ATHEIST ACTIVISTS: GET OVER IT

Some atheists do all they can to wreck whatever respect they might have garnered over the years.

I am not a Christian, I am not religious, I follow no organized faith. I think atheists have as much right to not believe in God as theists have to believe. Most atheists (and agnostics) live quiet, decent lives, work hard, pay taxes, send their kids to schools and are basically kind and good to others.

Then, there are the idiots who just have to show their posteriors.

This year, the American Atheists Group has paid $20,000 to erect a sign on the New Jersey Turnpike which states in large letters: “You KNOW it’s a myth; This season, celebrate REASON.” The sign also depicts the three wise men on camels as a silhouette arriving at the manger. Now, what is that supposed to accomplish?

The president of the group, David Silverman, stated that their purpose was to attract closet atheists to come out of the closet. He also made challenging remarks such as, “If the religious right wants a war on Christmas, this is what they’re going to get.” Huh?

Just what we need in America, when a stealth Jihad is in process around the world that intends on destroying our nation from within, and we have a group of American ninnies that want to draw a line in the sand against a religion that represents two billion people.

Does Mr. Silverman have any real expectations that this sign will influence so much as a single Christian from believing in Christ to believing in nothing? If he does, I have some chunks of the planet Uranus to sell him cheap, because that’s where those chunks came from. (Pronounce it).

If it will never influence a single Christian to convert, then what else will the group have achieved other than alienating thousands, or millions, of good Americans who love their families, who fight our wars, who serve our nation and provide relief to millions of hungry, diseased and oppressed people around the globe? All they are brewing is hatred, the very disease they claim they are fighting.

While there are always exceptions, Christians are peaceful and loving human beings. I frequently play music for the elderly at assisted living facilities at Christmas, and I happily play Christmas carols for sing-alongs, just to see the joy and happiness it brings to the faces of the aged.

Sure, Christmas is a commercial holiday as well. That’s life in a capitalistic society. But it also provides a catalyst for bringing families together at least one time a year so they can show they love each other. Tell me what is wrong with that.

So, atheist activists, I have a suggestion: Get over it. Learn to love religious people as much as you love non-religious people. It doesn’t hurt, I promise.

Maybe you could better have appropriated that $20,000 by providing a scholarship to some disadvantaged student. You’d score a lot more points that way.

Click here: Atheists’ ad blitz calls Christmas a myth – NorthJersey.com

23 Responses to ATHEIST ACTIVISTS: GET OVER IT

1. Robert L. Elliott December 23, 2010 at 8:51 pm #

I KNEW AN ATHEIST ONCE AND HE WAS A CLOSE FRIEND WHO ALWAYS MADE A POINT OF TELLING ME THAT I WAS SUCH A MORON TO BELIEVE SUCH TRASH. ONE DAY AS WE WERE WORKING TOGETHER A WHEEL OF A BOX CAR ROLLED UPON HIS HAND AND AS WE WERE TRYING OUR BEST TO FREE WHAT WAS LEFT OF HIS HAND ALL WE COULD HEAR WAS HIM SCREAMING OUT CONTINUALLY, “GOD HAVE MERCY, GOD HAVE MERCY”
    MY FRIEND NEVER TOLD ME AGAIN THAT I WAS A MORON FOR BELIEVING IN GOD.

2. Dave Rivers December 23, 2010 at 8:52 pm #

I seem to recall a saying, “There are no atheist in foxholes”. Just a thought.

3. Bill Solen December 23, 2010 at 8:54 pm #

I’m a Christian and I believe in God. I also believe that our Constitution allows non believers to communicate their beliefs wherever they wish. Like you stated, a believer is not going to suddenly change to a non believer because of this dribble.

By the way according to their own literature a disadvantaged student can get a scholarship ONLY if he/she is a young atheist activist.

I’ll pray for them.

4. Jack December 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

If this is the Silverman I know, he was instrumental in getting South Carolina to eliminate the part of their constitution that specified that the governor must believe in God.

5. Jan von Waardenburg December 23, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

Very well said(as usual)
    Jan

6. Ernest Melby December 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

I am not one who can accept all that religions put out as truths. However, I can’t imagine that there isn’t something in the universe, like maybe a god, that we just don’t understand.
    Atheism is a religion also. If it were not, they wouldn’t try to convert people to their beliefs. They often are just as dogmatic as a religous cult.

7. The Infinite Writer December 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm #

I have one comment: Jesus is the REASON for the season. Happy Holidays you all.

8. Marvin Wiley December 23, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

Andy Rooney says “Pray if you want to …”

CBS and Katie Couric et al must be in a panic and rushing to reassure the White House that this is not network policy.

Folks, this is the year that we RE-TAKE AMERICA & CANADA
    ********* Get Ready *********

Keep this going around the globe. Read it and forward every time you receive it. We can’t give up on this issue.

Andy Rooney and Prayer

Andy Rooney says:

I don’t believe in Santa Claus, but I’m not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I don’t agree with Darwin , but I didn’t go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his Theory

of Evolution.

Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game. So what’s the big deal? It’s not like somebody is up there reading the entire Book of Acts. They’re just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the players on the field and the fans going home from the game.

But it’s a Christian prayer, some will argue.

Yes, and this ! is the United States of America and Canada , countries founded on Christian principles. According to our very own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others better than 200-to-1. So what would you expect — somebody chanting Hare Krishna?

If I went to a football game in Jerusalem , I would

expect to hear a Jewish prayer.

If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad , I would expect

to hear a Muslim prayer.

If I went to a ping pong match in China , I would expect

to hear someone pray to Buddha.

And I wouldn’t be offended. It wouldn’t bother me one bit.

When in Rome ….

But what about the atheists? Is another argument.

What about them? Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We’re not going to pass the collection plate. Just humor

us for 30 seconds. If that’s asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer!

Unfortunately, one or two will make that call. One or two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do. I don’t think a short prayer at a football game is going to shake the world’s foundations.

Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating, to pray before we go to sleep. Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a handful of people and their lawyers are telling us to cease praying.

God, help us. And if that last sentence offends you, well, just sue me.

The silent majority has been silent too long. It’s time we tell that one or two who scream loud enough to be heard that the vas! t majority doesn’t care what they want. It is time that the majority rules! It’s time we tell them, “You don’t have to pray; you don’t have to say the Pledge of Allegiance; you don’t have to believe in God or attend services that honor Him. That is your right, and we will honor your right; but by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away. We are fighting back, and we

WILL WIN!”

God bless us one and all … Especially those who

denounce Him, God bless America and Canada , despite all our faults. We are still the greatest nations of all. God bless our service men who are fighting to protect our

right to pray and worship God.

Let’s make 2010 the year the silent majority is heard and we put God back as the foundation of our families and institutions. And our military forces come home from all the wars.

Keep looking up.

Marry Christmas to you all

9. Lee Martines December 23, 2010 at 9:02 pm #

I happen to be an Atheist, and proud that I have the intelligence to weigh all the options and choose the one that best suits my needs. In general, I feel that religion is more of a superstitious crutch for those who cannot face life head-on, but I will defend the right of everyone to believe as they wish. The tenets of many religions are simply those that any civilized society should adopt for themselves, and the charity of many religions are renowned. It’s common knowledge that differences in religious beliefs have also been the cause of the majority of war and suffering in the world. I agree with Marshall’s article that the postings by the American Atheists Group serve no valid purpose, and the money could have been spent in a more productive manner, but at the same time, any Atheist organization should be able to advertise just as a church or religious entity does. I live what I consider to be a decent, honest life, and do not attempt to convert my friends and aquaintances to my beliefs. I only ask the same of those who believe in religion, specifically Christians to keep your beliefs to yourself and not bother me by attempting to make me believe what you do.

10. Felicia Katz-Taylor December 23, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

First of all Religion is man-made. G-d
    wants a relationship with us.
    David Silverman, who is blinded by the
    fact of so-called “religion” needs to find
    the true G-d of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and he was probably one of my many Jewish
    “Mishpocha” (family), who voted for Obama.
    I am a Messianic Jew, who has accepted Jesus
    “Yeshua”, which is his Hebrew Name, translated into English meaning Savation.
    Jesus was born in Bethlehem, and if you
    break down the meaning of this Hebrew
    word, Beth translates to House, and Lechem,
    translates to Bread, because He is our “Bread”. Jesus was born in a Manger, which translated into Hebrew means cave. You see we buried our Jewish ancestors in
    caves, and they were wrapped in swaddling
    cloth, and this is the way Jesus came in to
    the world “set up to die”, and for what?
    To cover our sins. In Jesus, there is no
    Jew or Gentile, we are one in the Messiah
    with no wall of Partition, and we need to
    come together as one under his Blood before
    it is too late. For example, people said,
    Jesus was coming soon a century ago, which
    caused people to stumble and fall away from the faith. He could not have come back then,
    because the Bible clearly states that Israel
    had to come back into fruition, which was 1948, and the Roman Empire had to be raised
    up again, which it is almost in its true form,with the E.C., and a few things to be changed with it. Jesus is the only reason
    for the season! I Pray for a Hedge of
    Protection for our American Military, and
    Israeli Military, and any other Nation Military, who are helping us to find this war against Islamic Terrorism. I Pray for a
    Hedge of Protection for us at all our Borders. May G-d give us wisdom and discernment in these hard times.
    opportunity to express myself.
    Shalom,
    Felicia Katz-Taylor

11. Dave Creelman December 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Extremism in any form is not good. The only religion or belief system that I can think of that is extreme at the expense of others is militant Islamic teachings. They don’t believe in “live and let live.”

12. Jack Leary December 23, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to ALL.

13. Larry Mathieson December 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

Some don’t seem to understand the distinction between God and religion. I don’t believe in religion but I do believe in God. Religion is the way that humans choose to worship their god, and of course there are many variations.

In my way of thinking, saying there is no God or the force of a creator is like two fleas denying the existence of the dog on which they are living. It exists whether we acknowledge it or not. I had a very interesting discussion with several folks recently on this topic. Think about this for a second.

Factually we know there is a universe. No argument there I assume. In order for there to be a universe, then there is one inescapable fact which we must accept logically and scientifically. That being that there are some things that have always existed, or, there is someone who created the elements which form the basis of the universe. Either way, we must accept that there are somethings that have always existed.

This is a concept that our limited brains have a difficult time wrapping themselves around. We tend to think in terms of linear (start, stop – beginning, ending) as opposed to abstract reasoning when dealing with most issues of this nature. “If there is a God, where did he come from?”, for example.

Like the elements that created the universe, I believe that God is a being that has always existed. In theory, God may be the universe and when we die, we become a part of that universe for eternity, hence eternal life. We are learning about new and unexplained phenomena in the universe all the time. A universe that goes on to infinity, another concept we can’t comprehend.

Given the expanse and wonder of all this, there should be room for everyone’s belief system, no matter how wrong it might be!!! Merry Christmas one and all.

14. The Infinite Writer December 23, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

This has been a very interesting topic. I appreciate all the individual points of view, but I’ll admit that I’m most partial to Andy Rooney’s philosophy, “When in Rome. . .” Ben Stein has the same philosophy which I published in the December of 2009 issue of TIW. We are all brothers/sisters under the skin and this special season serves as a constant reminder that we are to “Love One Another.” “Let there peace on earth and let it begin with me. . .”

15. Joyce Hinds December 23, 2010 at 9:09 pm #

Hi, Marshall, I am a Christian and I agree with many of the previous comments. I am just wondering if the athiests are feeling left out and forgotten since there is so much dialogue going on about Christian VS Muslim. What better way to remind us and get us up in arms again than to spend twenty thousand on a billboard! It seems to be working.

Merry Christmas

16. Lee Martines December 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm #

Note to Marvin Wiley:
    The piece that you have quoted is incorrectly attributed to Andy Rooney, just as it has been to Paul Harvey and Samuel Thompson. In actuality, it is an excerpt of a longer piece written by Nick Gholson, who is a sports writer for the Times Record News in Wichita Falls, Texas.

17. Christopher Jones December 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

TO Laura: Athiesm is no threat to me, and not a threat to “so many people” UNLESS the threat is that they may demand I agree with them. If they do not wish to believe in anything, fine. Still, I wonder: How in various lands, all over the world, to people who never met each other, never communicated with each other, was the conclusion made that a Deity existed? Different names, same concept. The Cherokee developed the One God concept before Christ appeared. Kinda neat. Or is all this just superstitious mega coincidence?

Solomon…(remember reading about him?) was told by God not to be marrying all those women (dude had 700 wives…wow…how did he remember their names), because it would dilute or compromise his relationship with God. Solomon was told not to be unequally yoked, so to speak, because you cannot honor the one true God, if you give tribute to gods…idols…etc. God told Solomon that if he disobeyed, God’s protection of Solomon’s people would be lifted.
    I kinda think we are in that mess right now. We are compromising right and left. We are saying that sin is not sin, that it is all subjective. Right is no longer right, and wrong not wrong. Modern idols are money, stuff, more stuff, and whoever has the most stuff. Our country is spiraling down faster than the Hindenburg, and business no longer cares about what they make, rather how much money they make. We are headed to a second recession, and almost half the states think the Fed Govt is going to bail them out, as they hit the bottom. No one will stop spending, and it is all about “stuff”.

Except for the people in a little town in Ohio, called Wilmington. Read about it. Google it. This tiny ink spot on the map has decided they cannot survive and prosper by themselves any more…they have as a community, turned to God.

More coincidence? Hmmmm.

Felicia probably has it more right than anyone else. I have met others (and their number grows daily), who have become Messianic Jews, and it is tough to find more intelligent folks to talk to. There are virtually entire churches in our country made up of these folks who have come to believe that Jesus is indeed the Messiah. And I have never heard any hate come out of those churches. I have heard some pretty smarmy things come out of others regarding them, however, just as I hear hate coming out of radical Muslims mouths, and some atheists.

Tell the athiest in Joisey to look at his billboard, and see who is the hateful one.

18. Darrell December 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm #

Thank God, or whoever you want to thank, that you never write about controversial subjects. Keep ’em comin’. And to all the Christians out here; Merry Christmas. To the rest of you, enjoy the winter season!

19. Cathy Stanton December 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm #

Too bad you missed an excellent talk Sunday by a true aetheist, who tried to explain how a teenager became the mother of God. As a real theologian, she presented some really fascinating indepth concepts of the chronology throughout the centuries dealing with the socalled virgin birth, and why Mary’s child came to be called divine.

You love to stir up the hornets, M, but some of your friends are aetheists (or were). There are also the humanists and agnostics.

I love the part about not belonging to an organized religion. Is that what you think of the Unitarian Universalists? Good G_D!

20. Ron Rico December 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

What’s disturbing to me is the very small minority of the populace is able to dictate that the word Christmas is not acceptable. Christmas is both a religious and secular holiday. I have had several conversations with business managers and owners who use the word holiday in place of the word Christmas. I find that offensive. I believe a poor business decision is one that offends a majority and appeases a minority!

21. Dr. Jamie Marlowe December 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm #

Simple…..I’m Christian…Merry Christmas. God, thank you for the birth of your Son so that he may continue to be the remission of my sins. Merry Christmas everyone..

22. Ron Kenerly December 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm #

Mr. Rico, well stated…and enough said.
    When the majority has to bow to the few, then we got it backwards..

23. Brenda Homefield-Rosenzweig December 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm #

This morning, I went to visit the grave site of my youngest son. Twenty-five years to the day, when he lost his valiant struggle.
    Now, my three grandsons range in age from the date of my nine yr.old’s diagnosis, till his death 18 months later, a couple months before his eleventh birthday…

So I ask, was this nightmare part of some divine plan-a plan that my brain is ill equipped to comprehend? OR, was this short life just a meaningless statistic, you know, some law of probability, having nothing to do with a supreme being, a divine intelligence,or,a god by any label will suffice.

I truly don’t give a hoot as to whether or not you have a religious belief or whether you believe you are here due to some “accident” of evolving from the sea. You see it really doesn’t matter what you believe or don’t believe…1)Once we die we’ll know a wee bit more or, 2) there is absolutely NOTHING, in which case, why worry? After you’re gone, you’d be nothing more OR less, then when you got here!

Worry Instead, (and I do), that the quality of life for the children now living, yet to join these “debates”, are going to have a dreadful life if it turns into a life on earth, without LIBERTY. If we continue to deny the EXISTENCE of RADICAL ISLAM, and its impact on the Free World, then debating about Religion, about God yes, or God no, will be a moot point. Because, if we succumb to the intolerance of Sharia Law, one must be either Sharia Compliant, or, very dead. That is something I for one will not tolerate, on behalf of all the kids who still have their lives to live.
    Amen