THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS

Christmas is in the eyes of the beholder.

It means different things to different people, but all those things stem from one common denominator: Love.

To much of the world, Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of a child who Christians believe to be the son of God. Without that fundamental reality, there would never have been any such thing as Christmas.

To another great part of the world, even among people who do not call themselves Christians, Christmas means a national holiday when family and friends can come together at least one time of the year and look each other in the eyes and say “I love you.”

It is a time for children of all races, faiths and nationalities to anticipate fun, attention, toys, and to witness the family experience at its height. It’s also a time for mythical characters, like Santa and Rudolf.

It is a time of giving, whether it be gifts, food or expressions of love and appreciation.

It is a time of good music and jolly spirits.

It is a great time for retailers to boost the economy and reap the rewards of good business.

It is a time of sparkling lights and spectacular decorations

It is a time to knock off the hate and bring in the love.

I am not a Christian, but I enjoy the Christmas experience, and the love it fosters across the globe.

The utterance “Merry Christmas” has waned in recent years in favor of politically correct terms such as Happy Holidays. This is so we don’t “offend” anyone of another faith. Is that not ridiculous.

So, it’s time for other faiths to get over it. Christmas is a good thing, not a bad thing. And the phrase brings much joy and gladness to the hearts of millions. It doesn’t matter if you translate Christmas to a religious experience, love experience or a shopping experience, it’s here to stay.

To all my friends and readers, I want to say thanks for all your indulgence and your  fabulous insights via the thousands of comments posted on these pages during the last three years.  Sometimes we agree to disagree, but that’s the beauty of free thinking and eclectic minds. Please, keep them coming.

Free speech will one day vanish if we stop exercising it.

And…a Merry Christmas to everyone — whether you like it or not.

Click here: GOPUSA » In The Loop » You can’t say ‘Merry Christmas’

31 Responses to THE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS

1. Brenda Homefield-Rosenzweig December 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm #

Merry Christmas to you,too Marshall !
    Your Christmas message somehow cracked me up. I don’t often L.O.L; but your last comment really did it ! So thanks very much, (from a Hanukkah person) !
    B

2. cathy stanton December 23, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

Marshall – This was a nice, fuzzy message – until you started with “Get over it” again.
    People ARE sensitive about their holidays, and Christmas came out of the Saturnalia anyway. So why don’t we just say Happy Saturnalia, or Gud Jul, which worked fine for pre Christians in the northern countries of Europe.

Bless the Goddess of the North, who brings the winter winds, snow, floods and mudslides. No?

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Best, Cathy

3. Emil December 23, 2010 at 11:36 pm #

Merry Christmas Marshall!

4. Ed Hensley December 24, 2010 at 12:51 am #

Appreciate your efforts to restore sanity to the Christmas Season Marshal.
    Merry Christmas to you, yours & to All. If you think your rant is long, see >

A Jewish Pox on the PC “Holiday” Tree
    Posted on December 23, 2010 by Guest Writer

And a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New year to you too!

Ed

5. Felicia Katz-Taylor December 24, 2010 at 1:02 am #

Jesus is the light of the world 365 days, and we should keep the decorative
    lights up, and never take them down. As a Messianic I don’t see how Jesus was
    born at this time of the year. However, I will celebrate like it is, but it doesn’t
    matter if we know the real date of his birth, because he is the reason for an
    every day celebration.
    Americans celebrate the New Year January 1st. Messianic Jews celebrate the
    New Year from the Biblical scripture, and the Angel of Death will Passover the
    houses, that have the blood on the door posts, and then it was a new beginning, a
    New Year, which is at the end of March begining of April. Then we have the
    Reformed, Conservative, Orthodox and Chasidic Jews, and they celebrate the
    New Year between September and October and why? In Hebrew we do not have
    numbers, as the Hebrew Alphabet stands for numerical numbers. The Hebrew
    date on the calendar Tishrei B’A was unscrambled by the Kabbalistic Mystic Jews,
    and the word became Berisheet, which translates to “In the Beginning”, which
    means to these Jews the Beginning of the New Year (Rosh Hashanah).
    I want to wish everyone a Healthy and Happy “Messiahmas” and New Year.

6. Marcy December 24, 2010 at 3:49 am #

Merry Christmas, Marshall!!

7. Frank December 24, 2010 at 6:27 am #

Merry Christmas Marshall and Suzanne. Hope to see you over the holidays on one of our transits.

8. Tom R. December 24, 2010 at 7:35 am #

I’m pretty sure that Jesus was not born on December 25th! And He would be appalled at anyone tying Him to this date. See http://michaelrood.tv/teachings/truth-and-tradition

9. Dr. Jamie Marlowe December 24, 2010 at 8:03 am #

Marshall, I’ve already said those words to you….but, hey, here it is again…..Merry Christmas to you my friend.

10. Dave Creelman December 24, 2010 at 8:32 am #

WHAT? Santa and Rudolph are myths? You have ruined my Christmas! LOL

MERRY CHRISTMAS

11. Jacqueline Pradel December 24, 2010 at 8:40 am #

Hi Marshall,

Thanks! very good insight…Very true and to the point. I personally believe that God, Jesus, or whatever we want to call it, lives in our consciencious hearts and our actions from the Love that we experience as humans.. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends.

12. Eulaine December 24, 2010 at 9:28 am #

Thanks for sharing, Marshall. I enjoyed the article.

13. Christopher Jones December 24, 2010 at 9:45 am #

As I pack up to travel to see kids, grand kids, and my mother, I say Merry Christmas to you Marshall, your family, and to all others out there. I ALWAYS say Merry Christmas. When I picked up a new truck yesterday, and the Onstar lady said happy holidays, I countered with Merry Christmas. She took no offense that I know of.

I am quite certain that Jesus was not born on December 25th. We do not know what day he was born, but I am CERTAIN, that Jesus is happy we try to calm down a bit, chill, and celebrate a day…pick a day, that shows the birth of the Savior of mankind. For those who think Jesus might be appalled that it happens to be the 25th of Dec, well, glad to know you have a direct connection to the great I AM, and frankly, I would like to know just how you did that.

So, for everyone…
    MERRY CHRISTMAS, whether you like the specific date or not.

Chris Jones, reformed heathen, work in progress Christian, southern by the grace of God (and my choice), but headed to the cold cold north for the holidays.

14. Fred Schlafly December 24, 2010 at 10:07 am #

Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to all.

15. Larry Millus,NYPD (Ret.) December 24, 2010 at 10:21 am #

Last night my family and I watched the movie a Christmas Story. I love this time of year. Christianity is a religion of love and peace. I wish you and your family love, peace and a Merry Christmas.

16. John K December 24, 2010 at 10:28 am #

Marshall: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from our family to yours. Since we are all sensative to being “politically correct” I have herein covered both bases. Please excuse my bringing politics into this discussion but I just could not help myself.

To All My Democrat Friends:
    Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To My Republican Friends:
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

• Ed Hensley December 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

Stealing John K.’s Politically Correst Holiday Wishes, for email & fb.
      Thanks John & Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! ~ Ed Hensley

17. Thomas G. Pletcher December 24, 2010 at 11:03 am #

Hi Marshall and a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to you and your family. I thought your comments were so very true and I forward all your messages to about 12-15 friends. We all appreciate all your efforts to help keep democracy alive and well and I’m sure it seems like an endless effort faced with our current government, but I know you will not give up. Thanks again, Tom

18. Jan van Waardenburg December 24, 2010 at 11:44 am #

OF COURSE IT IS
    MERRY CHRISTMAS MARSHALL ! ! ! ! !
    JAN

19. Tina (Lil Sis) December 24, 2010 at 11:59 am #

Thank you for all our years of friendship….Merry Christmas with Love.

20. saverio barbieri December 24, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

Hey Sherlock,
    Well Said. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.
    Figaro

21. Kay Williamson December 24, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

Nice article, Marshall. Hope you and yours have a wonderful New Year!

22. Carol Brinkley December 24, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

Dear Marshall:
    We were so happy to see this Christmas message from you. When you get to
    our age you want to share the love you have with everyone, not just a select few.
    It doesn’t matter how you say it, it’s an expression that doesn’t cost anything.
    My friend called me from Portugal this morning and the first thing she said was
    It’s so good to hear your voice on this glorious day “CHRISTMAS EVE”. It almost
    made me cry. So thank the Lord you are here and praise him by saying
    Merry Christmas to all.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Love Carol and Bobby

23. Charles H. Dore December 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

AS USUAL, MARSHAL, YOU’VE SAID IT ALL IN A CORRECT MANNER AND TERMS…
    MERRY CHRISTMAS, OR WHATEVER YOU’RE CELEBRATING…CHARLIE

24. Reed&Judy December 24, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

You are spot on as usual, Marshall. Merry Chriatmas and a happy new year to you and Suzanne from
    Reed and Judy

25. George Lipton December 24, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

Tom Pletcher forwarded your message. It is the perfect Christmas message. Tom also loaned me your book, From Violins to Violence. I read it in two days and loved it.
    I have the utmost respect for police officers. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

George

26. Christopher Jones December 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

This may put people in the Christmas spirit.

And WOW…Felicia…I used to live off of Rockledge Drive in Rockledge. My cousin still lives there. Merry Christmas girl. Hope it is warmer there than in Spartanburg SC, where I am now. (We are expecting a major snow storm here).

Merry Christmas, Y’all.

• Felicia Katz-Taylor December 25, 2010 at 5:35 pm #

Hi Chris,
      When I was 12 years old in New York City, I was trying to figure out how to eventually move to Brevard County. I remember coming home
      from school, and my feet were almost frozen, and my Mom would give
      me hot Oatmeal. I cannot eat Oatmeal now, it reminds me of cold feet! I
      remember she would be watching soap operas, and I would see
      young people romping on the beach, and I felt sorry for myself! At
      the Grocery stores; A&P and Grand Union, and Key Food and
      Waldbaums, they had oranges and grapefruits stamped Indian River.
      I remember I watched I Dream of Jeannie, and they mentioned
      Cocoa Beach, and also the Astronauts blasting off from the Space
      Center provoked me to find this area. Well, I first came down here in
      1976, and a few Employers told me that I was too aggressive. I took
      myself back to New York, and did not come back till the late 80’s, and I
      said to myself I am going to find a Southern Gentleman to marry,
      because I knew it takes the Northerners at least 2-3 times going back
      and forth, before they decide to stay in the south, and I did not want to
      go back anymore. Well, 22 years ago I was born again, and became a
      Jew for Jesus, and G-d found me my Husband!
      Another good thing in the 80’s, Employers liked my aggressiveness!

The weather here will be in the 20’s on Mon. and Tues. and Wed.
      morning. However, Praise G-d we do not have snow or mudslides.

Merry Christmas,

Felicia

27. Larry Epstein December 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

Hey, you old fiddle shpieler pal of my youth,

I may be tardy, but I’m comfortable enough in my level of Judaism to wish you, Miss Vivian’s dear son, though not a Christian, and your beloved Suzanne, a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year. You and I have known each while 57 New Year’s Eves have come and gone, my old friend.

The Youngest Vagabond

28. Joe December 27, 2010 at 9:22 am #

Marshall, Karen and I hope that you and Suzanne had a very Merry Christmas and a GREAT New Year. Thank you for another years worth of exceptional writing and a wonderful Christmas message.

29. Bobbie; of Earline December 27, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

Lovely article Marshall. The peace that dwells in me wishes you and yours peace, joy and love.