BEWARE THE BACKLASH VOTE

There is an old saying about watching out what you wish for. You might get it.

Very often, new presidents are elected, not because people vote for a candidate, rather, they vote against a candidate. I fear that’s what will happen in 2008.

Those of us over fifty will well remember. By the time 1976 came around, the national electorate had become so mired with negativity within the Nixon administration, we were ready for a change at any cost. Decent as he was, Gerald Ford’s two year stint did nothing to alleviate the image of the Republican party which had sunk to its lowest of depths following the Watergate scandal, the embarrassment of Spiro Agnew, the administration jailbirds and the whole Nixon enchilada. “Out with the Republicans, those dirty bastards.”

In 1976, we desperately sought honesty. We wanted morality. We wanted a new squeaky clean image. We wanted pacification, not aggression. We wanted compassion not intolerance. We wanted a uniter, not a divider. The nation was ready for a “change.” (Hmm…that word sounds familiar)

We got what we wanted. Jimmy Carter.

Whoops!

Now, 2008 is a mirror image of 1976. Americans are fed up with G.W. Bush and his lot, including Dick Cheney and the Republican party in general. Corrupt officials. A sagging economy. Immigration crises. Radical Islam rooting in. Questionable motives for the Iraq war. Our credibility around the world is at an all-time low. By all means, we should demand “change.” Again, people will be going to the polls, not necessarily voting for, but voting against.

Watch out, you might get what you wish for.

During the four years following Carter’s election, he would show the world how the Republicans had it all wrong. He’d fix it. Well, we certainly got a moral man in the White House. Blinded by passion and frustration, the voters also got an inept president whose policies plunged the nation into new depths of economic instability and an international image that was damaging to say the least.

Hand-out programs flourished. Taxpayers suffered. Inflation soared from 4.8 percent in 1976 to nearly 12 percent in 1980. The deficit jumped from $27.7 billion to $59 billion. Unemployment rose to 7.7 percent. People were out of work, and the cost of living spiraled out of control. By the end of his term, Gallup Polls has his approval rating hovering at 21 percent.

While Carter brokered a peace treaty between Israel and Egypt, little else was accomplished on the international front. His cutbacks in military spending helped embolden the Soviet Union to become an even mightier foe. The Ayatollah ousted the Shah of Iran and ushered in a new wave of Islamic extremism throughout the world, which the non-Islamic world is dealing with to this very day. The hostage crisis brought the U.S. to its knees, showing the world we were a paper tiger. Fidel Castro pulled off a coup, opening the doors to Cuban jails, prisons, mental institutions, hospitals and the handicapped and sending them all off to the shores of Florida for the U.S. to deal with. Carter — Mr. Nice Guy — welcomed 125,000 Cuban refugees via the Mariel Boatlift of 1980, creating an unprecedented economic and social crisis, not to mention a crime wave that saw murders and rapes double and triple in certain parts of the country. I know. I was there.

What a guy.

Volumes have been written about Carter’s failure in office. Suffice to say, he was elected as a backlash against a political party Americans desperately wanted out of power. The same is about to happen in 2008.

I’m as disappointed as the next person with the final choices in this campaign. There were other candidates with substance on both sides of the aisle that I preferred over these three. Be that as it may, we must choose smartly. History teaches us to avoid emotion when making such serious decisions. Rather, we must use common sense and heed the lessons we’ve learned over time.

This coming election may well be the most vital of all time for the survival of America. We can’t afford to get it wrong — again.

32 Responses to BEWARE THE BACKLASH VOTE

1. gloriadisanto March 25, 2008 at 9:56 am #

HI MARSHALL,
    GREAT LETTER,KEEP THEM COMING.
    GLORIASGRODISANTO

2. Fran Hockemeyer March 25, 2008 at 9:58 am #

My thinking on this tho is while I agree w/all you say . . . .I will NOT vote for McCain. Let me tell you why.

We “accepted” less than our standards to elect our current Bush, who made promises to Republicans, which he never kept.

He has all but destroyed, & discredited, the Republican party and the conservative movement in this country during his 8 years in office.

He’s stood by and watched as we’ve been invaded by illegals who are sapping our resources and destroying our country, among many other issues!

I’d rather elect a Democrat this time & let them ruin the country . . . then in another 4 years we may have a decent, honest, Republican choice . . and the citizens of this country will be really ready for a change! Just as they were after Jimmy Carter!

You know, ALL these presidential candidates want amnesty for illegals . . .so our votes will mean nothing after this next election . . as once they can all vote, they only vote their heritage.

Witness our own Mel Martinez, who sponsored/wrote the amnesty bill. And, my own Congressman (a finger they created from Miami/Dade!) Diaz-Balart! Both Republicans, yet neither cares about anything but making amnesty for illegals!

Mel Martinez even went on the evening news during the voting in Congress on this issue & said for people NOT to bother calling, writing, etc. his office to voice their opposition as he didn’t care that 70% of the voters did not want it . . .he thought it was what he wanted to do and he was going to do it!

It will only get worse . . . .

3. Ron Kenerly March 25, 2008 at 10:03 am #

You are so correct!!! GOD help us all if the American public votes solely for a “woman” or solely to change America by puttng a blackman in the Presdential office for the first time…. If this happens, they will certainly make history…it will be a history that even the meek will dispare from. America will then be taking the lid off of the worm can, only that can will contain snakes and dragons, not worms.

4. Tom March 25, 2008 at 10:07 am #

How I wish I could disagree with you, but I cannot. Carter was no doubt a wonderful Christian man but unfortunately his leadership abilities were null. I recall well how he deferred to his little daughter’s suggestions as though she was a great mind in a small body. Distressing indeed.

We do not have a good presidential candidate on either side of the equation. It is a pitty that the country has created a situation through over pay to idiots while good pay for a good president is unheard of.

“Little Johnny” can make more money on the internet using Ebay than the president can sitting in the highest seat in the land. It is a shame!

Maybe we should take another look at our athletic figures, divide their money and give it to the president and hopefully find a good one, actually devoted to running the country instead of lining his and his cronie’s pockets. I am sure if we paid those athletes about one-fifth of what they receive they would still be well paid if not over paid.

Sorry about that comment as I am sure it will irritate someone and lead to some disertation about sports, but let’s face it, they are grossly overpaid while our highest official in the land is grossly underpaid. This is the way our country is going – so LEAD ON, ENTERTAINMENT, and to heck with real life.

5. Eduardo Gonzalez March 25, 2008 at 10:30 am #

Marshall…don’t know if you’ve seen recent photos of President Carter…he is all smiles…and the reason is that even he must know that he was Americas worst President….untill…..George II.
    I don’t believe there are worthy candidates for either party, but I just don’t think the country can take four more years of Republican philosophy and it looks like McCain is more closely aligned with Bush than many of us may believe, and not just on the war.
    I think four years of Hillary is an unwelcomed continuation of the Bush – Clinton monarchy we have had in place since George I was Vice President, though I am prepared to vote for her if she is the Democratic candidate.
    And then we have Senator Obama, who is probably the closest to a Carter like presidency in that many folks believe that his change philosophy is what the country needs, but he may not be able to effect the changes properly. I will, however, vote for him if he is the Democratic part candidate…..even if later on I have to write you and acknowledge an error if it happens. Take care Marshall and keep the articles rolling.

6. Nick Sorak March 25, 2008 at 10:42 am #

Most likely, I won’t vote. Who for? Tell me…

Nick.

7. Larry Mathieson March 25, 2008 at 10:52 am #

Hey Marshall: Excellent historical perspective. When considering Obama, Clinton and McCain, I am left pondering the question, “Can I have another choice.”

Obama is without a doubt a great orator, but when you drill down into his positions on issues and his stated program objectives, there will be a big price to pay by the American public to make his visions reality. College education for all and universal health care are only two examples of programs that will cost billions.

Clinton has a history of problems with the truth and a win at all cost mentality that is frightening. When she talks about her ability to lead from day one and who will answer the now infamous 3 AM phone call, it begs the question of which Clinton will really be leading and answering the phone (?)

For someone so experienced, McCain shows a marked lack of political savvy on issues ranging from the economy to foreign policy in the middle east and he has yet to learn the damage sound bites can inflict.

Marshall, thanks for weighing in on these issues. Surely America can do better. I hope that whomever is elected at least has the sense to surround themselves with some of the talented people who should be in these positions.

8. Renay March 25, 2008 at 11:10 am #

I will vote for the Democratic nominee – whoever it becomes. I have noticed McCain
    making mistakes in his recent speeches – aides correcting him – start of Altzeimers?
    I don’t agree with his policy to continue the war – it will be another VietNam – we
    cannot win. Roe-Wade will end. Remember, RW did not start abortion – just took it from the coathanger stage and made it safe.
    A foster child had to ask a judge if she could get an abortion. Pro lifers were there saying Adoption – not abortion. She turned to them and said “I was never adopted” Sad isn’t it? How many pro lifers adopt? And of those who revere life
    (supposedly) who oppose killing fetuses,
    they never oppose sending our 18 and 20 year olds to get killed. Am I missing something? remember, Change is progress.
    and these old issues are bogging us down.
    The old saying applies – the more you stir a bucket of crap, the more it stinks!

9. George Wolf March 25, 2008 at 11:40 am #

I’d hold my nose and vote for McCain as I think he is a better choice than the 2 socialists, er, I mean 2 democrats.

10. Renay March 25, 2008 at 11:53 am #

forgot to add:
    Politicians and diapers need to be changed often – and for the same reasons!

11. marvin schild March 25, 2008 at 12:05 pm #

Marshall. Your basic assumption is incorrect. We got Carter, who was a Democrat, and therefore do not elect another Democrat. I would suggest that the Republican’s have had many lemons also.Ah Nixon. I agree that none of the three candidates are the ones that I would have chosen.

12. Art Horn March 25, 2008 at 1:31 pm #

I would rather have Carter than McCain even today if he were the Democratic candidate. But we do have another choice.
    NADER 08!

13. Mary L. Powell March 25, 2008 at 2:07 pm #

You can’t be serious about Nader, can you? Why don’t you just flush your vote down the toilet.

14. Harry March 25, 2008 at 2:39 pm #

All three candidates, in their own way, have the ability to finish the job of destroying the country through uncontrolled immigration and “give away” programs humorously called “entitlements”. It may be against public caterwalling but the indiscriminate recalling of troops will only embolden Islamic terrorists. This must be done in a manner so as not to loose any ground we have gained. You may acuse me of being xenophobic but I am surely not overjoyed with the proliferation of mosques. The Patriot Act may seem oppressive, but somehow we have to have the wherewith all to monitor the various groups in this country that would do us harm.

15. Art Horn March 25, 2008 at 2:55 pm #

Mary, spoken as a true fascist! Nader is the most coherent of the four.
    Harry, It’s K street and their corporate bosses who are finishing the job of destroying our country. It is they who are getting most of the “entitlements” Mosques, Churches or Synagogues’ they are all houses of hypocracy.

16. Pat Gallotta March 25, 2008 at 3:01 pm #

Your warning misses the big picture: Government is the worst failure of mankind, as history readily verifies, so it really doesn’t matter who is elected President. Government will continue to be controlled by the grasping and greedy, and thus will continue to be the enemy of decent citizens. Also, consider the depth that a candidate must sink to in order to pursue political office. Surely no truly moral person would submit to such a shameful business. And consider the colossal hunger for power that compels a candidate for President. Such a person is obviously too dangerous to trust. For one’s own self-respect, voting should be avoided. Besides, it only encourages them.

17. Frank March 25, 2008 at 3:24 pm #

Oh, oh, there’s Art Horn again. Way to go ARt, you hit the nail on the head again, Jimmy Carter, Dennis Kuchinik and Ralph Nader now take another nap before you hurt someone.

18. Jerry Reichardt March 25, 2008 at 3:31 pm #

Ditto to what Ed G. said. Now I don’t have to think up any thing original.

19. Gladys Broderick March 25, 2008 at 4:11 pm #

To aspire to be President of our country at this time must be either a sign of great courage — or utter madness! Which of the candidates has conducted his or her life with courage against odds? Actually each one in his own way has done this. I would not vote for McCain who demonstrates a taste for war; or Obama, who is lesser known and whose focus seems too racial; so I will vote for Hillary who conquered demons in her personal life and fought, and won, in New York against great odds.

20. Art Horn March 25, 2008 at 5:19 pm #

Gladys,I agree. Of the three she is the only one capable of making a dent in our countries problems.

21. Laura Petruska March 25, 2008 at 5:38 pm #

I just hope that whomever wins our election in Nov. will be able to pull the US together. Just vote intelligently, don’t watch TV from now until Nov.; make up your own mind and read the facts don’t listen to the nonsense,

22. Helen Bennett March 25, 2008 at 6:28 pm #

Let’s all move to Antarctica. At least, the penguins know how to dress.

23. Anonymous March 25, 2008 at 6:29 pm #

I like Nader too.

24. bjb March 25, 2008 at 6:52 pm #

I agree with Laura, in large part I have stopped watching most news programs that focus on the elections. Doesn’t leave a lot of news left. Shame we don’t have a write in candidate that could sweep the nation with such overwhelming enthusiasm that we would have someone to overturn the other 3, massively, decisively. My normal good judgment gives way to occasional wishful thinking but I have, perhaps waning, hope that whoever is elected will help this nation to not be worse off than we are right now. Preferably not at war with anybody.

25. Grace Urrows March 25, 2008 at 7:16 pm #

Someone said Hilary wants to win at all costs. Nothing wrong with that. Fight to win not to play pattycake.
    We are so fed up with a President who can’t deliver more than 4 words in sequence or learn to say nu cle ur that we’re going bananas over a guy just becauser he can make a spleech. The people who lean toward Nader should please remember thbey gave us George Bush. Why don’t wer draft Al Gore? Smart, honest, respected internationally…an American I believe. And ldet’s dump the
    DNCC which is throwing our Florida votes out

26. Ed Hensley March 26, 2008 at 1:10 am #

Good Blog Marshall,

As for the comments, I get the impression
    many feel the Global War on Terrorism is
    just a line of B.S. from Bush/Cheney. I
    offer a snopes.com link, to a Muslim Street
    Protest in London in 2006. Ignore it or
    check it out folks but Islamic-Facism does
    plan to take Eroupe first, then America.

The danger is so real that I will not even
    need hold my nose, to vote for McCain. I
    do detest his “Incumbent Protection Act,”
    now called M/F CFR and I do doubt his promise to secure our borders first, in
    matters of immigration control. But, he
    is the only one still in the running that
    I trust to be C in C.

To Sen. John and Cindy McCain’s credit, their youngest son enlisted as a Marine.

That young man, Jimmy McCain has completed
    one tour of combat duty in Iraq, while his
    older brother continues on in the U.S.
    Naval Academy. Iraq is but one front in
    the REAL Global War on Terrorism. Here
    is glimpse of why we must win in Iraq and
    in every front of this Global War.

27. Rich Moore March 26, 2008 at 8:10 am #

Ron Paul was our last hope…and look what the media and party did to him. It is all over folks….America as we know it is gone.

” Questionable motives”…?Marshall, it is no longer questionable..it is a proven fact: There was a special office staffed by Neocons to specifically advance the lies for war, as part and parcel of the PNAC plan. Ever read the Downing Street Memo? Hmmm? It proved that the whole Iraq invasion and war were for teking territory illegally and the oil resources..now even the bigshots are admitting that.

The destruction we are seeing of our nation is INTENTIONAL, not accidental.The middle class ruination is a plan..and doing great for the globalist NWO folks like the Cheney cabal.

Voting means squat…if the votes go the ‘ wrong way ‘ then the Supreme Court will step in and give it to their pals…as they did for Bush. If the voting machines and party mechanisms cannot seal the deal then the perps always fall back on their cronies on the Court.

Bush and Cheney are criminals…murderers, traitors of the worst sort…all proven fact. Only blinders can stop one from seeing the truth. Quit worrying about the election..it is already decided.

28. Valerie Altman March 26, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

I have to agree with you Pat Gallotta, on your take regarding the bigger picture.

It is truly the love of and for money that catapults those who have visions of grandeur and power to execute whatever it takes to obtain the glory they greedily hunger for. These simple factors place the average citizen in virtually an impossible position to vote logically.

A budding politician’s miniscule thoughts of “being of and for the people” may (and I use that word “may” loosely) have a nanno-second of sanity, but in reality, they must decide either to live in a rose-colored world, which generally leads to failure and loss in the political arena, or fulfill the actions to go in for the kill at all costs and succeed. The vicious results can factually categorize the politician as a criminal.

The entire political process is a gamble at best for the citizen, and gambling results in the gain of one to the loss of many.

However, in all fairness to the voting process, the bottom line for me would be safety of self, citizenry, and country.

29. Bruce Buchmann March 26, 2008 at 9:33 pm #

I’m NPA but I have always voted republican in the big dance. This that is going on with the Dems is typical and a joke. Everything they touch turns to “Third World”.

30. Rich Moore March 27, 2008 at 8:43 am #

The ‘ Dem’s ‘ have not lifted a finger in 8 years and we have seen the ruin of America in that time frame….go ahead and vote in McCaine and see us really bottom out…how many of you supposedly concerned people went to : Patriotsquestion911.com and read the testimonies there? Shame on you….you really have no clue what is going on..

31. bjb March 28, 2008 at 4:39 pm #

This is so frightening that I chose not to wait to your next article to include.

32. Joe Haymes April 1, 2008 at 1:21 pm #

Okay. Now, who do I vote for? I have no desire to vote for McCain, but as things stand, I see no other choice. I greatly fear that Clinton is just not capable of filling the offce. And I see Obama bringing together masses of people who have always been minorities with no political power to speak of, and with that support, he could do anything to our country. What that might be I fear to suggest.