EGYPT UPRISING WILL HAVE GLOBAL CONSEQUENCES

Americans should be paying close attention to the happenings in Egypt. Don’t think for one minute, this is not going to affect you and me, one way or another. Much like other riots we have known about, there are often other motivations behind insurgencies than what is reported to the press. By all accounts, the situation in Egypt is not some spontaneous uprising, and not just about jobs and economy. It’s about government takeover.

The greatest threat, is the Muslim Brotherhood, because they have the most to gain. And once they root into a major power, things will change around the world.

I’ve written often about the Brotherhood. They were formed in Egypt in 1928, following the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, for the expressed purpose of engineering and carrying out the plan to establish Islam throughout the world, as a duty to Allah. The Brotherhood was responsible for the assassination of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in 1981 for daring to enter into a treaty with Israel and the U.S. They are the mega-global Islamic organization that has been pulling the strings – the puppeteer if you will — for the advancement of international Jihad, violent and non-violent, particularly in the western hemisphere. They are the authors of the document “The Project” which spells out the twelve-point strategy for infiltration of America. (See link below) They were the defendants in the Holy Land Foundation trial where secret documents authored by the Brotherhood were introduced, part of which outlined their goals in America, to wit:

“The process of settlement is a ‘Civilization-Jihadist Process’…The Ikhwan (Brothers) must understand that their work in America is a kind of grand Jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and sabotaging its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God’s religion is made victorious over all other religions.”

They are the financiers of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), they are the power and money behind the audacious Muslims Students of America (MSA) and the Muslims Of America (MOA) all of which have been subject to many investigations for funding terrorist groups and or causing insurgencies in the United States. The Brotherhood is a force to be reckoned with, in Europe and North America.

Mubarak is the dictator in Egypt, but that’s not a bad thing, because he and his government still honor the treaty with Israel and the U.S. If Mubarak should be removed, and the Muslim Brotherhood takes over power, we will have much to worry about, and so will Israel.

I communicated recently with a knowledgeable source who has worked as a reporter of mid-east affairs for many years, going back to before the Iranian revolution. This was the response I received, in part:

“The uprising is following the exact script of the Iranian Revolution and I feel I can tell you what is going to happen hour by hour, day by day. I’ve just seen it before and history repeats itself. Yemen is at risk as is Jordan, perhaps Algeria, too. Tunisia has set the level. We will not allow Saudi Arabia to be threatened as their safety is vital to our economy. In Iran in 1979, people went out on the streets and turned the army and the police against the Shah, in the name of freedom, liberty, peace and love. Khomenei and his religious thugs sat quietly back. The intellectuals, the western educated spouted what they had learned in their universities in US and the UK and everyone smiled benevolently. The Shah was kicked out, Khomenei stepped in, executed the liberals and intellectuals, instituted a regime of terror that made the Shah look like a pussy cat. The Muslim Brotherhood is staying quietly in the background in Egypt and, when the revolution is complete, they will step in, fill the jails and the hangmen’s nooses and take over.”

When the takeover is complete, Egyptians will be well served, and people will feel happy. All will seem better and wonderful, much like how much better Germans felt under Hitler, and the reports were about a new thriving economy and national pride. But there’s much more behind the scenes we all should be worried about, as my source explained.

Obama is between a rock and a hard place, daring not to appear for or against one side or the other, thus no hard stance either way. It appears that the official response of our government has been to warn Mubarak’s government to withhold using force, and in essence, comply with the demands of insurgents. It has been reported that the U.S. has threatened to withhold some of the $1.5 billion in foreign aid we send to that country, unless they abide by our demands. It would appear to me, that the demands favor the insurgents. And that will eventually favor the Muslim Brotherhood.

We cannot lose sight of their long reaching tentacles. This is not just about Egypt. It’s about the world.

Check out the stories:

Click here: Egypt cracks down on Muslim Brotherhood ahead of elections – CSMonitor.com

Click here: Tanks rumble through Cairo’s streets – The Daily Breeze

Click here: Muslim Brotherhood emerging as backer of Islamic supremacist mega-mosque at Ground Zero – Jihad Watch

Click here: FrontPage Magazine – The Muslim Brotherhood “Project”

Click here: Egypt arrests Muslim Brotherhood leaders – Yahoo! News

63 Responses to EGYPT UPRISING WILL HAVE GLOBAL CONSEQUENCES

1. Christopher Jones January 30, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Some of the immediate things we will see is gas prices skyrocketing, which will of course kick the economy back down from whatever tenuous recovery it is making. This could be the start of what would be known as WW3. I don’t think anything has happened in the world recently, that has such huge consequences. You are spot on with this Marshall, and the next few days will tell the future.

2. Ste3ve Gure January 30, 2011 at 10:19 am #

I agree with you completely. Obama’s response was inadequate. He basically said nothing. In my opinion he should be quiet until he can see how this thing will end.. That is what Israel is doing and I believe they are right. Unless Mubarak gets a handle on the situation, we can ex;pect another Iran. No matter how it ends, we will have to be ready to protect ourselves whatever it takes and I hope Obama is up to it.

3. Frank January 30, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Once again Marshall, you are spot on with this blog. I see this as the advent of more serious consequences in that region and could very well be the catalyst that leads to a shooting war. I hope that Israel is prepared for this because it is going to get very ugly. I don’t know if there is a solution to this problem but I only hope that there is some restoration of order before it goes much further. Here goes the economy once again.

• Christopher Jones January 30, 2011 at 10:37 am #

(Frank, we must be brothers from a different mother). I swear I had no idea you were writing what you did, and know you didn’t know what I was writing. Scary we are thinking so alike.

4. Ed Hensley January 30, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Marshall: Wish you were wrong. Pray that your wrong. Fear that your 10X Right.

5. Ron Kenerly January 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Unfortunately I fear you are correct in your assessments of this situation. This is not only a starting point on another front for the radical Muslims, but it probably is a test to see how the USA and the other western nations will react to this type of uprising. This is going to be costly in many ways for America and I hope that our present government is prepared to handle this situation and the others that this will certainly spawn.

6. Lew T January 30, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

Another thing to be concerned about is that with the Muslim Brotherhood in control of the Suez Canal and the Chinese in de facto control of the Panama Canal, our ability to project force around the world wil be greatly diminished. And with supplies of many vital materials being funnelled through those two water-ways, our industrial capacity will be threatened. It puts us in a weaker position all around.

7. Frank January 30, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

Thanks for this excellent article. Unfortunately for Egypt, the common people cannot read such articles, or they too, would avoid toppling Mubarak. There were many Khomeini supporters who went against the Shah of Iran, only to rue their decision later, saying “We did not know that Khomeini would be worse than the Shah”. The atrocities/corruption of Mubarak will look like a school boy prank compared to what the Muslim Brotherhood will do if they take over Egypt.

8. Jack A. Milavic January 30, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

I had the pleasure of working in Cairo many years ago for President Mubarak. He is solely responsible le for the peace between Israel and many of the Arab countries. Yes he is a dictator but some countries simply cannot live in a democracy. The US must exercise extreme caution in our comments and support of rogue so called democratic radicals.

Secretary Clinton must stay as far away from any talks with anyone in the mideast, she is one of the most hated Secretaries of State in the past thirty years.

9. Felicia Katz-Taylor January 30, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

Hi Marshall,

You are soooo right on.
    In 1977 to 1979 I worked for a division of the Iranian Govt. in New York, and as a Jew
    amongst a few other Jews surrounded by many Moslems, I was treated with the
    upmost respect. The Shah of Iran never bothered the Jews in his Country, and we let
    this King down. I worked very closely with my Boss, who was the relative to the Shah’s
    wife. When the uprising started and the Shah and his family had to leave Iran, and the
    Ayatolah Khomeini came in from France, none of my co-workers went back to Iran, and
    neither did any of my Bosses, they all scrambled thru America, and received Political
    Asylum.
    Now we cannot let Mubarak down, as the Muslim Brotherhood are waiting in the wings,
    just as the Khomeini was waiting.
    G-d help us and give us direction.

Sincerely,

Felicia

10. Ed Hensley January 30, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

GLORIA CENTER – Global Research in International Affairs

Special Report: The Revolt in Egypt and U.S. Policy
    By Barry Rubin *
    January 30, 2011

There is no good policy for the United States regarding the uprising in Egypt but the Obama Administration may be adopting something close to the worst option…..
    ~ Barry Rubin — Click below for a long analysis, much in agreement with M.F.’s.

11. Kevin Childers January 31, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Mr. Frank:

I took this from a reliable source:
    activists participating in what is being called “The January 25 Movement” — believe they’re at a possible tipping point within the country. The Egyptian army has begun to side with the protesters, the President has already been forced to dismiss his entire cabinet, and there are unconfirmed rumors that some members of the ruling family are leaving the country.

Again – Mr. Frank, your blog above is just so full of presumptions. It is my view that if protesters are seeking heads, they will in turn raise the banner, “the people command and the government obeys” … as it ought to be here in the USA.

You’re mistaken if you believe protest and anti-government onslaughts are merely “for the advancement of international Jihad, violent and non-violent, particularly in the western hemisphere”. I bet the English during the so-called “American” Revolution for independence was seen also as a means for the advancement of ‘violence’ against the Ruling Brits.

And, then – your parallelism to the Third Reich and Obama’s expectations of the current leader’s compromising with the insurgents?? Hey-zeus, Mr. Frank … aren’t you the conservative idealist these days!

KC
    HOWL

12. Christopher Jones January 31, 2011 at 10:12 am #

I love it when someone says they took something from a reliable source, then fail to say what the source is, and expect everyone who reads his or her statement(s) to automatically believe. Same old same old. Repeat a story a few times, and the lies become fact. Too many examples to cite, BUT I can and will if called on. Will someone tell who his “reliable source” is? Typical leftwing propaganda…uh, I mean p. r. Yep, same thing.
    Correct me if I am wrong Marshall, but no one has stated that this was ONLY for the advancement of international jihad. What I have seen and heard is that this is the open door for the “Islamic Brotherhood” to assume power in Egypt, and if anyone thinks they are going to rule with a gentle hand, in a democratic and open way, granting freedoms to all the Egyptian people, ESPECIALLY WOMEN, they need to check themselves into the nearest facility for the mentally unbalanced or the criminally insane.
    “Oh, look, Egypt has become a bigger and meaner Iran. Isn’t it nice that they are such a kind and loving government?”
    BTW, Marshall, I am rather happy you are a conservative idealist. Wonder what is going to happen to the wacked out uber leftist fringe (a few of the 20% of those who identify themselves as liberal) when the conservative idealists are duly elected and once again sanity assumes control in this country. Maybe people like Alec Baldwin and Babs Streisand will make good on their promise to move to another country.
    One other thing…anxiously awaiting the outcome of the latest lawsuit of 26 states vs the obamareich, concerning the unconstitutional and illegal REQUIREMENT to purchase healthcare.

13. Ron Kenerly January 31, 2011 at 10:20 am #

I think this statement recap from a Washington Examiner article says a lot to be considered:
    The turmoil in Egypt kept America’s security and military leaders on edge Saturday, fearful of a worst-case scenario in which a massive arsenal supplied by the U.S. falls into the hands of Islamic extremists.

Once this thing in Egypt gets turned around and the Islamic Brotherhood and Hamas has control, they get a very large arsenal of US supplied arms, a formidable air force equipped with F-16′s, a heavily armed naval force, advanced communications, control of the Suez Canal, an open border of sorts with the Gaza which is an open backdoor to Israel, and an idiot in the White House that appears to be leaning to back them in a stance similar to what the US administration took when Honduras ousted Zalaya (the wrong side) plus then adding the open support of Iran and Syria, with Saudi Arabia in the shadows…mix this together and guess what we will be facing in the M.E. region. Just getting a gallon of gasoline will be the thing.

14. Kevin Childers January 31, 2011 at 10:48 am #

In America – the motto should be in every town and in every city —
    Here, the People command and the Government obeys.

• Christopher Jones January 31, 2011 at 11:44 am #

Do you know what ROFL means? In case any reader doesn’t, it means rolling on floor laughing.
      I started laughing when you called me a neo liberal and a neo Reaganite (and conservative), all in the same note. What a hoot. Talk about Geo Orwell and doublespeak.
      You, sir, have NO idea of what I believe and don’t believe. In fact I am anything but a proponant of globalization. I think, in fact, that it has all but destroyed manufacturing in the United States. As far as unions are concerned, I helped form on in Gaffney, SC, for our police department. (That earned me a lot of points with the city government, since SC is a right to work state.) I was a member of one in NY at the S. O. I worked for. You, like other leftists, love to make assumptions and then put anyone who disagrees with your ideas in little boxes, labeling us all in one way or another. Pity. That is the obamareich way of doing things. Like his famous ” I am not sure of what happened in Massachusettes, but I am certain that the police overreacted.” Gee, do you think obama has any preconceived notions about the police?
      Back to the unions. I could give a rip about whether unions exist. I have no desire to have the government legislate them in our out. There have been times when unions have been good for the country. There are times when unions have killed or almost killed business in this country. Then, the obamareich turned around and saved a couple of those businesses, and put the fox in charge of the hen house. Wonder if that will work. Had the unions not had such zeus-awful power with the auto industry, maybe we would never had to bail them out…which I think was a very bad idea. They SHOULD have been allowed to go bankrupt, reorganize, and out of the ashes would have come a much better industry.
      I am glad you asked me to explain something, and then of course went on the answer the question for me. Nice. Typical. You are right, of course, and the rest of us are just too stupid to be right. Sigh. Guess I will go outside in the garden, and eat worms.
      As for the Egyptian people, they could well be sucked up into what Archie Bunker would have said “crapola” spewed by the Islamic Brotherhood, like the Ayatolla Khomeini and his minions told the people of Iran. Talk a good story enough, and the lie becomes the truth. Propaganda 101. Yes, there is a dictator in place now…but what is in charge of Iran? The Iranian people took to the street last year, and were brutalized…the demonstators dealt with lethally and / or imprisoned. The outcome in Egypt could and probably will be far far worse than what they have now. Plus the terrorists will have some nice new modern weapons to use. Do you really think that the Islamic Fundamentalist extreme is going to allow the people to rule in Egypt? Mr. Childers…if so, I have some great stock tips for you. Just sent me money, and I will forward them immediately.
      Incidentally, do you have relatives in Gaffney, SC?

• Christopher Jones January 31, 2011 at 11:48 am #

As for the people commanding and the government obeying, how about that health care thing? The overwhelming people were against it, and they rammed it down our throats. Yep, the govt. sure obeyed the people, didn’t they. Oh…that’s right, they know what is best for us. Sounds like dictatorship to me.

• kevin childers February 8, 2011 at 11:21 am #

By the way, Mr. Jones … the majority of the Senate, House and the American people were behind the Health Care plan. This idea that it was rammed down our throats is FOX news propaganda.

mr. jones – I am a married man, with 2 children. To insure my wife, in the USA, costs me $500 a month, $6,000 annually. I take home no more than $28,000 a year with a housewife taking care of a 4 year old and a 15 month old. I am taxed already and give up some $10,000 a year to support whatever the government decides is best for the American people. The fact that 3/4 of a trillion dollars goes to keep the military in operation, and not even a tenth of that amount is used toward educating our young Americans …

all I can say is – the collapse is upon us all … spending $12 billion a month to “liberate” Afghanistan and Iraq, while millions of Americans who pay their taxes, cannot afford health care in this god-forsaken country … is no dictatorship. it is capitalistic and it is against the common good for Americans!

• Christopher Jones February 8, 2011 at 11:38 am #

In what alternative universe do you live? The majority of Americans do NOT want obamacare. Good lord man, poll after poll state the obvious, that this law is flawed, wrong, and should be repealed. The mid term elections were all about changing the government, because they passed a law which WE DID NOT WANT. It appears now, that the law will be thrown out in the courts, as it is ILLEGAL TO FORCE SOMEONE TO BUY SOMETHING.

Are you saying that it is the responsibility of all Americans to pay health care costs for everybody? That a bad lifestyle should be underwritten by everybody? That the obese, the smokers, the heavy drinkers and the sexually promiscuous should get to pay the same as the person who is monogamous, eats right, drinks in moderation, and does not smoke? How is it that the risky driver has to pay more in car insurance, than the safe driver? Are we just blending everyone?

You know, I have seen you complain twice about the lousy pay you say you get. If you don’t like what you do, because the pay is low, then educate yourself and get another job. One that pays more. That is our choice here in this country. Still.

15. Kevin Childers January 31, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Mr. Jones

Your comment: I started laughing when you called me a neo liberal and a neo Reaganite (and conservative), all in the same note

1) Neo-Liberalism — seeks to maximize the role of the private sector in determining the political and economic priorities of the state
    2) Neo-Reaganite — a 21st century disciple of Ronald Reagan, who during his ‘regime’, liberalized the American economic system by de-regulating it
    3) Conservative — you appear to be concerned with “bringing sanity” back to America by the status quo, the traditional values and ways of conservatism

And, your comment: I have no desire to have the government legislate them in our out — my point here is that you then have no desire to see workers in America, first and foremost, maintain their jobs, and secondly, not have the right to join together in order to pursue their best interests, which most often, if always, requires unionization. Capitalists are vampires, profiting and taking wealth away from another man’s labor. And, each time you reply with this “Obamareich”, you imply that one, his administration is parallel to Hitler’s Third Reich, which is a fallacy, and secondly, as every other ‘conservative’ in America, deems Obama a socialist, or a communist dictator, which is in fact, in opposition to your thought that his administration is “fascist” as was Hitler’s.

Of course – the American Auto Industry should have filed bankruptcy and collapsed and then, emerged from the ashes, but Bush and Obama didn’t allow that. Most recently, if you check other ‘reliable’ sources, GM has flourished in China, where Chinese automakers of GM Cars are doing well, and Chinese are buying this product. This is how wealth is created – production within a country whose producers earn sufficient wages, in order to go out and spend their wealth by purchasing a fellow Chinese product.

What Americans have permitted, is the Government during the Bush Administration, another Reaganite, and back to Reagan himself, to deregulate corporations, which then outsourced American jobs, e.g. 42,000+ factories across America have closed since Reagan’s presidency. NAFTA as well is a major element of this Neo-Liberalism and Globalization that has led to the impoverishment of Americans, Mexicans and so on. If Americans are unemployed, and are then told that the only way for the US Economy to grow, is to spend their money (i.e. consumer spending) … and they (we) have no wealth, because we are no longer mass-producing, but mass-consuming, we then are spending money that we’ve borrowed … and that is the wrong direction to go.

Obama will say nothing about this. Bush II said nothing. And the Clinton, Bush II and Reagan administrations all saw “freer people when there exists freer markets” …which is a term found under the aegis of Friedmannism. And, to me, that is fascism, that is right-wing ideology … and that is state capitalism!

There is a dictatorship in America – it is the DEMO-GOP Party !!
    Obama is just another run of the mill DEMO-GOP in my view.
    He’s in the same upper right hand quadrant with all of the other authoritarians.
    He may not be as far right, as was Bush II or Reagan, but they were much more “upwards” toward authoritarianism. Obama is a liberal, and in my view, speak for progress in some ways, not all.

The key to you, Mr. Jones, is that you are as anti-Muslim as Mr. Frank.
    Mr. Frank claims to be an atheist, or at least an agnostic. But, at the same time, he’s a cowardly conservative when it comes to the USA … in that conservatives today believe they speak for their so-called “founding fathers” and know exactly what they meant when they signed the Constitution. It’s all very simply Glenn Beckianism! Always divert the attention away from the real issues, the real issue creators, and point the fingers of suspicion at the liberals, or the progressives, or the socialists or communists … this is the way a Fascist works!

Kevin
    HOWL

• Bob S February 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

Kevin:

You have several flawed statements in your Jan 31 comments. First:
      “Capitalists are vampires, profiting and taking wealth away from another man’s labor.” Capitalists are the CREATORS of jobs and provide wealth to those who otherwise would not have anything. Serious students of economics at your own institution can prove the law of economics that requires fair wages for fair work. Are there exceptions? Absolutely. But a government that guarantees for workers’ security and pay must either be the employers themselves (funded by taxpayers), or will eventually run the private companies out of business – which is what is happening now.
      I would argue that governmental restrictions and pay requirements are a large part of what caused American corporations to move employment overseas – NOT de-regulation – whatever that means. Please give me proof to your assertion that Reagan “de-regulation” is responsible for job loss. Was that deregulation of the airlines? Or maybe deregulation (by states – not feds) of utility companies? I’m so confused by your communist ramblings. Yes – communist. One who believes that the power of production lies in the hands of the workers and that the State provides the workers with their “rewards.” Show me ONE country where that has worked.

16. Kevin Childers January 31, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Remember Mr. Jones …

Reagan spoke of big government as the enemy to the American people, and in the meantime, ordered a massive increase in Cold War related defense spending that caused large budget deficits and the U.S. trade deficit expansion, and contributed as well to the Savings and Loan crisis. Thus, in order to cover new federal budget deficits, the United States borrowed heavily both domestically and abroad, raising the national debt from $700 billion to $3 trillion, and the United States moved from being the world’s largest international creditor to the world’s largest debtor nation.

Now – tell me why I should vote for a conservative, Neo-Reaganite, such as Mitt Romney or that ole snake, Newt Gingrich, both of whom speak of Reagan as their economic idol / god ??

No one in the GOP camp will dare bring this up … otherwise, be deemed a “liberal” !!

Kevin
    HOWL

• Christopher Jones February 1, 2011 at 12:05 am #

(hey Kevin. pssst. just wanted to let you in on a little secret. obama has raised that national debt all by himself over 5 trillion in just two years. Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant)…

• Kevin Childers February 1, 2011 at 9:05 am #

This is a falsehood.
        $5 Trillion is an exaggerated figure and I would like to see the numbers. When Obama stepped into office, debt was hovering at $11 trillion. Before Bush entered into office, it was $5 trillion.
        As far as I know, Obama added $2 trillion, half of which came when he and his DEMO-GOPs robbed the American people of $800 billion to buttress the capitalists and the bankers and the neo-liberals’ economic and political priorities!

As of today – 02/01/2011
        US National Debt = $14.071
        Average increase per day = $4.14 billion (since 2007)

So, again – your numbers are off, Herr Jones!

• Christopher Jones February 1, 2011 at 9:45 am #

Oooops. Looks like I did in fact overstate the debt that the obamareich has run up. In January of 2009, the debt was 10.7 trillion. It is now appx 14.1 trillion. Doing the math here, I come up with 3.4 trillion additional debt. Sorry, the 5 trillion will not be here until the end of this year, as we expect to add 1.5 trillion to the debt this year. Oh, these are all CBO numbers, not mine.
          So…in just about 2 years, the obamareich added a bit more to the national debt than my hero, Mr. Reagan added in his entire 8 years. And let’s remember something, the democrats ran the congress the entire time Reagan was in office. Not that he couldn’t have used his veto power to stop the insanity. Since obama has been in charge, until now, the insanity has run unchecked.
          I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Reagan before he was elected president. It is one of the best moments of my life. You, Mr. Chiders, can call me herr whatever you want, because once again, you wish to catagorize me. You still do not know what I stand for, or how I feel about ALL the issues…just what I have printed, which you feel free to bastardize…edit…take out of context.
          The reason, once again, for this blog, is to warn of what is going to happen if the radical extremist Islamic Brotherhood takes over in Egypt. Looks like, according to the news I saw a few minutes ago, that the rioting, insurgency, etc., has now spread to another mid east country. Yep, that is what Marshall predicted in his opening statement. Still, you may put your head firmly in the sand, and insist it is just about people wanting to be free, as they all join together and sing Kumbaya. Guess Kumbaya is sung between smashing out windows with molotov cocktails, rocks, etc. You will insist that those who suspect the happenings “just hate Muslims”, which is a lie from the pit of leftist hell. The dominoes are beggining to fall, and watching this happen is quite frustrating, as we do feel somewhat helpless watching the mid east turning into a giant sucking vacuum where terrorists will gladly take over, promising peace and love, and taking the last civil liberty away from the people who live there. If they then decide to go after Israel, it will be on. Wonder if you are prepared for what might be coming?
          Or does this fit in your world view, that YOU know what is best for the people? Feel free to look up the national debt figures by googling it. I am the first to admit where I was wrong. How about you? Or would you just like to blame Reagan? At least that is more original than the obamareich blaming Bush.
          Oh…one other little tiny thing. NAFTA was passed while Billy Bob Jimmy Joe “I did not have sex with that woman….
          Monica Lewinsky” Clinton. Clinton, as I recall, is of the leftist persuasion, I believe.

• kevin childers February 3, 2011 at 9:16 am #

You see Mr. Frank …
            you can’t speak with these people.
            They rant and rave about labeling …
            but do the same just as they say I do …
            I say the “righteous” are the ones with their heads in the sand, I say the “righteous” are the ones who truly have swords and guns held high and claim it is the terrorists abroad who are the issue, etc. etc.

Mr. Jones … do not forget … Bush gave away $750 billion adding almost another trillion to the $10.7 before he left office … and then, immediately, Obama gave away another $800 billion at the beginning of his presidency. Thus, the debt breached the $12 trillion mark. And, of course, spending hasn’t stopped. Don’t forget, so called ‘defensive’ military operations are costing US taxpayers $750 billion a year … and the list goes on.

Do not attempt to pardon Reagan in your comments. What a trillion was in Reagan’s day is not the same 30 years later, Mr. Jones! The $$ was at its strongest in his day, in comparison to the weak and feebleness that it has today … have you seen the dollar in comparison to the CNY (China) lately … ??? wow!

I have no need to ‘bastardize’ your comments or thoughts, Mr. Jones … you clearly inform us all of your stance, and it is far-right wing (which is state capitalistic) … which is in other words, fascism.

And, I would rather be a leftist, socialist, communist any day rather than a right-wing thinking idealist.

Clinton and the DEMO-GOPs did however balance the budget, and all your right wingers think about is that, oh my goodness, he had sex in the oval office? Please … you “moral majority” swing at the bat … just saw a third strike whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz by !! You’re out.

Kevin
            HOWL

• Christopher Jones February 3, 2011 at 9:33 am #

Roughly 33 lines of vitriol, name calling (labeling), attacks on me and others, and not one real word on the situation in Egypt.
              You are a very sick man, Mr. Childers, I pray you seek professional help. Please refrain from further attacks on me, as this is not about me, it is about the situation in Egypt. Stop acting like some teenager who has to have the last word, then stick your tongue out and say “I told you so, nah nah nah.” If you are an adult, and who knows on a blog, it is way beneath you.

• Kevin Childers February 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

The Solution for Egypt, Mr. Jones?
                When the 30 year veteran leader steps aside, give the power and authority over to the people, just as it is supposed to be in America, which calls itself a Republic, a Democratic State, who’s influenced by the economic and political priorities of private enterprise (Neo-Liberalism) … and Egypt will flourish like we have today, right?

The people of Egypt are revolting … that is the word on the situation. And, time will tell if liberty and equality and democratic values find a home in that country …

• Kevin Childers February 3, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

on a last note, Mr. Jones
                NAFTA was created and brought forward by George Bush I … and signed by Clinton … so I blame both and their lot for the outsourcing of millions of jobs Americans could do and now wish they still had, instead of being the employable unemployed wandering the aisles of Wal-Mart, which sells the “stuff” no one needs in America, and yet, the private enterprise wants nothing more from Americans, but to have money and wants … that is, to consume.

This is exactly what Mubarack wants in Egypt, for everyone to just shut up and do as they are expected and told. And, people there have had enough …

17. Dave Creelman January 31, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Damn, Marshall and Christopher, you sure rattled Kevins cage.

• Christopher Jones January 31, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

Why thank you Dave, I consider that a compliment. I am still laughing over the above quote that obama is in the upper right quadrant, then that he is a liberal. I just love it when a person goes off and has me all wrapped up…and then goes on to rage against me because of my beliefs, which he does not now or will not ever know, because he has already made up his mind, and it is as closed not just for the winter…but for good.
      But one thing is for sure. I AM very much against radical Muslim terrorists and extremists. I know they are my enemy, because they want to kill me, my wife, my kids, and my grandkids, because we believe differently than they do. We proudly believe in a loving God, and consider Jesus Christ to be our savior. I stand along side of Him, and hope that even if some radical terrorist so called Muslim told me to recant that, or he would cut off my head, I would go down defending my beliefs. The funny thing here is that I don’t care that they don’t believe the same way that I do. I would share the Gospel with them, if they wished, but never force feed my Religion on them. They, however, wish us all to be like them, or that we die. Again, if I am anti Muslim, it is now and always will be anti radical terrorist Muslim. The strange rantings above say Marshall and I are anti Muslim. I repeat, if you tell a lie enough times, I guess it becomes the truth, if only to the deranged writings of someone.
      Lastly, I say this. Obama and Hitler have so much in common it is scary. Hitler was a socialist. His party was the National Socialist Party, aka the NAZI party. Hitler controlled the country with an iron hand and fist, and incidentally, he went on to control several other countries the same way, or has that history been rewritten already? Hitler had his brown shirted youth…and during the campaign, obama had his little obama kids…dressed incidentally in brown. Teachers had school children singing about obama like he was some kind of deity, just like good little Nazi’s and now good little communists do with their leaders. Obama can’t take over our country, because there is too much opposition, and the so called independants finally figured out that this guy is indeed a socialist, or a socialist wannabe, and even the independants don’t like it.
      For you, Mr. Childers, I don’t give a rip if you are a socialist, communist, anarchist or any ist. I don’t care if you have an IQ of 150, or 75 on a hot day. I am not going to label you, but you apparently have a desire to label anyone who disagrees with you, and that is rather sad in my book. We will see in the next few days or weeks, just who is right about what is going to happen to the people of Egypt. Remember…that is what this blog is all about. It isn’t about me convincing you to vote for anyone in the next election. It isn’t about name calling and catagorizing everyone. It is about what many of us, at the very least Marshall and I, feel is going to happen to the good people of Egypt, if the Islamic Brotherhood take over there. We believe the people will be nothing short of slaves to the govt., and will have far less say so in their daily lives than they do now under Mubarek. Frankly, I am not sure what you said. I just know I have to study your writings a whooooooole lot, just to figure out who I am, and what I am. I thought retirement was going to be much more fun than this. That, and I really miss the Childers’ family back in Gaffney.

• Kevin Childers February 1, 2011 at 11:32 am #

the Roman Road to Salvation?? Umm … confession with one’s mouth is indeed an element of that salvation, but it is not the sole element. Galatians 3:27 states: For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Romans 6 includes the following:

[3] Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
        [4] Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

And, as stated earlier – the conversion of the Ethiopian Eunich in Acts 8:

[36] And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
        [37] And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
        [38] And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

All of this is sent to you as ‘evidence’ that you cannot simply turn to Romans chapter this and verse that, and find the “roman road to salvation” … making all steps to be ‘in Christ’ … and confession with one’s mouth is just one of those steps toward being in Christ, along with repentance and baptism.

I mention this only in this blog Mr. Jones because you are the one who first expressed your “christian” faith as in opposition to the “radical Muslim faith” which is out there with the intention to destroy your body and your life.

To the Christian, this life is nothing in comparison to the “hereafter” … and both the Christian and the Muslim see the “Hereafter” as far greater than this “human” life, this struggle to overcome death and the odds, in order to have peace and love in the world.

Neither Christianity nor Islam is about bring peace, for even Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:

[34] Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
        [35] For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
        [36] And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
        [37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
        [38] And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Think of it, Mr. Jones … Jesus didn’t intend to bring peace to the world. He brought rather the opposite … and here Christians today pray and pray for peace, within, and without, the swords are withdrawn and looking for the enemy to battle against …

this has been a perpetual battle since Jesus and Mohammed came and went … and their followers are intent on destroying each other, no matter the costs to live or livelihood.

This is why I walked away from it … because it doesn’t bring me peace or solace, but chaos and destructiveness!

• Christopher Jones February 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

Unfortunately, you take what I wrote about radical terrorist Muslims out of context in respect to my beliefs.They want to kill EVERYBODY that disagrees with them. And I merely stated that as a Christian, who knows those people want to kill me, make me want to protect and defend my family. My Christian faith is not up for debate with you on this blog, but you made it that way. The radical, terrorist Muslims (which to my knowledge are not all Muslims…in case you wish to go down that road again), want to kill the Jews too. They want to kill Buddists. They want to kill everyone who does not fit their style of radical Islam.
          I appreciate that you do seem to have a working knowlege of some scripture, but PLEASE do not try to educate me on a blog which is about what is happening in the Middle East.
          Enough time and space have been taken regarding this issue, as far as I am concerned. I still wish you peace and will keep you in my prayers. Unless you have some new things to say about the Middle East, I end any conversation with you right here. Please focus…FOCUS…this is about the fuse burning in the Middle East, and how it will affect us in the U.S.

• Kevin Childers February 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Fine, Mr. Jones.
            But, again, why should I take your “belief system” over that of the Radical Muslim? Fundamentalism in general and its supporters always from all historical accounts presents itself as the “defenders of truth”.

250 years ago, the “savage” native American was seen the “Other” … which then went to war with France and later on with the British and then, the Americans, who then, led them away across half this country to their deaths, all in order for our fore-parents to be ‘free and prosper’.

So, in this modern context, i.e. Egypt’s dilemma, here is a country whose borders haven’t changed in 5,000 years! And, President Obama has the right to call the current dictator on the phone and say, “hey, I think it best that you hand over your power to insurgents.” … and I bet, Murubak has given our own dictator (as you conservatives like to call him) … the “one finger salute”. A man in power for 2 years telling a man in power for 3 decades what to do? Umm, not going to fly with that “Pharaoh”.

Point is – the reason why I decided to make some stab at your faith, is because so many Americans see themselves as in the right … because they believe they have “truth” on their side, viz. the God of the Holy Bible … and faith in the Bible … is a powerful motive for Americans to say, wherever peace is disrupted, is thus grounds for an “American crusade” … e.g. Iraq 2003. What good then has that done for Americans? Do you feel any freer or any better knowing that Iraqis are no longer under the aegis of a mad dictator, and now under the control of a utterly broke nation, whose very existence depends on whether or not China decides to cash in her poker chips?

What is happening in Egypt should not be seen or viewed by Americans as a means to spread ‘paranoia’ and ‘fear’ by the likes of conservatives who speak of peace and democracy, and yet, are far from knowledge that one finds in the “Christian” handbook that states its own leader, Jesus Christ, as one who did not intend to bring peace to the world, but a sword.

And, then, we Americans complain that the Radical Muslims are wielding and sharpening up their own swords seeking to cut off as many heads as possible?

It is hypocritical to me for an American to profess that the USA is the harbinger of peace in the world, when, for the past 60 years since WWII, it is the American who has suppressed and capitalized other cultures, thus destroying cultures around the globe, all for the benefit of profit and position.

I would rather speak on your ‘Belief’ system than to speak of Egyptian protest any day because quite frankly, the people there need to be in control, not the government.

• Christopher Jones February 1, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

But we won’t.

• Kevin Childers February 1, 2011 at 9:16 am #

No, Mr. Creelman!
      The reality is that the American cesspool needs a thorough pumping out and draining of what has settled at the bottom … namely a combination of rotten Tea Bags, Neoliberal excrement, and the only two “coloring” books Reagan ever read… pump out all of this BS and start afresh!

• Christopher Jones February 1, 2011 at 9:49 am #

Hey Dave. Sounds like someone’s head is about to explode.

Manning the pumps, I am
        Herr Jones

• Dave Creelman February 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

Rattle, rattle, rattle.

18. Chris February 1, 2011 at 8:54 am #

Scarry indeed. The people of Egypt want Mubarak gone. The U.S., Israel and Jordan want Mubarak to stay in power and so Obama can not take sides.

I don’t see gas prices rising aside from what is a normal rise in price anyway. Unless the Suez canal (a pinchpoint) goes under blockade.

The whole outcome of this situation may change the political landscape of the middle east and probably the fragile relations with the western world.

19. Frank M. February 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

My head is about to explode….. Keep fighting the good fight Chris, you have him nailed.

I had to change my name to differentiate myself from the other Frank who is on the blog

Kevin has just recently returned to commenting and as usual is rather full of himself as he pontificates from the mountain that he lives on. Obviously he has not been in touch with reality for many” mango seasons’….. maybe some day he will wake up, but I don’t hold out much hope for that to happen as long as he dwells in his world of academia.

20. Ron Kenerly February 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

First Marshall, you need to put a stop to the childish gibberish between Mr. Jones and Childs on this Egyptian blog…..send them their respective email address, phone numbers or address and let them fight their religious and political differences out in private.

For the Egyptian matter, it appears that the Muslim Brotherhood is going to get control of Egypt in the end of this mess and as I mentioned before, this is going to give them additional power they have never enjoyed previously on any front by inheriting a very formidable military with modern equipment and a great deal of means to execute their agenda.
    The Obama administration is taking the wrong path by supporting the “students” of this revolt, who are mainly ignorant young people blind to the facts staring them in the face…or worse yet, sympathizers with the Islamic cause which is behind this melee. Is the free world so blind to see that the Islamic Brotherhood and Hamas are not licking their chops to get to be in control of Egypt. The following they are also formulating in several other neighboring countries at this same time will have us faced with an issue of enormous proportions to contain and an arch enemy with a definite means to carry out their intentions once they have gained control of Egypt and its assets.

• Christopher Jones February 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

Thank you Ron. I sent a similar email to Marshall this morning, apologizing for the stupidity, and apologizing for answering silly posts. I have repeatedly stated in my posts that this is about Egypt, and not about all the other things that continue to be posted. Apparently my posts fall on deaf ears, as it goes on. I have not and will not answer the three or four more posts, which continued after I ended my part.
      It has been inappropriate to have any type of other conversation, when we are supposed to be talking about Egypt.

You are dead right that the administration is taking the wrong position when supporting students here. Like most of us, when we were in college, we had rather lofty ideals, which always sound real good, and look good on paper, but as we find out as we mature, do not work. We just don’t need the Islamic brotherhood taking control, through the youth and students. That just becomes a bigger problem for us, and for Israel.

To you, and to everyone who reads the blog, I apologize for my part in the continuing saga. Marshall has my blessing to erase all of the back and forth which does not apply to the issue in discussion. I do not wish to discuss anything more with the other party, and do NOT wish him to have either my phone no. or email address, as it is all pointless.

Chris Jones

• kevin childers February 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Marshall …
        If fighting the good fight …
        it takes determination and persistence to deal with
        the likes of those above. Basically the attacks from either my side or their side find some basis in this discussion about Egypt because you sir are the one who chooses to post blogs related to politico-religious issues. For 30 years, one man has controlled power in Egypt and the first sign of protest by the common people against so called pro-government demonstrators is thus viewed by you, or Mr. Jones, or Kenerly as reasons to lash out at these protests which they see as a means for Radical Islam to step in, take over and continue the Jihad …

all the while … state capitalism, commercialized christianity and power mongers keep the flow of propaganda steady and thick. Boobs and quacks, like Hannity, will get on TV acting as if (he / they) represent the voice of conservative America, … a voice long silenced by the role of religion in this country.

To call our replies back and forth as “pointless” is just one simply sign, Mr. Jones, that you see yourself as possessing “truth”, and the same goes for the rest of you, “truth” holders, which in essence suggests there is but one door to that truth …

this issue is much much deeper than radical Islam. It is about the nature of man which neither wants to be a slave, nor wishes to comform to the tenants of religious suppression. Mr. Jones, you can talk all day long about this issue, yet you but scratch the surface. And, the rest of your ‘conservative’ cronnies … my goodness, Protestant / Evangelical America is in my view as much of the problem as is a man controlling power for 30 years in Egypt.

And the reason “WHY” … is because both rely upon the use of dominance through threat of punishment and violence. Religious intoleration is rampant in both Christianity and in Islam. But, Americans believe they do not intertwine their political belief with their religious belief, and in my view, to deem these beliefs as two fundamentally different things, is to disrupt the harmony of the world.

Of course, cutting off hands or heads is wrong. So is believing that just because we Americans personally didn’t drop the bombs on Baghdad, or fire our weapons at the enemies we’ve battled against 2001, doesn’t mean that we are ‘innocent’ nor ‘immune’ to the fact that our tax dollars make war happen.

Blowing up a building in an attempt to kill an emeny, and in the process, ‘innocent’ women and children die simply because they are there, too … by force most often … can never be justified by any leader nor any other person who believes America is about the spreading of freedom and democracy. America is, but a large number of Americans fail to recognize that we are not always in the right … that we have allowed our government, our military and corporate interests to prioritize American politics and economics … for profit.

If the Egyptians truly desire freedom, then, they should not simply instill another ‘president’ to replace the 30 year veteran.
        They should abolish that government and institute a new government based on equality and liberty and the pursuit of public, collective good.

This means … religion has no part in that pursuit. Religion is a means of control, and Islam / Christianity are the two world leaders of religious control.

My comments to Mr. Jones, yes, may have been offensive, or appearing to be mere preyings on his person, but … I do not heed the words of ‘evangelical christians’ any more than I do liberalized Muslims who claim to be ‘righteous’.

Mr. Frank … my apologies if I have offended someone here … but for the most part, Americans do not have a clue what they are doing, what they are saying … because it has been impressed on their brains like a branding that anyone outside the USA actually gives a hoot what we think …

We are seen as proponents of an American Empire …
        and that is what we are, if we are tax paying citizens,
        who do not raise our voices at all, as Baghdad was blitzkrieged,
        or multiple villlages in the Afghani countryside … so on and so forth. This is not WWII, gentlemen, this is “war on terror” … so you cannot continue to see this matter as purely politically … when it is cultural, it is economical … and it is religiously supported by two opposing views … and neither one is right.

• Ron Kenerly February 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

Mr. Childers, have you ever lived or worked outside of the USA?
          Have you ever spent any time in the Middle East living among these type people?
          Have you ever experienced the results of the US Government exerting pressure on a recent friendly Head of State whom they now want removed from power for reasons you will never know or understand?
          I am interested to know these answers.
          I have experienced all of the above and I can tell you this is not religion or soon to be democracy at work, it is the hand of faceless people(s) from unknown places performing a deed they solely deem necessary for some obsecure reason.

• kevin childers February 8, 2011 at 10:40 am #

have you ever lived or worked outside of the USA? Yes

Have you ever spent any time in the Middle East living among these type people? Not in the Middle East, but I have lived and worked among “Turkish” and “Saudis” here in the USA
            Have you ever lived through any these types of civil uprisings in the name of whatever lable these people want to put on this type of action in any part of the world? No – but I did grow up in Atltanta GA and saw a great deal of negativity on the part of White Folks / Black Folks who seemed to think they could not co-exist

Have you ever experienced first handed the change of government under these conditions? No, but I do wish that I could … I urge you to read Jack Reed’s “Ten Days that Shook the World”

This is a question being raised under the aegis of rlght-wing ideology, and for that, I will offer no answer or analysis, except to say … “friend head of state” ??
            Friendly on in terms of compromising with corporate America / military industrial complex … as Egypt received a billion and a half for “military’ purposes only, not to the betterment of Egyptian society.

KC

• Ron Kenerly February 8, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Well, I have first-hand experienced all of the situations I ask you about…and I suggest to you that reading books and listening to speakers is not the same as being there and dealing with it 24/7 as it occurs.
              I experienced these situations in both Latin America and previous to that in the Middle East. The experiences are nothing like the news people are showing and telling the American public…and the reasons it occurs are normally just the opposite of what they depict.
              The Middle East is a hot bed of hate for the western world and this will never change. They are tribal people, have been since the beginning of time and this will never change either, regardless of how much structured democracy the USA tries to install.
              The problem with the changes occurring now in Egypt is that the outcome will give our enemies a real stronghold because of the location, the avenues controlled and the hardware inherited to further their means against us….the same hardware the USA furnished the government in times past as a means to fight exactly what is happening there now.

• Christopher Jones February 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

I don’t find your comments offensive, Mr. Childers, just simple. You are supposedly a professor, yet you simplify things that are just not simple.
          You seem to see things in black and white, and I see things in multiple shades of gray. I am suspect of the brotherhood, an organization started by a gent called Hitler, who you likened me too, by calling me a fascist. Hitler help set up the brotherhood, and taught them how to kill Jews. In my way of thinking, that is not particularly nice, and if that is their attitude, it still is not nice. Understatement? Yes, you could say that.
          The brotherhood finances Hamas, and CAIR. Now doesn’t that give pause to anyone but me? CAIR, with it’s kind of gentle sounding name is financed here in the United States by a group of people who were in part founded by Hitler, and taught to kill Jews. Gee. And you wonder why I might be concerned about the Egyptians, and having the brotherhood determine their future.
          You may continue to label me and call me names, if it makes you feel bigger and badder. Yes, I have called Clinton Billy Bob Jimmy Joe, but that is not vitriol or hate, it is meant to be humorous. You calling me a fascist, well, I am of the opinion that is rather hateful and vitriolic. Like I said, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

• kevin childers February 8, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Mr. Jones
            Let us keep in mind what Fascism is.
            1) a radical and authoritarian nationalist political ideology — which seeks to organize a nation on corporatist perspectives, values, and systems
            2) corporatist implies a political system in which power is exercised through large organizations (i.e. “small businesses”) working in concert with each other, under the direction of the state
            3) Catchy slogans, pride in the military, and demands for unity were common themes in expressing this nationalism
            4) Through clever use of propaganda, the population is brought to accept human rights abuses by marginalizing, even demonizing, those being targeted
            5) scapegoating as a means to divert the people’s attention from other problems, to shift blame for failures, and to channel frustration in controlled directions
            6) mass media under strict direct control
            7) the rubric of protecting “national security,” and questioning its activities portrayed as unpatriotic or even treasonous.
            8) Propaganda keeps up the illusion that the ruling elites are defenders of the “Faith” and opponents of the “godless”
            9) THIS ONE IS KEY TO THE INITIAL COMMENT ABOVE: Although the personal life of ordinary citizens was under strict control, the ability of large corporations to operate in relative freedom was not compromised — and in America, corporations have “individual” rights thanks to the Supreme Court
            10) organized labor is as the one power center that could challenge the political hegemony of the ruling elite and its corporate allies (Fascism), thus it is inevitably crushed or made powerless.

I mention these 10 items to express the idea that America today is in fact walking the line which parallels “fascism” – specifically because the US economy is in fact — a market-driven approach to economic and social policy based on neoclassical theories of economics. And, those who head these policies stress the efficiency of private enterprise, liberalized trade and relatively open markets, and therefore they seek to maximize the role of the private sector in determining the political and economic priorities of the state.

Gentlemen, this is fascism … and in the meantime, you all turn your heads away from these facts, and place your attention on what is going on in Egypt (you attention is diverted, or you want to divert the attention of others to — the issues presently at the surface in the Middle East. Of course, we can’t have multiple “Muslim” countries protesting for “less government” because that means Middle Eastern folks have the tendency to fall back on their “religious” zealousness and what I have gathered here from Mr. Jones and others … is this extreme concern that “Islamo-Fascists” who want to bring Jihad to America will take control of the situation in Egypt …

And, here is how the Capitalist system (i.e. Neo-Liberalism) works to collaborate with the internationally prevailing ideological paradigm that leads to social, cultural, and political practices and policies that use the language of markets, efficiency, consumer choice, transactional thinking and individual autonomy to shift risk from governments and corporations onto individuals … and the latter, the Individual has no clue at all what the government nor the corporation are up to in taking advantage of the “individual” and his or her rights.

I will end with a quote by Eugene Debs who here calls for a renascence of “revolutionary” virtue:

“Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Paine and their compeers [were] the rebels of their day. When they began to chafe under the rule of a foreign king and to sow the seed of resistance among the colonists, they were opposed by the people and denounced by the press … But they had the moral courage to be true to their convictions, to stand erect and defy all forces of reaction and detraction; and that is why their names shine in [American] history and why the great respectable majority of their day sleep in forgotten graves.”

Gentlemen, do not be persuaded by the likes of men who want to divert your attention. Hatred and partisanship among men is neither humane nor to be tolerated by men of virtue. Whatever the Egyptians decide is best for themselves (and local people there have been policing their own streets, cleaning up their own streets, and organizing around commonality) … I say let fate decide what will be, not the likes of a President in the USA, who thinks he’s the leader of the free world !!

• Christopher Jones February 8, 2011 at 9:59 am #

First…you quote Eugene Debs. Now, that is the same Eugene Debs that began the socialist party in the United States, right? The same Eugene Debs that ran for president as a socialist five times, right? Just wanted to clarify that one.

While you give an interesting description and definition of fascism, I am having a rather hard time seeing myself as a fascist, especially when I read what you wrote, (but that is what you called me.) Rather, I see you describing obama as a fascist. Part of your definition of fascism says that the media only spews what fascists want them to spew. Interesting that obama might be considered a fascist. Well, I have seen and written about the similarities between obama and hitler.

As for Egypt, which is the topic in question, not the United States, we are looking at the unfortunate vacuum occuring in what our media is portraying as the Egyptians yearning to be free. That vacuum, it seems, may well be filled like the vacuum in Iran was, as Ron Rico stated. Suddenly, the very way of life you rail against, fascism, will fill that void as it did in Iran. The govt. will in fact tell the people what to do, how to do it, when to do it. The people will have no ability to tell the government anything. Well, they can, but they will be imprisoned or killed. Just like in Iran.
              And that is what this topic is about. We are not in your class, listening and obeying and thinking what a brilliant professor you might be, like good little lemmings in the boonies of North Carolina. Many of us have different opinions than you. No one has a lock on right or wrong, except maybe you. Apparently the left says that we are intolerant, ignorant and of course hateful (listen to the sheriff of Pima Co, Az). Diverse opinions (to the left) only means that the right has to recognize the leftist opinion. The left does not and will not recognize anything but their own ideas as valid. Diversity is apparently a one way street. I guess I would get a failing grade in your class, because I disagree with you. Gee.

Hmmmm. Wonder if that is going to happen if the fascists (brotherhood) takes over? Looks like the Egyptians will be duped, just as Hitler did to the Germans. Hitler would be so proud that the organization he helped organize, the Muslim Brotherhood, is alive and well in Egypt, and ready to take over a country, using deception, then brute force and intimidation to rule. I don’t think the people will be ruling, and the government obeying anytime soon in Egypt.

• kevin childers February 8, 2011 at 10:26 am #

Your comment: Suddenly, the very way of life you rail against, fascism, will fill that void as it did in Iran. The govt. will in fact tell the people what to do, how to do it, when to do it. The people will have no ability to tell the government anything. Well, they can, but they will be imprisoned or killed. Just like in Iran.

Iran is not a fascist country or nation. You see, Mr. Jones, you simply do not discern what fascism is. I attempted to describe it to you, but you obviously didn’t get it.

John Hagee, an evangelical minister in Houston TX came up with this feeble word – “Islamo-fascism”, which then former Prez Dubya Bush utilized to invade (2) countries.

What I want you to realize, Mr. Jones, is that any country that maximizes capitalistic, private enterprise in order to influence economic and political priorities of the state, are in fact, fascist.

Corporatist / State Capitalism = fascism
                You however choose to see “fascism” as only a means for people to be controlled by the state, which is correct, but at the same time, who is doing the controlling ? The answer is private corporate interests “directing” the State …

To compare Obama to Hitler is ludicrous.
                Show me one instance where Obama has used relentless propaganda and disinformation—that incite “spontaneous” acts against the target scapegoats, e.g. communists, socialists, liberals, Jews, ethnic and racial minorities, traditional national enemies, members of other religions, secularists, homosexuals, and “terrorists.”

The left does not and will not recognize anything but their own ideas as valid???
                Obviously, Mr. Jones, you have issues with anything other than “right-wing” ideology, am I wrong?

Yes, Debs was a socialist, and he was sentenced and imprisoned / hard labor, for charges of sedition against the US government under the Espionage Act of 1917, pushed forward by Wilson. Debs simply sowed seeds of resistance to Americans being sent to Europe to fight in WWI. But, realize that Wilson was the first president to fall prey to corporate interests, and who taxed Americans heavily in order to place military personnel in areas of the world, where American industrialists and capitalists wanted to take control of natural resources, etc.

Debs, I am proud to say, survived prison and while no longer the man he was beforehand, pushed for Americans to resist government control, authoritarianism and capitalistic wage-slavery.

Egyptians today are not free. And … you cannot say, Mr. Jones, that the current administration in Egypt is some sort of quasi-Weimar Republic, and therefore, you misunderstand the situation in various ways.

The Weimar Republic sought strong democratic elements of government, which Germans had never experienced under Monarchs or even with a so-called representative government in Berlin.

This constant right wing notion that Obama is a fascist and a communist and a socialist and a centralized governing authority … is ludicrous. Obama isn’t in control of America, nor are the American people … what is in control, is Corporate Interests which influence media, economics, politics, etc. Obama is in essence unaware of his own strings, which are attached to that capitalist hand which looms over the Western World like a dark and dreadful storm … as if the very Spirit … which when it speaks, things happen, and come into being … and that Spirit is now lurking over Egypt, of course, and the people there are in fact … protesting against it !!!!

• Christopher Jones February 8, 2011 at 11:17 am #

I am confused. YOU are the one who said Obama was in the upper right quadent.
                  As for Iran. If not fascist, what is it? Please educate us peons, professor.

I do not have a problem with other opinions. Not quite sure where you got that idea, other than I disagree with you. My disagreement would never, ever involve imprisonment or censorship, such as what was going on in the USSR and say…Venezuela. Oh, yes, isn’t Chavez a darling of the left, and a personal favorite of Obama?

As for what is going to probably happen in Egypt, I maintain that it is going to be a country ruled by a dictatorship, just like Iran. Still, I am really not the label guy. I don’t care what it is called, except it is WRONG. It would be wrong if Christians acted that way, and it will be wrong, if the Muslims take over and act that way. Again, you can call it what you wish.

As for likening Hitler to Obama, I pointed out that the during the election, some teachers had their students sing little ditties praising Obama and sounding like good little lemmings. Not something appropriate in a school setting. Then, there were the Obama kids…dressed in their little brown shirts, reminiscent of the Hitler youth, who wore similar uniforms. As for Obama attempting to incite people:, When he stated that while he did not have the details of the situation in (near) Boston, when his friend got arrested, “it is obvious that the police over reacted.” His administration also made a remarkably fast judgement against a federal employee from Georgia, regarding an alleged racial statement she made. Very much a rash judgement, in fact, which proved to be WRONG. OK, so those are two examples of disinformation you say never happened. Propaganda is taking an idea or concept and spinning it, to get out your message. And if you repeat that lie enough, and don’t get caught, that lie becomes the truth. Here, the target scapegoat in Massachusettes was the police. A favorite target of the left. Hmmmm. Wasn’t that a favorite target of Bill Ayers? Only he used bombs and such. Oh, isn’t he a buddy of Obama?

Fortunately, Obama was called on both issues, and while the so called media, who he mostly controls, and wants very much to control, gave him a pass on both issues very quickly. There is not a doubt in my mind that he would like to censor or eliminate opposing viewpoints.

Finally, we are partly in this mess because Bush did too little, in fighting the radical Muslims. Christians are now being killed in Iraq. Nice. We cozied up to the Saudi’s, who financed a lot of the terrorism. The Saudi’s think they will get a pass from the terrorists, which is bogus. They will be coming to us for help some day, but not until the great apologist Obama is out of office. Heck, why should we REALLY be attacked, when the radical Muslims pretty much have an open door into the US? When Obama is a bad memory, and we have a president who is not scared to stand up to the terrorists, they will strike again. The next time, they will bring chaos. No, we don’t need Neville Chamberlain in charge, as he continues to weaken us. 9/11 might well be looked at as a Sunday School picnic, compared to what I believe is coming. Tick tock, tick tock.

• kevin childers February 8, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Mr. Jones
                    I will be brief this time —

The key here is… you do not want to discuss this issue to its finer details. You want rather to repeat and continue the spreading of fear and paranoia.
                    Once it was the Indigenous Savages of the Great Plains, then, the Anarchists / Socialist Reformers, then the Nazi Fascists and then, the Red Menace … and today, the Radical Islamo-Fascists.

I read your blog and I see nothing more than doublespeak.

• Christopher Jones February 8, 2011 at 11:45 am #

No, I don’t think so. To quote one of my favorite movies

“…you can’t handle the truth.”

Typical response. Funny, too.

21. Ron Rico February 7, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

Good grief! In the simplest of terms, one only has to look at what happened in Iran when the Shah was deposed, or what happened to Iraq when the dictator was removed to know that no good can come by removing Mubarak. In both cases hundreds of thousands of people died. The citizens in Iran are not as free as they were under the Shah, and endure far more hardships. The citizens of Iraq live in fear and endure great hardships.

• kevin childers February 8, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Mr. Rico
      One – the Shah was a puppet dictator set up by an American coup of a democratically elected PM in the early 1950s. You ought to read up on why he was taken out by the CIA and Corporate interests!
      Two, the desposed Shah of course – then in power for almost as long as the current Egyptian head of state … did little to improve the lots of his own people.
      Three, the removal of Saddam Hussein was in fact an act of vendetta by G.W. Bush. When we see you-tube videos of Saddam shaking hands with former Def Sec (aka Generalfeldmarschall) Rumsfield, and knowing full and well that Prez Ron Reagan ordered the supplying of Iraq with weapons of destruction to fight the Iranians, leading to the deaths of millions ….. well … that speaks for itself

Mr. Rico – your concern for citizens of these countries is of course the primary element of this current blog I send as a reply. Why then does it surpise Americans that people resist authority, or control by others who do not want anything other than complete control of the state and the people? I say … take these dictators out … and allow people to decide what is in their own best interest … to pursue life, liberty and happiness, right ??

22. Ron Rico February 9, 2011 at 9:18 am #

Your response to my post failed to address my point. Are these people better off or worse off following the removal of the dictator? Do people know what’s good for them when led and manipulated by radicals?

There is very little difference between what obama now faces and what Carter faced back in the late 70s.

My hope is that there are fair, supervised elections this year to see what the majority of Egyptians want.

Please stick to your loosing discourse with Mr Jones, and leave my innocuous posts alone!

• Ron Kenerly February 9, 2011 at 10:10 am #

Mr. Rico you are absolutely correct and it could not have been stated any clearer. Are the Egyptian people going to be better off without Mubarak? I vote an emphatic NO.
      History has proven it in this type of atmosphere several times over in my lifetime. The prime examples that come to mind immediately is Bautista of Cuba, Noreiga in Panama, Perez of Venezuela, The Shah of Iran and Zalaya of Honduras…all well orchestrated moves by the US Government and the CIA for never to be disclosed political reasons. I was physically present when the overthrows of Noreiga, The Shah and Zalaya took place…and it is not pretty. With no exception, the citizenry were all under control and in fairly good states of life and had stable economies until these changes of power took place. Thereafter it was turmoil and it took a lot of lives and sweat to return the various countries back to some sibilance of a normal life. This treachery in my opinion is nothing more than powerful people messing in the lives of other people for personal gain of some sorts when it is none of their business, and the USA is famous the world over for doing just that.

• Christopher Jones February 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

Ron…took a bit of time to respond as I have been travelling a couple of days, and have to travel up to Marion NC soon, and points nearby to do some face to face business with some folks. Nevertheless, I had to laugh out loud when I saw your post.
      I feel like I am boxing with a ghost, when attempting to have any kind of reasonable and intelligent discourse with the fellow in question.

You would have thoroughly enjoyed the incredible speech by Usama Dakdok given in Viera, Florida, on Tuesday night. Usama is an Egyptian (not a Muslim however), who spoke for two hours in a room filled with people, where everyone was rivited to their seats. The whole premise of people looking for freedom and democracy is a smoke screen by the Muslim Brotherhood, and the outcome will be far worse for the Egyptian people than what they now have. I just don’t understand why or how anyone doesn’t understand this…

23. Ron Rico February 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

Thank you for your post Chris. Yes I believe I would have enjoyed Mr Dakdok’s speech.
    I

One would pray that any rational person would come to the exact same conclusion as in the final two sentences of your post!

24. Charles H. Dore February 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

I’ve been away; upon returning, “dialed-up” Marshall’s recent Blog. In reading the “discourse” between what appears to be the “left and the right”, I can only believe that if those thoughts were converted into energy, we’d have no more need for oil and coal – so much wailing reaps nothing!

Education does not equate to realistic thinking, and it’s quite evident that some of us are down-right fools and ignorant of the true course that’s changing the world! Those “citizens” of the middle eastern countries have lived in the desert in their mud huts for so long they wouldn’t know what a better life is, if ever acquired.

Should the people of Egypt gain a new “government”, it will undoubtedly be under the controll of the MB and be much like that of Iran. The majority of the people in these countries are uneducated and totally lacking in worldly in knowledge. A “new order” will equate to nothing better than that which they’ve known, or had for centuries!

With regards to the commitments of the USA; I don’t believe that we have the military or economic power to stand-up for anything including the method that the Egyptians use to “elect” a new government. The days of the USA influencing other peoples and their leadership is long past; we can’t take-care-of ourselves much less the interests of others.

Our future lies in a new entrenchment of ignoring world politics and policies and rebuilding our base here through the diligence that once made us a power that was respected. By “assisting” others through the UN, “donations” to the impoverished, and military actions that were for naught and haver cost us trillions over the years and more importantly the needless loss of many of our young citizens.

Since 1946 I can think of nothing that we’ve done or accomplished that has led to improvement in-lieu-of digression! We, veterans of WW II are often referenced as “the greatest generation”; I believe that we have been the worst, as we are the ones who raised those who have led us down the path in becoming a second rate nation. I reference the politicians and “new world” advocates who have prostituted our nation.

Look back over the past 55-years and advise me of a President who earned a positive position in history, or a worldly deed that we can appreciate as citizens of what used to be the foremost country in our universe!

We are in need of a strong leader who’s only interest is placing us again as the greatest nation both from the position of economics, quality of life and militarily safe. That should be our intended goal as once attained, if successful, it won’t matter what others feel or do with our interests.

Egypt and the rest of the muslin brotherhood can do what they may, as if we’re as mighty as we once were, we need no other country but ours to subsist in the manner we all want with peace and prosperity. Leadership is our future as it is with any venture!

Stop the quarrelsome bickering and set a goal that we can achieve by working together rather than attempting to impress others of your individual and profound intellect!

Charlie D.

25. Christopher Jones February 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

Charlie…
    First, as I do when I meet a WW2 vet., let me thank you for your service. My father flew a B-24 in the war, and I am sure he was greatly affected. The only recollection I have of his talking to us about his experiences, was that a plane right next to his (since they flew in a V, it would have been to the front of him I guess), was it was there one second, and gone the next. So, I am sure he was forever changed by the war.
    That being said, I see where you said you may have been the worst generation, not the greatest. I say, neither. I grew up with many who served in Viet Nam, and while I was in the service in those days, I did not serve there. Of the guys who returned home, and those that didn’t, I would say many could be considered to be of the greatest generation. As for the young men and women who now serve in our armed forces, I say, they could be considered to be of the greatest generation.
    I believe that it was your most sincere intention that my generation, and those that follow me, not experience the horrors you did. I believe that you wanted us to have a better life. The intentions were honorable, and good. There are many who bastardized your good intentions, and we now have people who run the country, who WANT us to be second rate, and WANT us to apologize to the world. I figure a lot of the world still owes us apologies…for say Pearl Harbor. But that is me. Now, even worse, we may well have a Muslim president, who wishes us to become a Muslim nation, and follow Shariah Law. Pretty scary, when you think about it.
    If it is not too late, we have no choice but to fight against this obamanation. The government should never be the ultimate decider of what we do, how we pray or do not pray, and they should not be our nanny state, stepping in to tell us how to eat, what to eat, how much to eat, and whether or not to salt our food. Good grief.

The situation in Egypt is tense, as I write this. Mubarek did not step down, and while that may not be the worst thing for the Egyptians, we probably will see fighting and violence when the morning comes there. The Saudi’s know that their Kingdom is at risk, and this may carry over there. That goes for Jordan, and many of the other Mid East countries. Israel must be as worried as they have ever been since 1948.
    I am hopeful that in a weird way, the “revolution” started a bit too early in Egypt. Obama has been opening the door for the Muslims to take over here, and has done nothing to stop them. However, it is too early for that to happen. We will not stand for that. Can you imagine Hillary Clinton sitting still for Shariah Law? Or Nancy Pelosi? We may have some strange alliances coming up in the future.
    We are in need of a strong leader who can do all the things you say. Unfortunately, we don’t have one, and our constitution requires we wait it out for two more years. This is so frustrating, it will keep a lot of people up at night, especially during this Mid east crisis. I have to rely on prayer, as I don’t know what else I can do, other than comment on forums such as this, and try to spread the word as to what is going on.
    Again, Charlie, you are not part of the worst generation, just part of a generation who loved their kids, grandkids and great grand kids, and wanted better for them. I do to.
    Chris J

26. Charles H. Dore February 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Chris,

I never stated that those of WW II were the “greatest generation”; it is now many referenced them.

Had we done our jobs, there would have been no Korea and those who were forced to fight with antiquated equipment and inadequate clothing and the initial introduction to the new “rules of engagement”. I thank the fact that I refused that $100.00 to join the “Inactive Reserves” and would have been called to that foray that proved nothing but how to unnecessarily lose American lives.

Those who served in Vietnam should be revered, but if we had leadership, we’d never have been there. More politics by Kennedy and Johnson! Again, those who served were gallant, brave, and misunderstood. They were in a thankless position that was for naught, especially the 50,000 men lost and others maimed.

We no better off in the mid-East; another senseless debacle instituted by our “political leaders” that too will prove to be for naught!

Chris, reevaluate my wandering statements that can be summed-up several ways: 1. The last 55-years have been the worst for our country.
    2. We lack leadership.
    3. We haven’t the ability to suggest to others how they should act.
    4. We’re close to becoming a “3rd World Nation”.
    5. It’s we who have buried our head in the sand.

I could go on and list hundreds of of ill-conceived things that have occurred with no promise for betterment. My Grand-children really have nothing that they can look towards in a positive vain; we’ve let them nothing to build upon!

Charlie D.

27. Christopher Jones February 11, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Charlie…I cannot or will not dispute anything you wrote. It was the left wing oriented news media that coined that phrase about the “greatest generation.” I just didn’t want you and your generation to think yours is what screwed everything up.

I guess if I was to pick a greatest generation, I would go back to the time when we became a country…because they could have given us a king, which fortunately we decided against.

Like you, I wonder what my grandkids are going to have to deal with. It will take
    a lot of work before we depart…