CHRISTIAN TOLERANCE AND ISLAM

I don’t post these articles because I’m a Christian. I’m not a Christian. But I am a lover of Christians in general, my kids are all Christians. I see Christians doing good and generous things for millions of downtrodden all over the world, no matter their religion. Christian ministries feed the poor and hungry and provide medical aid to women and children all over Africa, Asia and South America. I don’t see the Muslims doing that for anyone other than Muslims.

Sure, some Christian ministries proselytize, but so what. They are helping the disadvantaged, rather than sitting by and doing nothing. They are there out there – by the thousands — at their own sacrifice to feed and care for suffering.

I am also a lover of Jews and Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists and Hindu, or any group of people who are content to practice their faith in freedom without imposing dogma upon others, and with respect for the faiths of others. It’s not about tolerance. It’s about respect.

“Tolerance” pertains to putting up with what you don’t like. We tolerate traffic jams and rude people. “Respect,” in contrast, refers to showing honor and esteem.A good friend told me that Muslims were “the salt of the earth.” I wish I could feel the same, but I’m hard pressed. All I see around the world from the Islamic faith is dogma. In countries where the numbers become the majority, it is more than dogma, it is intimidation, fear and often times, violence against non-Muslims. Wherever the Muslim numbers become the majority, the radical fringes become more emboldened and non-Muslims become more and more subjugated. That’s supported in all the history books.

Thus, we are now in a position to “tolerate” Islam, because…like a traffic jam, we might not have a choice as they grow into more significant population numbers in the U.S. But it doesn’t mean I have to respect them, any more than they respect me.The Imams of Islam demand “tolerance.”  But the track record for practicing what they preach is pretty dismal. They claim they are a religion of peace, but that track record is equally as dismal. So, permit my cynicism.

When I see thousands of Muslim groups traveling to India, to feed the Hindu, or to Zimbabwe to feed heal the Christians, and the level of fear and threats of violence comes to a halt around the world, I’ll start seeing Islam in a different light. Until then, I make no apologies for my absence of respect.

A Christian reader send me these links as a sample of recent Islamic tolerance around the world. Worth checking them out. This is a short log during a three-week period this summer, July 29 to Aug 19:

Pakistan
A dozen masked men shot five Christians to death as they came out of their church building.

Morocco (Hat tip to JihadWatch)
The Morocco king says that Evangelical Christians must stop preaching or get out of the country.

August 2, 2010

Bangladesh
Two Christian families suffer extortion and beatings.August 6, 2010
Zanzibar
Officials stop a church from being built and build a mosque instead.August 7, 2010

Afghanistan
Eight foreigners and two Afghans of the International Assistance Mission (IAM), a Christian charitable organization providing aid and medical assistance to the Afghan people were killed by the Taliban. Details HERE. August 8, 2010

Indonesia
In the latest jihad attacks on religious minorities in West Java, 300 Islamic hard-liners intimidated, bullied and assaulted a priest and 20 Christian churchgoers praying in a field on Sunday morning.August 9, 2010

Somalia (hat tip to JihadWatch)
A Somali militant group with links to al-Qaida on Monday announced it had banned three Christian aid agencies.August 10, 2010

Maldives
Christians can’t have Bibles or religious literature in this Muslim country.August 11, 2010

Saudi Arabia
Al Qaeda says kill the Christians and Jews.

Malaysia
More closures of non-Muslim religious clubs in Malaysian schools, including Christian fellowships, have surfaced.August 12 2010

Pakistan
Christians observed a ‘Black Day’ of protest yesterday to mark the many discriminations they endure, above all the blasphemy law, which continues to inflict suffering on its victims.August 13, 2010

Indonesia (Hat tip to JihadWatch)
Mob threats lead to church closure. Update HERE.

Algeria (Hat tip to JihadWatch)
A group of Christian and Muslims from Algeria, Morocco and Italy are planning a pilgrimage in the footsteps of St. Augustine. One of their intentions is that “Muslims who have heard the call of the Lord Jesus should not be prohibited from entering the Church.” This refers to some episodes in France and Algeria, where many Muslims who wanted to be baptized, have been impeded by priests and bishops, fearful of the consequences and overly precautious.

Malaysia
Two Muslim youths are sentenced to five years in prison for an arson attack on a Christian church. August 14, 2010

Egypt
An imam called for jihad against the Copts, and over the next two days, many Copts were assaulted.August 16, 2010

Pakistan
Rapes of Christian girls reflect a hidden trend as they are commonplace but rarely reported.

Lebanon
Shia-controlled Al-Manar and NBN networks pull Iranian series based on an apocryphal story about Jesus in which Judas dies in his place.Nigeria (Hat tip to Jihad Watch)
Muslim students of the University of Ibadan this morning paralysed activities during a protest against the institution’s refusal to expel a part four law student who preached gospel in the school mosque.

Somalia
The tiny Christian population is regularly persecuted by Islamic extremists so they are asking Christians worldwide to pray for their safety during Islam’s holy month of Ramadan.

Indonesia
The country that is home to the world’s largest Muslim population celebrated its 65th Independence Day today amid a widespread sense of distrust in the government’s ability to check attacks on churches by Islamist groups.August 19, 2010

August 17, 2010

Egypt
The head of the Coptic Church in Egypt has warned followers that the police in the country are wiretapping their calls and said they should not confess sins over the phone.

Zanzibar
Christian university students have been denied the right to worship, while on another part of the island, a Christian leader has been jailed.

Produced by Political Islam.comPublisher: Bill Warner; Edited by Asma Marwan

17 Responses to CHRISTIAN TOLERANCE AND ISLAM

1. Jan van Waardenburg September 14, 2010 at 7:57 am #

WELL SAID.
    I feel at ease and even in somr degree of harmony with all the “other” religions you menrioned.
    While we are at this subject: For people like us, and I still hope we are in the majority, it is not only about tolerance, but actual SURVIVAL.
    I am convinced, IF “they” get the upperhand, our existance, the way we know it, and even our life will be forfeited.
    THAT I would have added to your writing.
    In other words PEOPLE OF ALL RELIGIONS SHOULD BAN TOGETHER TO RESIST THIS BARBARIC
    GROUP OF PEOPLE (Easy to say but it might come to that.)
    Regards,
    Jan
    ps: And political correctness should be banned. Because that is whaTis stopping us
    Jan

2. Brenda Homefield-Rosenzweig September 14, 2010 at 8:32 am #

All the evidence is clearly available….So,
    what will it take to CONNECT the dots?

3. Lee Boyland September 14, 2010 at 8:52 am #

Excellent, Marshal!

You said, “Sure, some Christian ministries proselytize,…” and I would interject BUT NOT BY THE SWORD.

My thoughts are expressed in my latest article found at:

4. Ron Kenerly September 14, 2010 at 8:58 am #

Islam is not a religion as Christians know it. The Quran is not a book such as the Bible that Christians try to live by, it is an instruction book on how you will live your life in every aspect, which openly includes the elimination of those that do not follow the instructions in the Quran.
    Muslims want one thing and demand another. They are willing to kill those that oppose them and die to enforce their demands.
    All of this is old hat info, the problem is that most people do not either care or realize any of this after having this information handed to them many time over.
    After returning form 10 years and 4 months of living in the Middle East, I have drawn one conclusion which I feel is the only way to stop this on-going problem.
    Either all of the Muslims on the face of the earth, or all of the Christians have to be eliminated. As long as there is one person of the opposite belief left alive there will be a conflict. So, as I see it, this is the school of thought the Muslims are following and the sooner all the “other” people of the world come to understand this the better…..maybe.

5. Kee September 14, 2010 at 9:08 am #

How long will it take for Muslims to deny 9/11 as they are doing the Holocaust?

6. Brenda Homefield-Rosenzweig September 14, 2010 at 10:03 am #

I’ll attempt to respond to my comment above.
    I will share my “theory”, that, following the WTC destruction, we, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE,some (300 million of us), have been suffering from
    the syndrome we’ve come to identify as PTSD!
    The Mental Health Community has learned much about the syndrome, and have made headway in helping our traumatized veterans cope with the devastating psychological fallout.
    I posit, that as a NATION, we have been left UNTREATED since the TRAUMA of 911! With “questionable” LEADERSHIP, we’ve been abandoned, left to “cope” as best we can. Perhaps, we’re now simply witnessing the resulting INABILITY,a PARALYSIS,a futile, unfortunate “head-in-sand” expression of “willful” BLINDNESS. “What we’ve got here, is a failure to communicate”- manifested as a partial/total shut-down, of the very CAPACITY to COMPREHEND/TOLERATE any/all evidence & information,( perceived to be even ‘potentially’ upsetting,or attacking our now,very fragile, damaged defense systems. Just a thought,friends.

7. gloriadisanto@sbcglobal.net September 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

MARSHALL,
    WELL DONE THANKS AGAIN’
    GLORIA DISANTO

8. Jeff Kelly September 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

I spent a year in East Africa and five months in Afghanistan as a consultant for the World Food Program. My muslim staffers were intelligent, friendly and honest. Yes, they were the “salt of the earth.” However their dogged submission to authority, any authority, was perplexing. It was like they were hardwired to follow orders from above. My theory is they get this from Islam, which incidently means “submit.” And what may have started out as a religion has morphed into a cult of domination by a mad and dangerous theocracy.

9. Thomas Ault September 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

The question is, “When does tolerance begin” and “Idiocy end”.

There is no answer for sane people. As these things continue, those of us that are or at least have been, reasonalbe, are no long reasonable.

Hatred is dangerous. I have it and you have have it, all of you. We were born with it.
    It is our responsibility to act now to coral the hatred of those we don’t understand.

I think that it was once said, no a quote, that we hate what we don’t understand……how true that is today.

Maybe be all need to understand. I have friends from all faithes and will not change.

I am a Christian. Marshall is Jewish. So What??

We both believe in one God. That God is a loving, caring, forgiving God………..that is all there is to it.

10. Larry Mathieson September 14, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

Thomas, I couldn’t agree with you more. Marshall, you have now validated my previous criticism of you and your generalizations of all Muslims as being evil and violent. Here is a link to a brief history of the slaughter of muslims by Christians going back to the 8th century up to the present day. Your ignorance of history is astounding in scope. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Muslims.

I too have friends of all faiths, including muslims and will continue to value them as human beings, regardless of their beliefs. Marshall, you dignify your comments by wrapping your comments in the cloak of patriotism. There is a difference between raising patriotic awareness and fomenting hatred. You know which side of the line you’re on, don’t you?

11. Ed Hensley September 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

Hidden Camrea Video from Paris, shows how
    muslims totally disrespect all people but
    their own brainwashed fellow muslims. The
    five minute video has warnings for America.

On a bright note, it appears the French Public has had it with Islam’s creeping Sharia Law & Counter Demonstrations are now
    taking place. Don’t hold your breath, waiting for US MSM to report this though!

“Muslims Take Over Public Streets in Paris”

12. JKR September 15, 2010 at 10:02 am #

Larry,

Sorry that most of us don’t live up to the tolerance, intelligence and knowledge that you see in yourself. But what if you are wrong in your view of the issues and yourself?

Anyone who uses Wikipedia as a source is limiting himself to a source with both factual and false content placed there by anyone who has a computer. It is a prohibited source for research papers in some universities.

Check your history a little further and you will see that the “…slaughter of Muslims by Christians…” was begun as self defense, a response to the invasion by the Muslims.

Unfortunately, present-day tolerance is a single edged sword with the blade at the throats of all but Islamist radicals.

Keep it up Larry. You’re fun to read, eno tnagorra.

13. Stephen Borkowski September 15, 2010 at 10:14 am #

Please read Cal Thomas’s article in Townhall titled ‘Purging Evil’on the net this past week. The last paragraph is about Syria(yes, I said Syria)having gov’t agents monitoring what is being preached by imams in mosques and schools concerning hate and religious intolerance.
    We don’t have to either kill all the non-muslims or all the muslims. What we have to do is prevent the brainwashing of young, naive children. Using Cramer using a disclaimer as an example, I have proposed for 27 years the use of a disclaimer by any teacher of religion (religion being an integrel part of history) which states that certain things taught are based on faith and not empirically proven fact.
    I am sure all 0f you can remember what your earliest indoctrination to religion was and how the thought of any skepticism never was in your mind and I submit that if you were raised in a muslim environment you would be a muslim for a while and not what you were raised as. Force is not the answer. Education at the youngest and naiive stage of life must be mst rational and best on facts as more important than faith. O Galileo, we need you again!

14. Red Hunt September 15, 2010 at 10:22 am #

You should go back a few more centuries and check out Muslim’s first raids on Christian communities. These were carried out even before Mohammad completed his Koran.

Marshal’s list is not general it is specific to this current era and to this current year not a thousand years ago.

Larry, you are right we hate what we do not understand. I do not understand “honor killing,” I do not understand beating women, I do not understand “suicide murderers” or parents who encourage their children to be strapped with bombs to kill innocents.

People keep talking about moderate Muslims. Where in the hell are they and why can’t they stop the madness?

15. Chris September 15, 2010 at 10:22 am #

One reply asked how soon it would be for Muslims to deny 9/11 like denying the holocaust? Muslims, specifically a close aide to the Imam who wishes to build the Mosque at ground zero, are maintaining that Muslims had nothing to do with 9/11…but that it was all a government conspiracy.
    Personally, I am wondering how we grant first amendment rights to Muslims, when Sharia law will then violate womens rights, due process, and any number of other constitutional rights granted to ALL citizens of the United States. If, God forbid, it was discovered that our president is indeed a Muslim, how does he stand on Sharia Law? I do not think there is any such thing as a moderate Muslim, based on the Quran and its teachings. Always remember that the Quran teaches that any conflict found in its pages, cedes to the newer or later writings…and those are the most violent, most extreme, and most dangerous.

16. Ray T September 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

I believe almost all terrorists are muslims…they will kill their own as well as any other person in less than a heartbeat they are without a doubt dangerous, violent, and hateful more than any so called “religious group” breathing

17. Frank September 15, 2010 at 5:35 pm #

Larry,

Your ignorance of the scope of the events that are happening today is astounding. You continue to drag up the past using one cite that is totally inconclusive while ignoring the atrocities the occur on a daily basis in the Muslim countries. Young boys having their arms run over by a vehicle for stealing food, women being stoned to death, be-headings and homicide bombers. You choose to ignore the signs of well documented atrocities and blame the Christians for something that happened hundreds of years ago. How is that relevant to the present?

Marshall has researched and documented all of these incidents while you spout off about things you know nothing about. Sorry but your intellectual rants don’t pass the smell test. Do you know which side of the line you’re on?? we certainly do….