Unfortunately, politics has become dirtier through the years. The minute someone becomes a serious candidate for president, the opposing party rabidly seeks out anything and everything that might be conceived as ugly or negative about that candidate, regardless of how much good, or much success that person has produced.
We can certainly expect that in this election campaign. However, while we have been studying Obama’s history for four years, (what’s been made available), we have not seriously examined the background of the now-obvious nominee for the Republican Party. Mitt Romney deserves vetting as much as anyone this close to becoming a president. We all know about his successful business records, but here’s a few interesting things some of us did not know:
1) Worked as an unpaid intern in the Michigan governor’s office for eight years.
2) While at Stanford for one year, he worked as a night security guard to earn money to go home and see Ann Davies, his future wife.
3) After his missionary travels, resumed school at BYU where he earned a degree in English and graduated valedictorian in 1971.
4) Jointly, earned a Juris Doctorate in law and a Master of Business Administration from Harvard as a Baker Scholar. (All his college records have been made available for scrutiny)
5) Mormon Missionary for 30 months in France. Survived a serious traffic accident in which one of the vehicle occupants was killed. Romney suffered a fractured arm, broken ribs and a concussion. Thought dead at first, he had to be pried from the car.
6) Worked as an unpaid bishop and state president of his church for ten years
7) Took no salary as president of the Salt Lake Olympics for three years
8) Accepted no salary as Massachusetts governor for four years
9) Gave his entire inheritance to charities.
10) His father was CEO of American Motors before becoming Governor of Michigan
11) Ann Romney, his wife, was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1998, in remission since 2002. She also had a cancerous lump removed from her breast in 2008.
12) As governor, Romney vetoed eight provisions in the Massachusetts health care law, including one requiring dental insurance. The Democratic state congress overrode all eight vetoes.
13) Romney has been bestowed five different honorary doctorate degrees by colleges and universities in various parts of the country.
14) One study of 68 deals that Bain Capital made during Romney’s time there found that the firm lost money or broke even on 33 of them.Another study that looked at the eight-year period following 77 deals during Romney’s time found that in 17 cases the company went bankrupt or out of business, and in 6 cases Bain Capital lost all its investment. But 10 deals were very successful and represented 70 percent of the total profits.
15) In July 1996, when a fellow executive at Romney’s company Bain Capital, 14 year-old daughter went missing in NYC, he shut down the company and took a team of 30 to NYC to find her. Remarkably, Romney personally conducted much of the investigation, taking to the streets of New York, interviewing prostitutes, drug addicts, etc., until the wee hours of the morning. (For more information on this, click on the link below from Newsmax.)
16) As a venture-capitalist, Romney’s first major business deal involved investing in a start-up office supply company with one store in Massachusetts that sold office supplies. That company, called Staples, now has over 2,000 stores and employs over 90,000 people.
17) Among his favorite entertainers; Roy Orbison, The Beatles, Clint Black and Garth Brooks.
18) Speaks fluent French (with an American accent)
19) There is no one I could find in Romney’s personal or professional history whose loyalty to the United States and/or support for the market driven capitalist system of government would be in question.
If some folks accuse this article of being positive for Romney, they are correct. We have all seen the debates and listened to the political pundits, we know Mitt Romney’s business history and much of his personal life. If people go digging hard enough, they can find something negative about anyone. My intent here, was to point out those interesting tidbits of trivia that many people didn’t know.
Those who have followed these blogs know that — in my humble opinion – the most critical issue facing America this election is to eliminate Obama and his sinister entourage from the seat of this government, and not to give them an additional full four years without being accountable to the American people. While Mitt Romney was not my personal favorite among the republican slate, I will fully support his election and impart as much positive information as possible, so long as it is true and factual. From everything I have studied, Mitt Romney is a fine human being, a gentleman, a scholar, a devoted family man, and unquestionably American.
Mitt Romney speaks French – YouTube
There is a detailed biography of Romney at Wikipedia.com if anyone wants to probe further.