VETTING MITT ROMNEY

Unfortunately, politics has become dirtier through the years. The minute someone becomes a serious candidate for president, the opposing party rabidly seeks out anything and everything that might be conceived as ugly or negative about that candidate, regardless of how much good, or much success that person has produced.

We can certainly expect that in this election campaign. However, while we have been studying Obama’s history for four years, (what’s been made available), we have not seriously examined the background of the now-obvious nominee for the Republican Party. Mitt Romney deserves vetting as much as anyone this close to becoming a president. We all know about his successful business records, but here’s a few interesting things some of us did not know:

1) Worked as an unpaid intern in the Michigan governor’s office for eight years.

2) While at Stanford for one year, he worked as a night security guard to earn money to go home and see Ann Davies, his future wife.

3) After his missionary travels, resumed school at BYU where he earned a degree in English and graduated valedictorian in 1971.

4) Jointly, earned a Juris Doctorate in law and a Master of Business Administration from Harvard as a Baker Scholar. (All his college records have been made available for scrutiny)

5) Mormon Missionary for 30 months in France. Survived a serious traffic accident in which one of the vehicle occupants was killed. Romney suffered a fractured arm, broken ribs and a concussion. Thought dead at first, he had to be pried from the car.

6) Worked as an unpaid bishop and state president of his church for ten years

7) Took no salary as president of the Salt Lake Olympics for three years

8) Accepted no salary as Massachusetts governor for four years

9) Gave his entire inheritance to charities.

10) His father was CEO of American Motors before becoming Governor of Michigan

11) Ann Romney, his wife, was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1998, in remission since 2002. She also had a cancerous lump removed from her breast in 2008.

12) As governor, Romney vetoed eight provisions in the Massachusetts health care law, including one requiring dental insurance. The Democratic state congress overrode all eight vetoes.

13) Romney has been bestowed five different honorary doctorate degrees by colleges and universities in various parts of the country.

14) One study of 68 deals that Bain Capital made during Romney’s time there found that the firm lost money or broke even on 33 of them.Another study that looked at the eight-year period following 77 deals during Romney’s time found that in 17 cases the company went bankrupt or out of business, and in 6 cases Bain Capital lost all its investment. But 10 deals were very successful and represented 70 percent of the total profits.

15) In July 1996, when a fellow executive at Romney’s company Bain Capital, 14 year-old daughter went missing in NYC, he shut down the company and took a team of 30 to NYC to find her. Remarkably, Romney personally conducted much of the investigation, taking to the streets of New York, interviewing prostitutes, drug addicts, etc., until the wee hours of the morning. (For more information on this, click on the link below from Newsmax.)

16) As a venture-capitalist, Romney’s first major business deal involved investing in a start-up office supply company with one store in Massachusetts that sold office supplies. That company, called Staples, now has over 2,000 stores and employs over 90,000 people.

17) Among his favorite entertainers; Roy Orbison, The Beatles, Clint Black and Garth Brooks.

18) Speaks fluent French (with an American accent)

19) There is no one I could find in Romney’s personal or professional history whose loyalty to the United States and/or support for the market driven capitalist system of government would be in question.

If some folks accuse this article of being positive for Romney, they are correct. We have all seen the debates and listened to the political pundits, we know Mitt Romney’s business history and much of his personal life. If people go digging hard enough, they can find something negative about anyone. My intent here, was to point out those interesting tidbits of trivia that many people didn’t know.

Those who have followed these blogs know that — in my humble opinion – the most critical issue facing America this election is to eliminate Obama and his sinister entourage from the seat of this government, and not to give them an additional full four years without being accountable to the American people. While Mitt Romney was not my personal favorite among the republican slate, I will fully support his election and impart as much positive information as possible, so long as it is true and factual. From everything I have studied, Mitt Romney is a fine human being, a gentleman, a scholar, a devoted family man, and unquestionably American.

Mitt Romney speaks French – YouTube

There is a detailed biography of Romney at Wikipedia.com if anyone wants to probe further.

Mitt Romney – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

26 Responses to VETTING MITT ROMNEY

1. Solette N. Gelberg May 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Mitt Romney is what my Grandmother would have called
    a real “mensch” and I agree

Thank you for an interesting article.

If I lived in the USA I would have no trouble voting for Romney
    and with a lot of family in the USA, we pray daily that President
    Obama is in his last term.

Sincerely

Solette

• enubus May 27, 2012 at 1:39 am #

Here! Here!

2. Donald May 26, 2012 at 12:10 am #

I wish your data could appear in newspapers all over the country. I have been a supporter of Mitt Romney from the beginning. Although many Evangelical Christians will have a difficult time voting for him, I am one Christ Follower who will have no problem casting my vote for this Mormon. He is the only person who ever made the Olympics profitable and took no pay for doing so. What he did personally to save the daughter of one of his employees speaks volumes about the man. He also has a wonderful wife who is one of his strongest, most vocal supporters.

3. Les May 26, 2012 at 12:18 am #

I wasn’t originally for Mitt Romney, because I thought Newt Gingrich had a better grasp on the Middle East. However, from what you have written, I would be proud to call Mitt Mr. President. Better than what we have now for sure.

• Ed Hensley May 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Dittos Less, – I too was strongly for Newt, while I had been
      for Mitt in the 2008 Primary. However, the more I learn about Mitt,
      the more I like. You see I fell for the line that Romney Care is Obama
      Care Light and to be honest, it largely is. But, no one told me until
      Marshall, in this blog, that Romney had vetoed 12 provisions of the
      MA Health Care Reform Law and was over ridden on all 12, by the
      Democrat controlled MA Legislature. This makes it a stretch, to still
      label the MA Healthcare Law as “Romney Care.” Now this, from a
      LDS Friend of mine, who I sent the link to this blog to:

thanks Ed!
      I should add one more. We home school our kids with several other families. The mother of one of the parents our group lived in an apartment in the basement of Mitt Romney’s parent’s home. She said they were the nicest people in the world. She also went to Mitt and Anne Romney’s wedding and reception. <

Mitt and Anne sound like real people to me!

4. Yoda May 26, 2012 at 1:12 am #

Cool Romney bio good Captain:

LDS (Mormon) faithful get a bad rap. There are many wierd spin-offs using the Mormon name which contribute to giving the authentic LDS a bad name.

I have personally worked closely with several Mormon federal agents. They are superb in values and character. One is the icon of crisis management ( hostage/barricade negotiation ) in his entire agency.

With your permission I will plagerize some of your line item points for the Magnified View.

Right on good captain. WRITE ON!

Happy Memorial Day. Best to the best Yoda

P.S.: Copying one person is plagerism. Copying a lot of people is research. I do a lot of research.

5. George Saufley May 26, 2012 at 1:13 am #

One does not know what to believe. National local and office all do the came thing distort the facts. Five years before I retired I noticed that I was treated differently not respected and treated much like political opponents treat each other. Caused me to read a lot of political science books, Kathleen Taylors, Philip Zimbardo’s, Stanley Milgram’s and Robert Lifton’s research Well photos-shopped skin, iconic, royalty, deity all the way to gossip,taking out of context can be used as described in Robert Lifton’s Totalist Mentalities. We need to bet back to social basics before we drive ourselves crazy. I will sort through this mess and vote. I will not vote for anyone that exploits anyone’s insecurities or paranoia.

6. millicent gust afson May 26, 2012 at 1:14 am #

He also took his dog along on a family vacation, but the poor creature was put on the roof of the car. so much for compassion.
    How about the company he took over in the Carolinas, laid off the employees, sent the work to China.. So compassionate and true American.. NOT

7. Your awesome grandson May 26, 2012 at 1:38 am #

RON PAUL R3VOLUTION!!!

8. Dick Calvert May 26, 2012 at 2:26 am #

Another good job of research Marshall. Leave no stone unturned as you did in your investigative career. I am proud of workong with you from the start on Bill Butler’s squad through investigatve endeavors. I am going to forward this to many friends and associates if I can. You may be hearing from some of them who share your and my views.

9. Theresa May 26, 2012 at 2:38 am #

I’m glad you are delving because I thought the same thing. We need to find some honorable things about him to talk up to people instead of trying to intercept all the mud slinging.

10. Charlie Greene May 26, 2012 at 2:41 am #

Marshall
    I have been a life long Democrat average lunch pail carrying time card puncher. However this dolt in the white house has soured me and I would vote for anybody who is running against him. Well, maybe not Palin.
    Charlie Greene

• Hope May 26, 2012 at 3:24 am #

Chauvinist !!!! Palin is a smart lady!!!

• Anonymous May 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

I still don’t understand negative comments about Palin. She has more intelligence in a 1/4 of her brain than OBama and she loves this country. It has to be because she is a woman. I will quote what a friend of mine said and I totally agree. ‘I am Sarah Palin.’ She represents all that I do and that I am. I am intelligent and love my country, the Constitution and our values. So, I find it insulting and a tad bit ignorant when I hear Palin comments that are usually unfounded especially if you weigh it against OBama who has proven he is unqualified in his service, disgraced most of us and is not even a real American in his birth or in his heart.

11. Eileen May 26, 2012 at 2:47 am #

I think Romney could have made McCain’s campaign a lot more difficult 4 years ago if he (Romney) had decided to run on an Independent ticket. But he was loyal to his Party, and he appears to have always been a very hard worker. He deserves the nomination, and he certainly has a better work ethic background than the Democratic incumbent.

12. gloria disanto May 26, 2012 at 3:37 am #

THANKYOU MARSHALL, I WILL BE SENDING YOUR COMMENTS TO A FEW
    DOPES I KNOW WHO REALLY DON;T GET IT.
    SOMETHING INTERESTING TO SHARE WITH YOU, OUR FAMILY PIZZERIA
    IS INKIRTLAND, OHIO WHERE THE SECOND LARGEST MORMON CHURCH AND HISTORIC SITES ARE. MANY OF THE MORMONS ARE OUR CUSTOMERS.
    THEY ARE WONDERFUL PEOPLE WITH DELIGHTFUL CHILDREN.
    I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THEM. I WISH MORE PEOPLE COULD
    BE EXPOSED I THINK THEY WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED. I HEARD THAT
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A POOR MORMAN, IS THAT TRUE? ALSO
    NARY A MORMON ON FOOD STAMPS EITHER. MORMONS TAKE CARE
    OF THIER OWN.

13. Ed Hensley May 26, 2012 at 5:42 am #

Well done Vette Blog Marshall,
    Most interesting to me, is item 12, in your through vetting of Mitt, to wit;

This is the first time I had heard this. I also was unaware Romney spoke fluet
    French or that he had a law degree, as well as an MBA. Add to his qualifications
    for POTUS, his remarkable persistence in pursuit thereof. I hope he makes it.

14. white collar crime kills May 26, 2012 at 9:54 am #

mitt will be only more repug than obama has been, so voting for mitt doesn’t make sense.
    btw, everyone knows “there ain’t no such thing as a free market”

15. Irma Jacobs Tirro Author of The Lonely Snowflake and It's Almost Friday May 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

This is information everyone should know. I’m sure there are those who don’t want others to know it.

16. bob james May 26, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

Marshall has nailed it. Mitt Romney is a very decent human being who has accomplished great things because he is a great man. Just look at his curriculum vitae Marshall has kindly provided. It tells the story of a man of enormous talent, intellect and love for his family and his country. I would hire this man in a heartbeat.

I will be proud and confident to have him in charge of America as our President. I would be proud to have him as my next door neighbor. I would be thrilled to have him as an in-law if one of his children or grandchildren married into my family. I would love to have him and his family over for dinner. I would not hesitate to invest my hard earned money into any project Mitt Romney was in charge of. I would trust him with anything I possess and/or cherish; my home, my family, my faithful German Shepherd dog, my good name, anything. Mitt Romney is truly a man for all seasons.

I would not, could not ever say any of the above about Barack Hussein Obama.

17. ROBERT L. ELLIOTT May 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

I CAN ALWAYS DEPEND ON YOU KNOWING WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT, MARSHALL. IT GALLS ME WHEN I SEE SOMEONE MAKING A NEGATIVE REMARK ABOUT SARAH PALIN AND IT’S SO OBVIOUS THAT THE PERSON HASN’T TAKEN THE TIME OR MADE AN EFFORT TO READ ABOUT HER LIFE AND WHAT SHE STANDS FOR. TOO MANY MEN ARE AGAINST HER BECAUSE SHE’S A WOMAN AND TOO MANY WOMEN ARE AGAINST HER BECAUSE SHE’S SMART AS HELL AND GOOD LOOKING. I JUST HOPE ROMNEY PICKS ALLAN WEST AS HIS VP AND WHEN HE WINS, PUT PALIN AND BOLTON IN HIS CABINET. RUN WITH ALLAN WEST AND THE TICKET WILL CRUSH OBAMA AND WHAT’S HIS NAME.

18. Bill May 27, 2012 at 1:16 am #

I am hoping that the American people who care about freedom and
    the rule of law will elect Mitt Romney this Nov. There is a lot at stake
    in this election. If Obama is given 4 more years to persue his Marxist
    agenda we may be in so deep we wont be able to recover.

19. Hank Harris May 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

I feel there is a decent chance that Romney will defeat Obama in November; after all, George W. was REelected after becoming a war criminal. Tells you a lot about the right wing in this country that you can kill over 100,000 souls and cause a million to flee their homes but, hey, they are not Amerrcans. They don’t count as good-ole right-wing bible-thumpers do, the guys who know what god is thinking. If we could survive Bush we can survive Romney.

20. Patti May 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

@Robert Elliott – agree 100%…and crush Obama we must! And @ Hank…we DO know what God thinks since he’s told us over and over in scripture.

21. Patti May 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Oh, and Marshall, thanks for this great article. And GW a war criminal?? Good grief, what a bunch of nonsense. Of course he made mistakes & did some things I disagreed with, so? What president hasn’t? You can leave Obama out of that question as he’s a president in a league of his own…nothing but an evil, self-absorbed, narcissist. And any who demonize GW are just plain UNGRATEFUL Americans.

22. reality June 3, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

Patti, over 3000 Americans are dead, because President Bush sent them into Iraq. Over 13,000 will suffer from their terrible wounds all of their lives. You haven’t seen the video of President Bush, in a tuxedo, joking about looking for WMD? 100,000 dead Iraqis mean nothing to you? Even more Iraqis were wounded, and/or displaced, by Bush’s bombings. I wonder what Bush’s “Father in Heaven” will say to him? “Thou shalt not kill” is one of the 10 Commandments. How does any believer in the Bible approve of Bush lying, to send our troops to kill other human beings, halfway around the world, who have done us no harm?