THIS AND THAT: AUGUST MUSINGS

Thoughts that come to mind reflecting over the past month.

1) JetBlue Flight Attendant, Steven Slater, is a jerk. (my opinion) What may seemed like an enviable act of courage, it was, in fact, an act of stupidity for which he should not serve as an example to others. Rude customers comes with the territory in service jobs, especially those dealing with a high volume of the public. That’s life.

2) Polls show that 20 percent of Americans now think that Obama is a Muslim, up from 11 percent. Count me among them. To me, it’s obvious. America was duped in 2008. A recent CNN poll also reveals that 60 percent of Americans doubt his birth records. Count me in as well.

3) Boo to the PGA. Golfer Dustin Johnson got the royal screw when officials docked him two strokes for grounding his club in a patch of dirt they called a sand trap. Otherwise, he was certain to be in the three-way playoff for the PGA Championship, with a possible prize of $1.3 million.

4) The due sensitivity of Americans and families of three thousand 9/11 victims should take precedence over the sensitivities of Muslims who want to build a mosque next to Ground Zero. A mosque can be built anywhere. The site of the attack is immovable.

5) Solution to the drug wars all over the world and in the U.S.: Legalize, tax and control. No black market? No crime. Cartels are out of business, so are street gangs. Courts, prisons and cops would depressurize case loads and taxpayers would benefit from redistributions of funds for more effective purposes. Meanwhile, studies show, drug use would diminish.

6) We should relocate the United Nations from New York City to Haiti. I can think of many advantages, especially the surge it would create to the economy of that struggling nation. The United States is voted down 77 percent of the time by third world countries, (to whom we provide foreign aid) while footing 22 percent of the annual operating costs, equaling $440 million. This would save enormous taxpayer dollars plus eliminate an open door policy for spies, insurgents and diplomats who abuse their immunity.

7) I don’t care if men marry men or women marry women. It’s better for people to love, not hate. Plenty of that to go around. Same sex marriage seems awkward and outside the box, but when I really think about it… so what?

8) Ever notice how Islam dominates the happenings in western affairs these days, compared to ten years ago? How much more in the next ten years? Twenty? With Islam, comes Sharia. Folks in denial choose to wear rose colored glasses. That’s dangerous for the future of western cultures.

9) The Glenn Beck rally in Washington D.C. drew a half million Americans, demonstrating peacefully for love of country, without spewing hate. What’s so bad about that? I enjoyed watching a taste of patriotic unity for once.

10) The prison system in this country is a national disgrace. There is no rehabilitation, no rights, very little schooling and preparation for release after long periods removed from society. That spells bad news for more crime victims, and high recidivism rates. Meanwhile, prison inmates are being used for slave labor while factories and corporations lay off workers at $9.00 an hour, in order to out-source to inmates at 50 cents an hour. Are you surprised, that corporations hire lobbyists to pass laws to keep the prison populations at maximum?

11) Another direct hit from a major hurricane to New Orleans would portend the end to a great city. Survivors would eventually migrate elsewhere.

12) America’s Got Talent has evolved into a junkie show with mostly circus acts and hip hoppers performing over audiences that scream constantly on command. But once in a while, comes a diamond in the rough, which is what happened with this 10 year-old child, Jackie Evancho. Enjoy:

Click here: YouTube – America’s Got Talent – Jackie Evancho

15 Responses to THIS AND THAT: AUGUST MUSINGS

1. Harold Swift August 30, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

“I don’t care if men marry men or women marry women. It’s better for people to love, not hate. Plenty of that to go around. Same sex marriage seems awkward and outside the box, but when I really think about it… so what?”

Your brain has been washed. Get the cure.

2. Ron Kenerly August 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

Everything is OK with your thoughts, I agree except you are sure dead wrong on #7 completely. This is not meant to be and it should not be tolerated by any means.

3. Neal Stannard August 30, 2010 at 1:24 pm #

Intelligent musings, and CONCISELY put, Marshall! In order:

1. Hear, hear.

2 AND 8. Who gives a flying rip? Muslims are as Muslims do…just liker Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, athieists, agnostics and rooster worshippers. While radical Islam poses a real and present danger, so does radical Christianity. So do all forms of religious intolerance.

3. Yes.

4. And the LAW should take precedence over both. We are a nation of laws, not opinions or sensitivities.

5. Yes.

6. Cute idea. Whether or not the alternative is Haiti, this organization–which SHOULD be the best hope of man of Earth, but isn’t–certainly shiows no gratitude to the country that hosts it.

7. Glad to haer it said. Those who fall under the L, G, B or T banners face enough practical difficulties, without undergoing society’s disapproval as well.

8. See above.

9. If that’s all it was, Marshall, I’d agree with you. Unfortunately, too much of what I heard Saturday involved bashing of those who did not toe the ultra-Christian, homophobic line of Mr. Beck and his colleagues. Peaceful demonstration is what the USA is all about. Blaming your problems on those who conduct themselves differently in their bedroom or house of worship is not.

1O. and 11. You’re 1OO% correct.

12. Even if a cheap setting, cream weill rise to the top; hooray for Jackie.

Neal Stannard
    Vero Beach, Florida

4. Bill Solen August 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

1. Agree, he was rude, selfish and used poor judgement.
    2. Agree
    3. Don’t care, too much importance and money placed in sports.
    4. Agree
    5. Disagree, there will always be drug crimes just as there are stolen cars and fake driver licenses. ‘Government control’?, I have to doubt that. I think it would lead to more pocket change for most politicians. Also, redistribution of funds?, we have made billions on the lottery which boasts how much has been used for education but schools are still under funded and many have or are closing. Better keep big gov’t out of that one.
    6. I think that could work.
    7. Completely agree.
    8. Agree, I recently read an article where the Islamist extremist group al-Shabad attacked a Mogadishu hotel killing 30 people. It only gets worse.
    9. Agree completely.
    10. Don’t completely agree. I know how you feel about the prison system being, in many ways, ineffective which I will agree with. However, some of those folks need to be where they are and absent a better plan at least they get fed and watch cable TV.
    11. I agree since post Katrina, half the population never returned. Many areas are still destroyed. Further destruction would put and end to New Orleans and it would become a ghost town. They are also still dealing with the oil spill in which generations of fishermen have already called it quits.
    12. True, one out of every 500 show some level of talent. However, don’t think I’ll sit in front of the TV waiting for the kid. I did see a portion last week when some guy burned everything on the stage and then cried when they told him he did good. Sad..

5. millicent gustafson August 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

I agree with all. I have wanted to get the UN out of our country and wallets for years. complete waste of money.
    Also wanted to legalize drugs for the reasons you mentioned, plus the waste of putting drug users in jail.
    as for the marriage question. why the heck can’t people mind their own business!

6. JKR August 30, 2010 at 5:27 pm #

Neal,

Add a couple of words to your resume: Christophobic and heterophobic.

Too often those who consistently group others as intolerant are themselves the most guilty of intolerance.

Ironically and unfortunately, in today’s world we may need to be a little more Islamophobic.

7. Del Foster August 30, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

On number 3….PGA followed up with a similar ruling against Jim Furyk for being late for his tee time for the Pro-Am. What about strike three and you’re out! Or at least a little understanding for crying out loud.

8. marvin wiley August 30, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

I still posit that if you are correct, “Manchurian Candidate”, that it is too late as the CIA, Secret Service, NSA and most assuredly the Hoover FBI have, as Richard Clark stated…..”we have failed you”. But then we caught the Marxist and fixed them real good; thanks to McCarthy…….we found that MLK fooled around and had Marxists leanings, Truman, V.P. did not know about the A-bomb, and Alexander beheaded the doped up Apithia at Delphi and Nostradamus missed this great conspiracy but was right about “Hister”.

Why don’t “we” make a Public Records Request from the aforementioned public agencies.You know how to read what they may black-out….then you would have more proof that our federal protective agencies have been lying to us for over 60 years.

Some Presidents have had business as well as home dinning status with Saudi Arabian kings and princes; was head of the CIA, Ambassador to Iran, President and Vice-President. It seems that the best Manchurian Candidate would have come from that Muslim country.

Lastly, you should remember the law enforcement street hazards of dealing with veterans who had served in Southeast Asia and was hooked on every drug in that part of the world.

If drugs are legalized by 06:00 Hrs. tomorrow morning, I do not think a million people are going to go out and get a “hit” by 06:00 hours next year….but the politicians will still get their cut, albeit a few million less per public seat.

I muse….should we give politicians the choice to put their left or right hand on the Bible or just plead the 5th at the time they are sworn in.

Click the following to access the sent link:

Bombshell: Barack Obama conclusively outed as CIA creation*

SAVE THIS link FORWARD THIS link

Get your EMAIL THIS Browser Button and use it to email content from any Web site. Click here for more information.

*This article can also be accessed if you copy and paste the entire address below into your web browser.

9. Nick August 30, 2010 at 7:36 pm #

Jackie is AMAZING.

10. Bahia Abrams August 30, 2010 at 10:34 pm #

Hi Marshall — I was impressed with all your points. But 10-year-old Jackie — WOW. She is going places. Thanks for sharing it.
    . . . . Brenda

11. Dan August 30, 2010 at 10:52 pm #

Marshall, evidently you missed the fact that, for a 5th of whiskey or whatever, the underpaid clerks who issued birth certificates or handled hospital records would put anything on the certificate the applicant (usually, but not always, the parent) wanted. My guess is that 30% at least of birth certificates issued before the computer era were not totally factual. Let’s open up the whole national B/C record issue. Should be fun!
    Traffic in baby-selling (the Boss Crump Organization in Tennessee specialized in such commerce) had a lot to do with record manipulation. You were a cop, do a column on it!

12. Thomas Ault August 30, 2010 at 11:17 pm #

can’t agree on NO. 7, but then you know I don’t always agree with you.

13. Charles H. Dore August 31, 2010 at 8:00 am #

Friend Marshall, will treat the “musings” in the order written and sent:
    1. Wasn’t there so I can’t make a determination.
    2. If I were trained to Muslim theology, I;d at last favor it especially since I’ve not embracsd another, he therefor favor the Muslim laws and traditions.
    3. Used to play golf and was on both high school and college teams. Don’t watch or follow it anymore – can’t comment.
    4. Agree completely; what’s happened in TN can happen in NYC. We must “stand forth and strong” if the government doesn’t represent the feeling of the people.
    5. Not in favor of drugs, but agree! Harden criminals should serve full sentences and those with little more that a misdemeanor should be sent home with a “GPS bracelet”. All should work under controlled conditions and pay for their keep.
    6. Anywhere but the USA and a Resignation by us – no part or funding of a proven bad thing!
    7. As long as they don’t live in my house or allowed to raise children, could care less!
    8. Natural Gas, drill in the USA and limit imports and the Muslims will be back in their tesnts without a canopy!
    9. 100% Correct!!!!
    10. See answer to No. 5.
    11. It’s underwater in the first place and should be relocated!
    12. Don’t follow any of that crap!
    Don’t care if I offended any of your readers as I have my own pinciples….
    Charlie Dore

14. David R. Ward September 1, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

Hey Marshall,

Your on point and I agree with them all except number 7. Why can’t they continue to live in domestic partnerships. Why do we have to give in, why can’t they give in? and because I have writen this statement I will be lableled. Why am I labled and they have the right to free speech and their opinion to forward a notion like this without being labled and yet when I say something against their notion, using my opinion, someone will lable me a hater, which I am not.

I hope I made some sense of what point I am trying to make.

David R. Ward

15. Galen October 8, 2010 at 5:56 pm #

Amazing! I agree wholeheartedly with points 1-12! Marshall Frank for president in 2012! Ron Paul for vice president in 2012! Let’s start printing up the signs and bumper stickers!