THAT HIGH-JACKED AND FLEW THOSE COMMERCIAL JETS INTO BUILDINGS ON 9/11/2011 – – -YEAH… ALL THOSE EVIL BASTARDS THAT WANT TO DOMINATE ALL NATIONS… WITH A DEATH CULT… FOR THE LAST 1,400 YEARS… yEAH… THE SAME PEOPLE THAT STONE THEIR YOUNG WOMEN…AND ALLOW PARENTS TO KILL THEIR DAUGHTERS FOR AN ALLEGED SEX-SINNING CRIME, WITHOUT PROOF… WITHOUT ANY LEGAL PUNISHMENT FOR THE MURDERER ~~~ SKIN COLOR MEANS NOTHING TO ME.

PLUS — i WANT THE SAUDI ROYALS TO SHUT DOWN THEIR 2,000 MOSQUES HERE, TAKE HOME THEIR SMOOTH-TALKING BI-LINGUAL, “MODERATE” IMAMS THAT TEACH
    OUR INFIDEL DUMMIES HOW TO BUILD BRIDGES TO UNDERSTANDING WITH ISLAM.

LET THEM SACK UP AND PEDDLE THAT CAMEL DUNG AT HOME!

REB
    ___ ___

7. Ed Hensley February 27, 2013 at 6:23 am #

Oh my! What’s the United Negro College Fund to do now?
    Or the NAACP for that matter? Really! The NAAAA, sounds like a double tap
    of Alcoholics Anonymous. And, while the PC term is African-American, I think
    the Black Congressional Cacus will stick with Black. Like, the AA Congressional
    Congress would admit those dudes & dudettes need a 12 step program.

8. Jhs February 27, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

The only term for a black is a black American. I believe it was Jesse Jackson that started using the term black Africian guess he thought it sounded better or maybe more appropriate. It just is not correct.

9. Steve Gure February 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

Political correctness run amok. Completely lacking common sense. If you notice lately, when the newspapers are asking the publics help in identifying people who commit crimes, they describe the perpetrator by age height and weight but avoid saying whether he was black or white. What is the purpose for that?

10. Patti February 27, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

I get a kick out of people getting bent out of shape when someone is pointing out a person who is black in a crowd & says ‘that black man over there by the counter’, etc. They say it’s racist but I say that’s baloney…he’s a black man & that’s how he’s identified. No different if there’s a room full of black men and someone needs to point out one of the few white people in a crowd. Tired of all the whining over the PC crap.

11. Nick Sorak February 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

I have a friend from South Africa. He is white and he calls himself Afroamerican. He keeps telling black Americans you are not Afroamerican; you are American Afros. I think he is ridght.

12. Snake Hunter February 27, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

See that red-headed fellow… sitting with the blonde lady?

If you can’t see them, you must be a Racist-American…

Or, maybe an American-Racist. — Hey, Cut the Crappola!

reb
    ___ ___

13. Helen Bennett February 27, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

What’s wrong with calling them brown people? That’s their REAL color.

14. Snake Hunter February 27, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Nice Try Helen…

However, there are also many shades of brown, for many Americans i.e. native american, hindu-american, cuban american, latino-american, south american, etc – reb
    ___ ___

15. George Saufley February 28, 2013 at 2:11 am #

Amazing! I had two black supervisors if you called them “African American” they were offended and said that you needed to call them “Black” if you called them “Black” they said that they were offended and wanted to be called “African American” and so on and so on. most people forget hurtful things. We get so caught up in political passion that we can’t tell a brain concussion and a seizure from a public organism. I have a folder in my unconscious mind where I file all of this amusing stuff- it is called Zimbardo, Milgram, Lifton, and Taylor and that’s where all the amusing cultural junk gets filed.

16. paul vincent zecchino February 28, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

Marshall and fellow friends –

Why they always make it so complicated? It’s like pulling teeth tryin’, keep up this stuff, isn’t it?

Growing up, Providence, RI, the FabFifties/Sixties, our neighbors of Armenian descent were Americans who were of Armenian descent or heritage, and so it went with the rest. Uncle Joe and Aunt Anna were Americans of Italian ancestry. But all were Americans. This was so simple, even as a then little ankle-biter at the time, I could figure it out.

When visiting dear friends, the Bahamas, Aunt Maria was a Bahamian whose family fled Cuba, while Uncle Foti was a Bahamian of Greek ancestry – both were as well UK subjects during that glorious pre-Pindling/druggie/MOB/commie era in the Bahamas but there I go mincing words again – who’d fled the 1915 Genocide in Asia Minor. Both were Bahamians who were subjects of the UK, who were Bahamians. Simple. Any kid could figure it out, and not even the craftiest of grudge lawyers could make something out of it.

When we visited the Bahamas Art Museum a few years ago at the Doyle Mansion overlooking New Providence Harbor, the docent, a black Bahamian, noted that Mr. Doyle, the first Justice of the Bahamas, had immigrated from Ireland. The moment he arrived in Nassau, he was considered to be a Bahamian, as were all who resided in the Bahamas, black, white, blue, even the paisley Bahamians all considered Bahamians. It’s so simple.

Hadn’t previously counted the syllables in African-American, thanks for so doing. The phrase has always bothered me. It’s a mouthful and sounds awkward, doesn’t it?

Recall during the late 60s unrest, suddenly Negroes who’d previously been called colored people – Captain Beefheart inarguably said ‘everybody’s colored or else you couldn’t see them’ – suddenly became Blacks. Then a while later they became Afro-Americans. Who could keep up with this stuff? No wonder there’s so much confusion out there.

From the moment my family and I heard this One speak a few syllables, sight unseen, several years ago, it was obvious he was trying to incite a race/klass war.

Well, if that’s what the commies want, so be it. But no one we know, black, blue, chartreuse, checked, plaid, wants a thing to do with it nor is anyone of a mind to revisit the dark daze of the late 60s/70s.

Keeping it simple keeps things so simple. American. Of a certain heritage/origin/ancestry, but American. Says so, my passport.

17. Snake Hunter March 1, 2013 at 5:07 am #

No Matter The Color….We’re All In The RED At The USA National Debt Clock, Real Time at 11:45 P.M. Eastern

Right NOW — > $16,613,000,000,000.00 (and counting) ~ hEY, That’s an increase of almost One Hundred Fourteen Billion, Seven Hundred Eighty Million… In 28 DAYS!!! – reb
    ___ ___

18. ROBERT L. ELLIOTT March 4, 2013 at 12:53 am #

WELL, WHAT DO YOU KNOW? THIS SAME PROBLEM CAME UP WHEN I WAS RIDING MOTORS FOR THE DEPARTMENT AND I STOPPED A NEGRO FEMALE, MAXINE THURSTON, WHO WAS DRIVING A CAR AND WAS FOLLOWING ME AT A DISTANCE OF APPROXIMATELY 4 OR 5 FEET NORTH ON N.W. 7TH AVENUE IN MIAMI. I STOPPED HER AND ASKED HER FOR HER LICENSE WHICH SHE OBJECTED TO IN A VERY CONFRONTATIONAL MANNER. SHE TOLD ME THAT I STOPPED HER ONLY BECAUSE SHE WAS A NEGRO AND FOR NO OTHER REASON. WHEN I FILLED OUT THE TICKET IN THE SPACE ALLOCATED FOR A PERSON’S RACE AND SEX I PUT B/F.. SHE WENT STRAIGHT TO THE DEPARTMENT AND THE NEXT THING I KNEW MAJOR ALSBURY HAD ME IN HIS OFFICE TO EXPLAIN ” WHY” I PUT B/F ON HER TICKET AND SHE WAS VERY UPSET ABOUT IT. I EXPLAINED TO THE MAJOR THAT THE “B’ STOOD FOR BLACK AND THE “W” THAT I ENTER ON WHITE PEOPLE’S TICKETS STOOD FOR WHITE. THE MAJOR TOLD ME THAT IN THE FUTURE I WILL USE THE LETTER “N” FOR COLORED PEOPLE AND THAT WAS FINAL IF I STILL WANTED TO RIDE MOTORS. I TOLD HIM THAT SOMEONE WILL PROBABLY COME INTO THE OFFICE NEXT TIME AND COMPLAIN THAT THE LETTER “N” INDICATES THAT THEY ARE A NIGGER AND THEN I’LL REALLY BE IN DEEP SHIT.
    I WAS 20 YEARS AGO OF THE IDEA TO REFER TO NEGROES AS BLACK AND GOT MY ASS CHEWED OUT ABOUT IT. WHILE ON MOTORS I WROTE ALL THE TICKETS IN 372 TICKET BOOKS AND NEVER HAD ONE WHITE PERSON COMPLAIN ABOUT ME CALLING THEM WHITE. WHAT THE HELL IS THE WORLD COMING TO???